Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Which way do they fly Down Under?

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Which way do they fly Down Under?

Old 10-23-2009, 12:30 PM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Which way do they fly Down Under?

ORIGINAL: jeffie8696
I have learned in my old age to nod my head and agree with the smart sounding guy.
That's a bad habit, it is the smart sounding ones that often are overconfident...

I've filled and drained my sink a few times now, it doesn't flow at any speed near 0.6 m/s, and it always turns counter clockwise! [X(]

Old 10-23-2009, 06:51 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it was Vicman (or someone equally mentally . . . er, let's say "proficient") who suggested that water swirls down drains the way it does because of some obscure sub-atomic attraction between water and the heated-up clay used in porcelain.

Obviously, in Southern Hemi-Physics things are just - different. There, that was easy.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:49 AM
vauxhall

Hi Raymond, another offbeat, but, amusing thread.

"I might add to the discussion something further for thought - here in North America and some would argue in any civilized country, we drive our cars on the right side of the road while sitting in the left hand seat.".........GrahamC

Well Graham, here in Australia we drive on the LHS of the road and still believe we're reasonably civilised. I have occasionally seen drivers who choose neither side of the road to drive on and prefer the centre of it. Also we used to see two people ( usually male and female ) sharing the driver's side of the car. This practice has unfotunately almost vanished since seat belt wearing became manditory.
I fly C/L counter-clock-wise..............John
Old 10-24-2009, 06:40 AM
Japanman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now, this leads me to some interesting reflection. I am from "Down under" but live now in the northern hemi.
Actually, where I live now, I am at nearly 90degrees to my native vertical: I am not sure, but this may account for preferring to turn in the vertical when flying RC. I do not fly CL, and going on this, perhaps I had better not try, in case the reptilian part of my brain takes over in some moment of lapse, and I send my plane on a course for some less amicable flying medium, aiming for a preconception of horizontal.

On another note, have you ever had a bit too much to drink and felt like you where spinning around when you lie down with your eyes closed?
Which way was this? (I am pretty sure it was clockwise)
Is THIS because of the bernelli (er.. what was it again?) effect?

This Hobby is excellent for expanding our minds.

J.M
Old 10-24-2009, 07:13 AM
Strat2003
My Feedback: (1)

My club is on our fourth field in the 30-some years I've been a member. At the first three fields landing left-to-right was the default practice and the other direction was used only if the wind forced it. Right-to-left felt odd and there were even guys in the club who insisted that airplanes flew differently in that direction.
Last year we moved to a new field where the wind is most often cross-runway. Some small differences in terrain make the approach from the right a little more comfortable and most guys now come in from that direction. Left hand approaches are starting to feel odd, and the new guys who learn at our field will probably think that planes handle differently in a left turn!
Old 10-24-2009, 07:43 AM
RocketRob

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I found a video of japanman after said flight looking to quench his thirst

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzRRYE90evM]Dizzy Control Line Flyer Seeking Refreshment[/link]
Old 10-24-2009, 08:44 AM
Jim Thomerson

I neglected to say, in my anecdote about building a wrong-way control line airplane, that it is an Australian design called the Demon.

I read that one of the delivery companies has redesigned their delivery routes to avoid left turns across traffic. They realized a substantial improvement in delivery time.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:11 AM
ndb8fxe

ORIGINAL: Jim Thomerson

I neglected to say, in my anecdote about building a wrong-way control line airplane, that it is an Australian design called the Demon.

I read that one of the delivery companies has redesigned their delivery routes to avoid left turns across traffic. They realized a substantial improvement in delivery time.
and major fuel savings because you can make a right on red and do not need to wait for opposing traffic when making a right turn.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:57 AM
Yuu

I think I've seen that drunk in the video somewhere before. He gives meaning to the phrase, "There is no Gravity, the Earth just 'sucks'.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:52 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

I don't have anything intelligent to add to this thread...but somehow I don't think that's gonna matter [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Unless...maybe if you were really drunk and had to close one eye...which eye would you close? Would that depend on which hemisphere of your brain you were using (or maybe not using? ) or if you are in the northern or southern hemisphere?
Maybe it would depend on which direction the room was spinning?

You could enter a spin, loop and roll contest and not need your plane...

Nope...nevermind...like I said...nothing intelligent.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:28 AM
Mr Cox

Well I did a few practical test yesterday and it sure feels awkward to turn the wrong way around the field. I also lost the wing on the last flight and then it really started to spin, anti-clockwise of coarse! [:@]

Good thing is that I now finally got around to shorten the nose in order to correct for CG issues. Having a regular sized battery behind the servos is not a good thing when drilling holes in the ground...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10717.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	1301558   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58469.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	1301559   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78057.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	1301560  
Old 10-25-2009, 01:50 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

[X(]Are you happy now Dnomyar! See what you've caused! It was all funny till someoby crashed a plane. I hope MR.Cox didn't put an eye out while recovering the debris.

Lets just stick to the natural order of things from here on and not attempt to break natures laws, tempting more serious devastation.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:05 AM
Mr Cox

There is a few things that are wrong with the idea of the Coriolis effect being responsible for making people on the northern hemisphere turn anti-clockwise. For example, the effect only acts on the velocity component that is perpendicular to the equator. Lets first assume that the effect is large enough to be noticeable (and it would be on a smaller planet) what would we then actually see?

