Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Page Boy

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 10:29 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Page Boy

I bought this kit from Steve at http://www.selecthobbies.com/kitdata...ly%20RC%20Kits when I got my Scoundrel kit. The kit calls for a Pee Wee .010 which I don't want to use so I went to BP Hobbies and got a little electric motor http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...098&pid=gws100

I know it's not an electric forum, but you can build this as a slimmer if you want, I included a PAW .061 in the pictures for a size reference.

The kit is very straight forward, I can't build anything stock, so I changed the nose some. The ends of the stab I put on backwards by mistake, kind of gives it the ugly stick look, the elevator and rudder aren't on it in the picture. I also made the wing about 18", the wood stock is there and I saw no good reason to trim an inch off both tips. I also brought the TE forward near the tips. With this type of wing construction bringing the TE forward gives you washout. I also got rid of the rubber bands, the wing is held on with two magnets from a motor I toasted. I'm also going with the no landing gear option.

So far with a couple of coats of sealing dope , which I made by dumping talcum power into a dope acetone mixture, and 3 coats of white dope brushed on it weighs 3oz with everything but the servo arms, pushrods rudder and elevator, they shouldn't add more than 1/4oz.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ay73540.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	2.59 MB
ID:	1330498   Click image for larger version

Name:	ge95612.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	1330499   Click image for larger version

Name:	ge94782.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	3.78 MB
ID:	1330500   Click image for larger version

Name:	fd92460.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	3.31 MB
ID:	1330501   Click image for larger version

Name:	mk27471.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	3.82 MB
ID:	1330502  
Old 12-09-2009, 12:36 PM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Page Boy

That's neat, Rich. I like your mods. I've been looking at the Page Boy for some time. If I build one, I'll use a TD .010. Do you think that brushing the wood with a few coats of thinned dope will seal it well enough from the fuel? I was thinking of just using clear thinned dope on the whole plane with a few Microlite covering stripes added.

BTW, those must be some good magnets.[X(]
Old 12-09-2009, 01:07 PM
soarrich

I think a couple coats of clear is the normal way of finishing one.

The magnets come out of a brushless outrunner, I would say it's over five pounds to pull them apart. If it is five pounds that would be about 25 Gee's the plane would have to pull to pop the wing off.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:41 PM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tee Bee, I generally use a couple of coats of clear, sanded between coats and then add color trim. I spray on a final coat of Lustracoat clear to fuel proof. I've found the standard dope will not hold up to the 35% fuel needed to run a Tee Dee .010 good.

Here are pictures of my 2. The orange Page Boy is right at 20 years old with 300+ flights with a single channel pulser. The purple has 2 channel micro radio. I sold it a few year back and to my knowledge it is still flying!!

Bob Harris

Name:	Bz77193.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	1330687   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47958.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	1330688  
Old 12-09-2009, 02:05 PM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like how it is all made of sheet balsa. Looks like it can take a slow tumble okay and still hold up good.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:15 PM
soarrich

ORIGINAL: jetpack

I like how it is all made of sheet balsa. Looks like it can take a slow tumble okay and still hold up good.
And the wing takes 20 minutes to build.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:20 PM
flyinrog

I have the roaring twenty with a peewee .020 on it,,same as the purple scheme I bought from Fireman (Brian)..that thing will go out of sight pretty quick...Rog
Old 12-09-2009, 11:51 PM
Silvaire
My Feedback: (50)

ORIGINAL: soarrich

The magnets come out of a brushless outrunner, I would say it's over five pounds to pull them apart. If it is five pounds that would be about 25 Gee's the plane would have to pull to pop the wing off.
I'll be interested in hearing how the magnet wing attachment method ends up working out for you. Even though it may take a 5lb. force to separate them under static loading, with viabration and impact loads in addition to the g-loads you've considered, you may find them coming apart at a time when you'd rather they hadn't.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:30 AM
soarrich

ORIGINAL: Silvaire
with viabration and impact loads in addition to the g-loads you've considered, you may find them coming apart at a time when you'd rather they hadn't.
Being electric I'm a little more confident than if there was a piston going up and down at the front. I've held my hatch on a SR250 with a digital camera on it doing high gee outside loops, so I'm 95% confident that it will be OK.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:52 AM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the info, fellas.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:22 AM
Big Al-RCU

Don’t overlook a small toothpick sized peg at the leading edge and a single 4-40 nylon screw on the trailing edge for a wing hold down. They’re cleaner than gum bands and no worry about those tiny magnets holding power. Works for me.
Al
Old 12-11-2009, 06:49 AM
rrragmanliam

ORIGINAL: Big Al-RCU

Don’t overlook a small toothpick sized peg at the leading edge and a single 4-40 nylon screw on the trailing edge for a wing hold down. They’re cleaner than gum bands and no worry about those tiny magnets holding power. Works for me.
Al
Magnets work great and are "cleaner" because they are invisible. The little button type rare earth magnets work the best. For a plane this size a dowel in the leading edge and and 2 magnates (one at trailing edge, one in fuse) put where you would use the nylon screw will do the trick. The wing will not come off in flight.

I have a microstick with a TD.020 thats a aerobatic rocket with this set up and have never lost the wing. Additionaly you need no tools to remove the wing, it's very convienent.

