Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Cox 333 and 334 spring starters

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cox 333 and 334 spring starters

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 07:54 PM
jsesere
My Feedback: (38)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cox 333 and 334 spring starters

Can anyone tell me what applications these are used for. I know one is RH and the other LH, but I don't remember what the difference is. Please give some examples of their uses.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:45 AM
Dukester
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: Cox 333 and 334 spring starters

Are you asking what a spring starter is for or what exact engine those two models fit?

The basic answer is you use it to wind the prop clockwise (from the front) to tighten the spring and then when you let it go it'll spin the prop through the compression cycle maybe 5 to 10 times, which should allow the engine to start. Think of it as a mechanical equivalent of an electric started for bigger planes.

In regards to these, they'll fit any .049 or .051 with a hex drive plate (the bit the prop screw goes into). There are round and hex types and you need a hex type for the little plastic bit to sit on to the torque is transferred to the drive plate.

Older styles of spring starters had a little hook that you put on the prop itself and the pushed the prop directly rather than the drive plate.

You can check out the video linked below to get an idea of how it works.
[link=http://www.sturmtech.com/rc/videos/testors_camel.wmv]Camel test run[/link]
Old 09-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Remby
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Cox 333 and 334 spring starters

Yes, as answered above, there are two types, one is the spring starter. The other, newer ones were called "Snap-Starters". Both had left and right hand throws, but the older ones did not drag on the engine ,and eat a bit of the power, like the later Snap-starters did.
The older ones did not use a plastic front hub part, it was only spring steel.