Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

dYING NO CHANGING YES

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

dYING NO CHANGING YES

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 10:06 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default dYING NO CHANGING YES

With the massive impact of electrics many ready to go in the box complete with radio (shake the box 3 times charge the battery and fly).This aspect maybe should be considered recreation not a hobby
many of these folks go to the park, maybe play a little ball, run, and fly they are not hobbyists < they do not read Hobby mags or go on this site but are having fun
At the other end large scale has grown by leaps and bounds and this is big bucks I for one love the selection of electric ARFS since I buy just the plane and in go my 06s thru ,10s for IC either glow or diesel martin
Old 08-24-2009, 06:07 AM
ProBroJoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: dYING NO CHANGING YES

I sorta agree Martin, have a look at the "kits" section of the Tower Hobbies website... hardly anything there. Now take a look at the EP, ARF, and giant scale ARF section...
Old 08-24-2009, 09:08 AM
Mr Cox

I don't quite understand what AMB is trying to say (can someone fix him up with a punctuation key? ) but it is sad to see mainly ARF's and foamie's flying...
Old 08-24-2009, 12:44 PM
Jim Thomerson

We do have some ARF's in control line circles, but most airplanes you see are built. Here is where the nostalgia is, if that is what you are looking for.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:31 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The post quality sums up the problem. Without a decent word processor many people don't know how to type why would building a kit be different?
Old 08-24-2009, 05:39 PM
DeviousDave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be fair, as an "average" R/C'er and as a kit manufacturer I have seen some build jobs that were less than tidy but flew fine. Honestly, for what ARF's go for these days there is no way I would build a plane unless it was scratch built from my own design or something really special. I have a closet stacked full of 1/2A kits that will see me thru retirement-for now I am happy to enjoy the fruits of cheap foreign labor. It isn't always going to be like this, so "get yours" while you can.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:57 PM
kpriddle

Guys,

I think that it's been said before...Do what you like and like what you do.  That's put simply!

KP
Old 08-25-2009, 10:43 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Mr Cox

I don't quite understand what AMB is trying to say (can someone fix him up with a punctuation key? ) but it is sad to see mainly ARF's and foamie's flying...
I had a thread about the whole hobby is dying, based on some low priced e-bay items...but it went political and got locked...apparently AMB is just disagreeing with me....Rog
Old 08-25-2009, 06:59 PM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: flyinrog

I had a thread about the whole hobby is dying, based on some low priced e-bay items...but it went political and got locked...apparently AMB is just disagreeing with me....Rog

Rog, my only disagreement with you is that I can't seem to find any of the stuff I want on eBay at a low price.[] If you see any really cheap Space Hoppers, Olympics. longshaft Fox 59s or McCoy 60s let me know.

jess
Old 08-25-2009, 08:17 PM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: jessiej

Rog, my only disagreement with you is that I can't seem to find any of the stuff I want on eBay at a low price.[] If you see any really cheap Space Hoppers, Olympics. longshaft Fox 59s or McCoy 60s let me know.

jess
Well Jess, that was the gist of the other thread, nobody's buying, so nobody's bothering to sell....Rog
Old 08-25-2009, 08:41 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Rog, when was the last time a thread got locked here? Remember that ram induction thread about 6 years ago? I think it was started by Mr. Clean......
That one got pretty wild and I don't even think it got locked.

I've seen a pretty big decline in the hobby. The LHS owners are hanging in there, but I don't think the future is bright if the population keeps spreading into the open spaces. Relatively cheap land big enough to fly over will get more scarce. The kind of man who thinks flying models for fun will become more scarce, too. It takes too much effort for today's man and the pure joy of the whole experience is dampered by all the ARFs. Planes that can fly circles around the planes that only a master craftsman could build 25 years ago are just a credit card swipe away now. 3D was the last great frontier for outdoor flying that only a select few could do well. It pumped new interest in the hobby for me. Nowadays a 5 year old can hover a 40% gasser with all the factory engineered components.
So my point is that there are several forces working against the hobby from different angles.
But who cares?
As KP says, do what you like and like what you do.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:07 PM
jessiej

jess
Well Jess, that was the gist of the other thread, nobody's buying, so nobody's bothering to sell....Rog

Actually I have found quite a few of those items for sale and lots of people bidding on them. My problem is that thus far there have been plenty of folks bidding more than me.

jess
Old 08-26-2009, 05:09 AM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Rog, when was the last time a thread got locked here? Remember that ram induction thread about 6 years ago? I think it was started by Mr. Clean......
That one got pretty wild and I don't even think it got locked.

