Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

DNU FIRST KIT BUILD

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

DNU FIRST KIT BUILD

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 09:01 PM
iswenson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DNU FIRST KIT BUILD

Hey,

Stated I would post pictures of my first build. Got a Dats not Ugly (1/2a ugly stick) kit in the mail and began building.

My first step was to take everything out of the box and get a good look at everything.

Next, as seen in the picture, I rubber banded the like ribs together (used a rubber band in the spar indents) and sanded them even.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53575.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	1282259   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65260.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	1282260  
Old 09-25-2009, 09:11 PM
iswenson

Default RE: DNU FIRST KIT BUILD

Next I lined up the peices for the fuselage. One problem I had was the ply formers weren't shaped perfect and the firewall had some damage to it (had a corner broken off). I ended up using them anyways because the the fuselage sides seemed to keep everything tight on a dry fit. Also, I had confusion on what to do with the stringers on the aft (do we use aft for the rear of an airplane?? I am more of a boatsman myself) so I figured how I had it configured would work due to the fact that the horizontal stab would be glued in there. At this point I had glued my fingers together and to balso too many times to count [8D]

Name:	Fd91046.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	1282261   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86176.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	1282262  
Old 09-25-2009, 09:18 PM
iswenson

Here is where I put the balse sheet on the belly and the top of the plane. While glueing the balsa sheet onto the fuse, I broke the fuse side and part of the stringer off. I was trying to get the rear of the plane centered, by force, and put too much into it. Wanted to kick myself after doing it. Went to Michael's and got some balsa wood filler and patched up the spot and used CA to glue it together. It works fine and looks decent, I am still mad I messed it up but I guess first builds are a learning experience.

Name:	Ig10964.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	1282281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17839.jpg
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	1282282  
Old 09-25-2009, 09:23 PM
iswenson

Now the wing. I had already sanded everything down (ribs) so the wing went together rather quickly. Took me untill I glued the TE on to realize that I didn't need the little tabs on the bottom of the ribs. What the heck were those on there for anyways? So you can hold the wing up straight while you are glueing the spars in?? I ended up doing the center rib the way the plans call for (with a hole for a dowel) but I am considering designing something a little different to hold the LE of the wing to the rest of the plane

The farthest right picture is the wing with the top sheeting on, the wing tips (don't know what to call them) and the TE sheeting. I still haven't sheeted the bottom of the wing because Im not sure how or what servo I will mount for the ailerons.

Name:	Mk26644.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	1282285   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15902.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	1282286   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93194.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	1282287  
Old 09-25-2009, 09:26 PM
iswenson

Here is a couple more shots of the top sheeting on the wing, and the wing with the fuse. Its starting to look like a real plane!

My cat approves as well.

Name:	Rn39096.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	1282288   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37867.jpg
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	1282289   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn31541.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	1282290  
Old 09-25-2009, 09:33 PM
iswenson

And that is where I am at. I had some servos/receiver from an older electric plane that may work or may not. If not I am interested to hear where I can get a CHEAP flight pack that will work for this plane. The last picture is of some parts that have been laser cut, but I have no idea where they go (not the elevator, the parts under it). Also, on a thinner peice of balsa sheet there are some rectangular peices, 2 similar sets on the same sheet that the fuse side and doubler were on that I also have no idea where to put. Let me know if I am missing something crucial here.

Also, any hints, tips, words of advice please chime in because I have limited knowledge on building these things.

Thanks!

Name:	Rp42256.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	1282303  
Old 09-25-2009, 09:44 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Looks great! I've been building for awhile and still break stuff before it can be considered done. Better to find all the weak spots while it's still in your hand.
About flight packs, the most expensive way to do this hobby is to try to do it cheaply. You will hear all sorts of different testimonials about how well stuff works. Your first question to ask someone giving advice is....how many flights do you get in per year? 20? 200? Most all this stuff will work for awhile,but the good stuff should last for several hundred flights without question.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:46 PM
forsakenrider

EEEK! the parts you missed are for the wing! I forget what they are called, shear web or something, but they are supposed to go in between the top and bottom spars at the high point of the airfoil.....

edit: found it [link=http://www.airfieldmodels.com/information_source/math_and_science_of_model_aircraft/rc_aircraft_design/shear_webs_in_model_aircraft_wings.htm]Shear Web[/link]
Old 09-25-2009, 09:52 PM
iswenson

Oh I see. That feature is not present on the plans. Anyways am I screwed without them (I can't put them in now)??
Old 09-25-2009, 09:58 PM
forsakenrider

You cant put those ones in now unless you cut them up and but them in each section separately. Thats what I would do, but I have no idea if its really "needed". I guess It depends on what kind of flying to intend on doing.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:15 PM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The pieces from the Fuselage sheet are doublers. They fit inside from the firewall to F2

The pieces shown in post 6 are the spar components. Some how the laser cut file for the ribs has lost the slots in the ribs that it fits into. The way to fix it is as foresaken rider suggests. Cut them into pieces and put them between the ribs. Not totally needed but should stop a bit of twisting I think.
I wouldn't worry about the center section. The sheeting spans across the ribs.
If you really want .. just take out a strip of sheeting behind the 1/4 X 1/8 stringer and put that section of spar in.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:16 PM
vpresley
My Feedback: (162)

Yep center section spar braces. Use lots of glass cloth to re-inforce the center section. That top piece looks like the elevator for the horizontal stab.

