Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Why won't my engine keep running? A beginner's boo boo.

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Why won't my engine keep running? A beginner's boo boo.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 01:13 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Why won't my engine keep running? A beginner's boo boo.

When so many of us started out with hollow logs as a first or second attempt at flying, I found how a simple mistake can just ruin our
perception of certain brands of engines.

I recently aquired this cool little Scientific Zig Zag which most likely has never flown or flown very little. Either way, I found two problems that can be attributed to this particular plane.

First, the stock fabric hinges were completely doped over which would make the control stiff and almost nonexistant.
Second, the tank was mounted upside down and at a strange angle locating the pick up tube to the inside of the circle. Of course this would severely restrict engine runs, giving the impression there might be an engine problem.
The engine in this case is an AMF Wen Mac Mark XI 049 and could have been the brunt of many an ugly but otherwise undeserved comment!

Since the tank was buried in the fuse and unseen, one could only assume that it had been installed correctly. This is why it might be taken out of the trouble shooting stage.
The only reason I know it wasn't is because the plane was in need of repair when I purchased it and the wing had been broken from the fuse.

I have to wonder how many little slip ups were made and never found out or
corrected contributing to the ill will towards engine brands, fuel or the
hobby in general!

By the way, did you or someone you know build this one? It would be pretty
cool to know I have one that got away from one of y'all some time ago!
Whoever did build this one really dide a good job otherwise and put a lot of effort into building this plane including the paint and plumbing of the tank. He used a ton of Ambroid too!

Robert
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27109.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	1312963   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48664.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	524.0 KB
ID:	1312964   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86845.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	321.0 KB
ID:	1312965  
Old 11-12-2009, 06:09 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Why won't my engine keep running? A beginner's boo boo.

Robert,

Quite a find. I remember using "lots of Ambroid" as fillets. It may be a chore to dig out that tank...good luck.

Although I have never built the ZigZag, I have built some of the old Scientific kits. They are all somewhat similar.

The builder may have mounted the tank that way because of where the pickup on the engine is located. Did it have the landing gear?

Since the empennage (Walt always called it that) is broken, I'm guessing that you will be making new rudder, stab, and elevators for it. You can do better on the hinges.

I remember my early efforts included sanding the mill marks off the wing and fuselage. Not much hollowing. I remember deepening the landing gear groove in the firewall and glueing some gauze or nylon over the wire and firewall and around the fuselage for ~ 1/2" to keep the LG wire from prying off the engine on "landing", which was usually a bounce and a couple of flips in the grass.

Enjoy it!

George
Old 11-12-2009, 09:25 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Why won't my engine keep running? A beginner's boo boo.

George, it was a chore to dig out the tank. There was no effort to further hog out any more balsa than was done in factory. Typical beginners errors.
One modification from the original construction was made but after it was completed and painted. That would be the addition of a piece of 1/8" plywood on each half of the elevator! This was done after the model was completed and painted.
These were painted purple. See picture.

No landing gear. I think the builder elected not to use it.
I am restoring this one for display. I like the colors and someone really put some effort in this so I decided to preserve it and keep it for display. I am going to leave off the plywood from the elevators

Robert
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55389.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	412.5 KB
ID:	1313185