Darren

BTW Nice plane Soarrich, I've been eyeballin Bob Harris's kits for a few years, I'm going to have to break down and buy a Lil' Roughneck someday.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:53 AM
soarrich

ORIGINAL: Big Al-RCU

Don’t overlook a small toothpick sized peg at the leading edge and a single 4-40 nylon screw on the trailing edge for a wing hold down.
I thought about doing it that way, but I wanted to try the magnets. I was going to put two magnets at the front to hold the front on, but decided to go with a little fiberglass cuff rapping around the leading edge of the wing for weight reasons.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:06 AM
soarrich

ORIGINAL: rrragmanliam

Magnets work great ................with this set up and have never lost the wing. Additionaly you need no tools to remove the wing, it's very convienent.

Darren

BTW Nice plane Soarrich, I've been eyeballin Bob Harris's kits for a few years, I'm going to have to break down and buy a Lil' Roughneck someday.

That's a releive to know, I like the just snap together aspect also.

Thanks about the plane. I was looking at the Minnie Mombo, but Hobby- Lobby ran a sale on Micro Telemasters for $19.00 so I got two of them, one for diesel one for electric.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:07 AM
soarrich

ORIGINAL: soarrich

ORIGINAL: rrragmanliam

Magnets work great ................with this set up and have never lost the wing. Additionaly you need no tools to remove the wing, it's very convienent.

Darren

That's a relief to know, I like the just snap together aspect also.

Thanks about the plane. I was looking at the Minnie Mombo, but Hobby- Lobby ran a sale on Micro Telemasters for $19.00 so I got two of them, one for diesel one for electric.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:39 PM
soarrich

I finally got to paint some today so it has some color now. Tomorrow I'll try to get some clear gloss and details put on it. I had added a rudder rather than cutting the rudder off the fin.

Name:	Tr50127.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	1334749   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55947.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	1334750   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23739.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	1334751   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au55882.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	1334752  
Old 12-14-2009, 11:59 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Rich,

What a great looking little plane! Great job on the finish. I have seen most of Bob's planes fly in person..the ones that he used for the pictures on the kit boxes. He did such a great job on the design work. And you backed it up with an awsome build. I know you are going to have a blast flying your regardless of what it's powered with!

Again well done!!

Later,
Tim
Old 12-17-2009, 12:58 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nicely done Rich. The paint job really sets it off.

I used the same motor in my Cricket, which is about the same size and similar style model, so I think the Pageboy will fly well with that power system. Don't worry about the magnets, I used them in the Cricket too and they hold fine. The centre of pressure is well ahead of the magnets requiring much more force to pull the wing off than it does to just pull the magnets apart.
There's a discussion about the magnets in my Cricket thread. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_57...tm.htm#5700037
Old 12-17-2009, 01:31 AM
fritzke

Plans
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ro41666.pdf (134.3 KB, 18 views)
Old 12-17-2009, 08:33 AM
flyinrog

Nice job Rich,,it reminded me of another one but I couldnt put my finger on it...it looks like the postal plane project...go look on page 4 of the sticky,,its real close..except the lecky part...the roaring twenty I have, built by fireman is the one in the picture at select hobbies,,I've ordered a kit or 2 from Steve, he gets stuff out nice and quick and Bobs kits are top notch too....I had the baby stick too but I put a norvel .074 on it and it flew great,, but I dumb thumbed it in, still have the wing...but I'm not a fixer I just move on to the next box in the basement....Rog
Old 12-17-2009, 09:54 AM
soarrich

Thanks guys, it was a fun build.

I decided to put landing gear on it. I made a big staple looking thing and stuck it through the floor of the plane then used tri-stock to keep it against the bulkhead, then splayed them. I think they look a little leggy so I'm going to shorten them some. I added some "ailerons and flaps" with a marker.

I flew it last night......kind of. My first attempt at taking off the gym floor just got me left-hand turns, I didn't bring any tools to adjust the landing gear so I decided to just have it hand-launched. It flew with plenty of power, but I had way too much throw in the rudder. I was really rocking the wings so I quickly landed it. If I had been outside I would have just put it up high until I could settle it down, but the gym's wall was fast approaching and I didn't want to roll it over on it's back trying to make a turn. I took out 50% of the throw for the second attempt, but I didn't realize the guy hand-launching it was an ex-knuckle-ball pitcher..... he let it go in about a 90* bank, gees how hard is it to just give a straight shove? I can now say the landing gear mount will take anything you can give it, when it hit the gym floor it bent back about 60*, but nothing broke but the prop. I didn't have a spare prop so that was it for the night, now I'll just wait for a clam day for it's next test flight.

Name:	Vt56637.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	1336241   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64866.jpg
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	1336242   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20386.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	1336243   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yr48503.jpg
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	1336244  
Old 12-18-2009, 09:25 PM
Rubbernecker
My Feedback: (22)

Would a standard .020 be to large for this with a mattel single channel?

Thanks,

John
Old 12-18-2009, 09:54 PM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

John, It would be a pistol to fly but I've actually done it. A great little combo with the Mattel pulser is the School Boy. I have one with Pee Wee .020 and a Mattel pulser using the Adams mini actuator. The Mattel actuator make need the mounting ears clipped slight to fit in the fuselage.

Bob Harris
Old 12-18-2009, 10:12 PM
soarrich

ORIGINAL: Bipe Flyer

There's a discussion about the magnets in my Cricket thread. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_57...tm.htm#5700037
I wonder if that's where I got the "idea" for the magnets. I had forgotten about that thread, but I had seen it. Darn every plane after the Wright Flyer is just a copy of something.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:19 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Not copies - refinements.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.