I've seen a pretty big decline in the hobby. The LHS owners are hanging in there, but I don't think the future is bright if the population keeps spreading into the open spaces. Relatively cheap land big enough to fly over will get more scarce. The kind of man who thinks flying models for fun will become more scarce, too. It takes too much effort for today's man and the pure joy of the whole experience is dampered by all the ARFs. Planes that can fly circles around the planes that only a master craftsman could build 25 years ago are just a credit card swipe away now. 3D was the last great frontier for outdoor flying that only a select few could do well. It pumped new interest in the hobby for me. Nowadays a 5 year old can hover a 40% gasser with all the factory engineered components.
So my point is that there are several forces working against the hobby from different angles.
But who cares?
As KP says, do what you like and like what you do.
Oh I agree CP, I've seen the AMA mag with kids that cant drive yet have 40% extras that are probably $3k? altogther, radio engine ? He's probably not ever gonna care or even see about 1/2a..and the "non-hobby" people that get the parkflyers ,,are also the people that find out you have to spend $400 or so for a trainer to get in the air (yes it could be done for less) then spend $100 to join a club and another $60 to the AMA, and it adds up quick, and now is not the time for that...I like flying when I go, I just havent had a great year and we are on 4 day work weeks,,more time, less money...thought about selling some of my stuff, but it seems its worth as much sitting around as it is on the bay....Rog
Old 08-26-2009, 09:01 AM
build light

Quote:
"With the massive impact of electrics many ready to go in the box complete with radio (shake the box 3 times charge the battery and fly).This aspect maybe should be considered recreation not a hobby"

I realise what you are saying and would have to agree. However there will still be those who love to get their hands dirty and also want and provide for themselves that which cannot be bought in a box off the shelf.
Designers, tinkerers and such bodging together various bits to satisfy no one but themselves but like us still wanting to bond with others who can appreciate what we have made and are ok like minds.

Robert
Old 08-26-2009, 11:15 AM
Silvaire
My Feedback: (50)

Yeah, it all started going down hill back when the AMA ruled that competitors didn't have to build their own airplanes anymore.

When was that, about 1966?
Old 08-30-2009, 12:04 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

I was gonna post this in the other thread, but it got locked...
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9037217/tm.htm
I see that .010 got up to 96 bucks after all...!?
Old 08-30-2009, 11:22 AM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: AMB

With the massive impact of electrics many ready to go in the box complete with radio (shake the box 3 times charge the battery and fly).This aspect maybe should be considered recreation not a hobby
Interesting point. How do we determine what is a "hobby" as opposed to "recreation", or "activity", or sport?

One of my lifelong interests has been motorcycles. I suppose that I think of my racing days as "Sport", while now riding along country roads is "recreation". When I work on the restoration of a vintage bike I am indulging in a Hobby.

Looking at model aircraft from this perspective I see Model building as a hobby while "ARFing is an activity or a form of recreation.

jess
Old 08-30-2009, 12:25 PM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: AMB

Interesting point. How do we determine what is a ''hobby'' as opposed to ''recreation'', or ''activity'', or sport?

One of my lifelong interests has been motorcycles. I suppose that I think of my racing days as ''Sport'', while now riding along country roads is ''recreation''. When I work on the restoration of a vintage bike I am indulging in a Hobby.

Looking at model aircraft from this perspective I see Model building as a hobby while ''ARFing is an activity or a form of recreation.

jess

Depends, generally a hobby costs money to join,,, recreation and activity generally require some form of physical acertion, while a sport generally requires a type of competition with at least one other individual...which also fall under this particular hobby?/ If you just like to fly or practice at it then fine its a hobby,,,if you want to pylon race then its a sport...if you crash way off the field well then its an activity and you gotta go find it....but the hobby itself is taking a hit ...good to see that .010 hit $96, I guess people are still looking after all...Rog
Old 09-04-2009, 04:19 PM
edh13
My Feedback: (9)

I love a "locked thread" for entertainment value. Kinda' like pretending not to watch Jerry Springer out of the corner of your eye. But that was lame "lock". The mod's must have been told to turn up the squelch on the 'bama-meter...