- we usually take off with the sun in the back (if the wind permits) e.g. going from east to west. Then there is no influence...
Same thing happens when going from west to the east, there is no effect.

- if we take off from the south heading north, then the plane will appear to be turning to the right and would favour a clockwise turn...

- if we take off from the north heading south, then the plane will appear to be turning to the right and would favour a clockwise turn...

So it seems we are all actually fighting against the Coriolis effect when turning anti-clockwise on the northern hemisphere. [X(]

(The water in the sink will do the same thing but because it is a liquid that is being drained, then this will create an anti-clock wise turning vortex, at least that's how I see it...)
Old 10-26-2009, 12:40 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

Oh Dear!

Mr. Cox if I indeed lured you into risky behavior (as some usually deluded individual has suggested) I am indeed sorry.

However, after studying your discussion on the subject (and all the others as well) for many headache-inducing hours, I have come to the following conclusion; perhaps I'm not the only one who has too much spare time on his hands !

P.S. Sorry about your crash, glad you can shorten the nose.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:27 PM
sir crashallot

am i missing something here, when we fly at our field we usually have to takeoff into the direction of the wind and that usually determins the circuits direction weather it be a right hand circuit or left, never have i thought i hate flying left circuits or right circuits , its a bit like saying i hate landing or taking off or i prefer taking off to landing which ever way you like it.

well my answer is i love either circuits though i never used to stick to them id brake off halfway through and do rolling passes and aerobatics across the field in which ever way i like it unless of coarse heres a newbie flying in which case it usually makes them nervous, weird how one thinks about these things, mate i recommend you get some excitement in your life, good question but at my guess they fly like we do and thats which ever way the wind blows
Old 10-29-2009, 07:38 PM
sir crashallot

this is how we do it, and of coarse swap the wind direction resulting in us flying a right hand circuit

Name:	Mj24392.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	1304538  
Old 10-29-2009, 09:01 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

Dear Sir - Sir,

Well your diagram sure cleared up the wind direction question for me. Thanks.

Y' know, I never thought about it before but now I wish I had been born ambidextrous. Then I would probably be bilateral or bidirectional or even ambivalent.

I could fly mode two or mode one.

I could have batted righty or lefty and who knows I might even be playing against those (fill in the blank - - - - ) Yankees tonight. Well I guess its all just wishful thinking.

But thinking about flying into the wind brings to mind that military training field somewhere in the middle of the country that was a circle of concrete a mile in diameter. That way the fledgling pilots could always takeoff and land into the wind. If I am not mistaken (a rare thing by the way) they held some giant scale R/C events there in the distant past.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:33 PM
sir crashallot

i could be even more technical and say they fly upside down lmao
Old 10-30-2009, 02:54 PM
Mr Cox

Well I hope everyone understands that I'm not blaming anyone for this but myself, I'm never quite sure how jokes will go through here, but I thought it was a funny twist to blame it something else rather than myself.

The real reason was poor a pre-flight check, as I took of if only one or two rubber bands, I'm not even sure about how many there were. I had had a poor contact with the aileron servo and was taking the wing on and off. Wasn't really meant to take off like that but with a poor short-time memory I simply forgot all about the wing attachment. It wasn't until I was in the air that I realized something was wrong and on the downwind leg when going in for a landing the wing broke loose and the fuse went on its own spiralling down...

Anyway, I'm not too sorry about that. After a reparing and a few mods the plane now weights about 27 oz (rather than 30 oz) and it now also has a rudder for a bit safer take-offs...

Name:	Nl28515.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	1304937  
Old 10-30-2009, 03:57 PM
sir crashallot

glad to see the plane is repaired, what planeis it as it reminds me of the chriss foss wot 4
Old 10-30-2009, 07:13 PM
Mr Cox

It is called "Sting" and it was designed for a low cost, easy access, Pylon series that was run here in the 90's.
A few standard engines were allowed around .10, and there were minimum limits on wing area and thickness, widest part of the fuse and the overall weight etc.

No one is running that anymore though but the planes are still nice sport planes. The design and dimensions are very similar to a "Stick".
Old 10-30-2009, 09:18 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Boy that sure is a nice way of saying
Raymond made me crash my favorite old airplane.
[sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 10-31-2009, 06:16 AM
sir crashallot

ORIGINAL: Mr Cox

It is called ''Sting'' and it was designed for a low cost, easy access, Pylon series that was run here in the 90's.
A few standard engines were allowed around .10, and there were minimum limits on wing area and thickness, widest part of the fuse and the overall weight etc.

No one is running that anymore though but the planes are still nice sport planes. The design and dimensions are very similar to a ''Stick''.

Mr cox i was thinking it did look like a stick and it appears to me like lots of designs are based round the stick. il have to have a look around and see if i can find or track down some plans for it as i like it.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:55 AM
Raymond LeFlyr

Raymond made me crash my favorite old airplane.
Moohahahahah! My evil plan was successful!
Old 10-31-2009, 09:53 AM
Mr Cox

Remaidened today and it flies really nice now, it's getting cold here though, we had around 0°C. Put in about 5-6 flights trying a few different props, had plenty of rubber bands on the wing and made only lefthand turns!

Name:	Zx71502.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	1305399  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.