Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

1/2A Pylon Advice/experience needed`

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

1/2A Pylon Advice/experience needed`

Old 07-02-2003, 01:46 PM
Bubbafly
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/2A Pylon Advice/experience needed`

To all,

I am building a Sig Hummer. Its sole purpose in life will be to go fast and turn left. I do have several questions that hopefully the wealth of knowledge that floats around on this forum wil be able to answer.
1. How many holes can I put and shortcuts can I take with the airframe and have it still hold together, and what are some good shortcuts. I am wanting to get it as light as possible.
2. The motor will be a non r/c Norvel .061. any tweaks here? Prop size and mfg?
3. Can I mount the norvel 45 degree down to put the exhaust under the fuse. I would like to cowl the motor eventually. I have a friend who does carbon fiber small parts.
4. Do I need the landing gear or can I dispense with it?

Any input would be appreciated. I am shooting for 100mph. Is this realistic with this plane and engine combo?

Tim(Bubbafly)
Old 07-03-2003, 01:31 AM
Bijan999
My Feedback: (2)

Why not go with an Ace GLH II kit? With the swept wing and light design it may be faster than the sig. I used to have one with a TD 09 and it rocked.

I know a guy who has this kit. If your interested, email me.
Old 07-03-2003, 12:40 PM
2fast4u
My Feedback: (5)

Toss the gear!!

Mount the engine any way you want, but you may need to flip the plane over to get an easy start without hydo-locking the engine due to flooding.

Tweaks? How much time do you have?! Break in your engine really well (at least 30 minutes run time before all out speed). Run at least 20% oil (I like all Synthetic, no problems in 16 years!), and 25% nitro. Your props will need to be around the 5x4 range. These engines can handle the RPM, trust me!! Play with the props from 4x4 thru 5x5 to find your best combo for the plane. I like to polish the intake and the exhaust port to smooth them out. Last I run 1 shim for high RPM. DON'T run a Cox head or a standard glow plug adapter head with standard plug. You loose way to much compression and RPM.

As for holes.....? That is kinda up to you. If it's a foam wing you can lighten that a bunch, but that's better delt with one on one, or by someone that has some specific answers for you. I have always found that a "CLEAN" plane, even if it is heavy, will keep up with a light plane. "CLEAN" means that it is smooth to the flow of air. No gaps, no extra drag, no covering flapping in the wind etc.

Not much help, but I hope you have fun with it.