Old 09-04-2009, 11:34 PM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: edh13

I love a ''locked thread'' for entertainment value. Kinda' like pretending not to watch Jerry Springer out of the corner of your eye. But that was lame ''lock''. The mod's must have been told to turn up the squelch on the 'bama-meter...

Interesting considering the location of the Mod (hope we ain't gittin' to political here-anti socialiait an all...)

frank (asumrd name)

Old 09-05-2009, 02:08 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Depends, generally a hobby costs money to join,,, recreation and activity generally require some form of physical acertion, while a sport generally requires a type of competition with at least one other individual...which also fall under this particular hobby?/ If you just like to fly or practice at it then fine its a hobby,,,if you want to pylon race then its a sport...if you crash way off the field well then its an activity and you gotta go find it....but the hobby itself is taking a hit ...good to see that .010 hit $96, I guess people are still looking after all...Rog
I'm amzed to see how much money people are bidding for some of those desk top paper weights. Once all of the "nostalgia freaks" die off, it's all going to be worthless...so smoke 'em if you got 'em because you can't take this stuff with you and none of it will put your great-grand children through college someday.
Old 09-05-2009, 04:01 AM
flyinrog

Yeah CP I'm 50 and remember when .010's were $5...and if we cant get parts they are worthless already...remember the beanie baby craze?...People DID plan on sending their kids to college on that stuff....its an everchanging world...I have a box full of norvels, now there are just parts listed on the bay, well the last time I bothered to look anyway.....no kids, no grandkids, nephews are already in or dropped out of college....as long as its still fun for you than its a hobby, if it takes on a new meaning like building an engine then its just a more expensive hobby....if you get burned out for a while like I have...takes the fun out of it, then its a chore and who wants more chores....?....Rog
Old 09-05-2009, 09:38 AM
R/C Phile

Back on the Arf's and kits thing.. You also have to look at the cost factor. i just bought an ARF Herr Little Extra for 39.99 with the Towers coupon. Some folks figured out how to crank out good quality stuff for very little money and still make a profit.

I can't scratch build one for that little money while at the same time the kit prices have not changed much from the old days.. A kit version of comparable planes cost about the same as the arf except that with the kit, you spend another easy $30.00-60.00 in covering, glue, and hardware, etc

I my renewed interest in the hobby, my new approach is either scratch build (Which is a lot of fun) or buy arf's. Kits would save you time vs a scratch build but if it costs 30% or more over the ARF what's the point?

Again, the point here is not against building, I enjoy it and love me a scratch build.. IMO Kits are going the way of 8 tracks because it seems the mfg's have not bothered updating the approach / pricing since the days of the 8 tracks..
Old 09-05-2009, 10:41 AM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: R/C Phile

Back on the Arf's and kits thing.. You also have to look at the cost factor. i just bought an ARF Herr Little Extra for 39.99 with the Towers coupon. Some folks figured out how to crank out good quality stuff for very little money and still make a profit.

I can't scratch build one for that little money while at the same time the kit prices have not changed much from the old days.. A kit version of comparable planes cost about the same as the arf except that with the kit, you spend another easy $30.00-60.00 in covering, glue, and hardware, etc

I my renewed interest in the hobby, my new approach is either scratch build (Which is a lot of fun) or buy arf's. Kits would save you time vs a scratch build but if it costs 30% or more over the ARF what's the point?

Again, the point here is not against building, I enjoy it and love me a scratch build.. IMO Kits are going the way of 8 tracks because it seems the mfg's have not bothered updating the approach / pricing since the days of the 8 tracks..
They've been discontinued for 1/2 a year now,, they show none in stock,, I agree on arfs vs kits/covering,,,I think there will always be kits, but they will be limited to very popular models, Tiger/Extra/,, that type....Rog
Old 09-07-2009, 05:24 PM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

I'm amzed to see how much money people are bidding for some of those desk top paper weights. Once all of the ''nostalgia freaks'' die off, it's all going to be worthless...so smoke 'em if you got 'em because you can't take this stuff with you and none of it will put your great-grand children through college someday.
My crystal ball works about as well on collectibles as for the stock market . I remember when some of those old obsolete first generation Colt single actions were going for under $50.00.

jess