Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

1/2A torture test Kidventure Oshkosh

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

1/2A torture test Kidventure Oshkosh

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 10:51 AM
uliner
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/2A torture test Kidventure Oshkosh

Attached is a few pictures form EAA Kidventure, part of Airventure. For the past 10 years or so, they have been giving kids a feel of wht control line is about. They first started with Cox pt19's then switched to Plastic Skybaby airplanes and Norvel 061's. For the last 5 years or so, the numbers have been betweeen 3-5k flights for the week of EAA. Normally 2 circles run almost all the time from 9- 3:30 each day. The airplanes and engnies are normally started with starters, pounded into the ground and generally abused. Quite a few non modelers help out during the week. And it is get the airplane fuel it (short runs). Grind on it with a starter till it starts, while he engine is still hot. Not an easy life. We use old flexy plastic tornado 6x3 props. The Norvels just don't fail. Sometimes the motor goes lean, then you open up the needle and run it till the needle clears out.

While the airplanes keep expiring, the engines seem to run forever. Some of the engiens have been in service for more than 5 years. This year, the wind we prety bad, and even with the shorter 35' lines (normally 42') a lot of airplanes were broke up. Also rotor downwash from helos flying right over the circle wrecked a few airplanes.

I think only 1 plug went bad all week.

Skybabies have been out of production for a while now, so a new airplane must be found shortly.

It is a lot of fun and a great way to give something back and see the show at EAA.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57379.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	1250609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66126.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	1250610  
Old 08-05-2009, 02:35 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 1/2A torture test Kidventure Oshkosh

Wow, great work! This is the kind of stuff that nourishes the roots of the sport rather than hanging decorations on the branches.

MJD
Old 08-05-2009, 03:59 PM
RocketRob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Uliner,
Exactly how old can a "kid" be to participate?
I've been jones'in to fly a line again.

A good buddy of mine based at the same airport won Grand Champion Seaplane with his Spencer Aircar this year - got home last night.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:12 PM
uliner
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any age, kids parents and grandparents. But becasue of all the people and the limited number of airplanes you never get to go solo..... I am a big guy but it isn't fun the get in a wresteling match..... And some kids just want to drill the airplane into the ground on purpose.

We were flying even after the RC guys hung it up becasue the wind was too high.

I have been doing this about 5 years now and going to EAA for geee 40..... lots of fun.

Dave