Vince
Old 09-26-2009, 07:47 AM
ProBroJoe

Awesome work dude - you weren't kidding when you told me you were really itching to build something!

Looks like you have a handle on the build so far - it's not to difficult once you get going, huh? (I tend to spend a whole lot of time agonizing over the little fiddly bits and progress usually grinds to a halt.) Don't sweat the shear web issue, just use those laser-cut pieces to cut your own shear webs to fit snugly between the main spars, and span rib-to-rib. It's a good idea to make 'em fit well on all four sides (spar to web, rib to web) but no need to get anal about it, just a good habit to get into. Oh, the grain should run vertical and you should have what looks like a mini "I-beam" between the ribs when done properly.

As others have eluded, the wing is most likely strong enough without the shear webs... Oh wait, on second thought, after seeing how you love to yank a plane around the sky, it's probably a good idea to add 'em!

As far as flight packs go - I have to agree with CP here. get yerself a good setup now, or replace it (and possibly a plane) later. Here's a typical setup of mine:

Receiver: Castle Creations / Berg 4L & Receiver Crystal
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...0&I=LXLBY8&P=K
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXMAH446&P=K

Servos: Hitec HS-55
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...0&I=LXTX42&P=K

Battery:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...0&I=LXHBB0&P=K

A switch harness is optional - if you have an easy access to the battery and receiver, you can just plug it in before each flight. So think about making the battery and fuel tank hatch removeable.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJC15&P=ML

Although I've included Tower Hobbies links, these items can purchased from many other on-line RC retailers such as Servo City, Radical RC, BP Hobbies, etc...

Hope this helps,

-Joe

Old 09-26-2009, 08:05 AM
iswenson

I am going to cut out and glue in the spar webs as everyone has told me to do. I will post pics with progress. Im thinking of doing as skaliwag has suggested, glueing to the 1/4-1/8 spars between ribs. Im thinking LE of the spars, but if someone suggests otherwise im open to suggestions.

AS for the doublers (not the ones for the wing) should I cut those and put them in place now or is it to late. Im guessing you don't glue them to the strings but to the fuse sheet for strength.

Last thing is Im still open to ideas on how to mount servos. Thanks guys

-Ian
Old 09-26-2009, 08:35 AM
forsakenrider

iswenson, read the shear web link I posted on my first post, It will make what skaliwag said a little clearer. But the idea is to have an I-beam with vertical grain shear web.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:57 AM
skaliwag

Vertical grain doesn't apply here. But it would be lighter and would save a laser cut piece of sheet balsa.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:18 AM
alcarafa

Congratulations for a first time building looks really good.
For real cheap equipment with fast delivery go here and scroll for whatever you need.
www.hobbyking.com
Old 09-26-2009, 11:24 AM
iswenson

Good article forsakenrider. It really is creating an I-beam from the two spars. I just wish I had asked that question earlier, before I framed the wing up.

Lesson of the day: There are never extra peices in a kit! LOL

anyways Ill update a pic later tonight when I do a little more work
Old 09-26-2009, 11:54 AM
combatpigg

I've never seen a wing with this span and thickness fold supporting the flying weight and likely speed that a 1/2A engine will produce.......with no webbing. I'd web the 3 or 4 inner bays and make the process as easy as I could make it [glued to the back of the spars].
Old 09-26-2009, 12:14 PM
iswenson

Thats what Im planning on CP. I figure do the whole wing because the extra balsa will weight next to nothing. But I am just going to glue to the back of the 1/4 x 1/8 spars.

-Ian
Old 09-26-2009, 12:27 PM
combatpigg

The webbing doesn't need to span the distance between the ribs perfectly, either. I just make sure that each rib has some vertical grain wood butted against it to keep the rib from collapsing. If the ribs aren't allowed to collapse there is very little else that can go wrong even with the biggest flight loads a .061 can dish out.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:29 PM
iswenson

So I don't need a vert. peice spanning from rib to rib?? Can I just butt a 1/4 inch peice normal to each rib?

....so many choices.....

CP i know youve built at least one of these. Do you happen to have an old pic that you could show me. sometimes pictures are worth more than a thousand words
Old 09-26-2009, 02:48 PM
skaliwag

Cut the 3 pieces you did not use (from laser cut sheet) into pieces that fit from rib to rib and between the 1/4 X 1/8 spars.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:05 PM
combatpigg

I had a difference of opinion last year with a Berg RX while flying this DNU. As you can see, Mr Berg won the argument.
You can also see there are no shear webs. The plane went straight in full speed and at least the upper spar is still intact. This will be an easy repair.
I just threw in a little shear web here to show you what I'm talking about. Select a piece of 1/16" or whatever you have, make sure it is firm enough to do some good, then just lay it in like that. It kills 2 birds with 1 stone, it aides both the rib and the spars plus it takes very little time or glue to do.

Name:	Ig11855.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	1282728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72143.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	1282729   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93412.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	1282730  
Old 09-26-2009, 03:36 PM
forsakenrider

Well after folding a wing on one of my other planes today that had the shear web glued to the front of the spars I would really go with the I beam Idea. My DNU also met its maker today but I will at least be able to fix it in a few hours. The other plane is now in the scrap heap. I would say the wing of the DNU is designed like that for a reason so try and keep it as close to the original as possible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.