Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Want to restore a Cox RR1? A new provder is making the scene.

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Want to restore a Cox RR1? A new provder is making the scene.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 12:00 AM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Want to restore a Cox RR1? A new provder is making the scene.

http://livingmasterpiece.com/stoneway/restore.asp

Nice for us consumers that we have another party ready to help provide custom services for the Cox genre!

The website , though rather incomplete as yet is petty snazzy and they also offer these type services.

We shall seewhat comes of this.

Robert
Old 12-23-2009, 05:45 AM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Want to restore a Cox RR1? A new provder is making the scene.

Robert,

That is my friend Leo's website. When it comes to RR1 restorations he is the man. I have only restored 3 RR1's myself(just to risky to me) but I believe Leo has done 20 or 30 of them now. I believe at one time he had almost a dozen RR1's in his shop for just one customer!!! I wish he had a better picture of it on his website but the coolest engine I have ever seen him make was one that was a reed valve engine that had a pressure tap on the side of it's crankcase. The amount of pressure was regulated via a second needle valve..it was so cool looking. When Leo first started offering custom engines for collectors he was painting them. His paint was not fuel proof so they could only be display pieces. I helped him get an anodizing system up and running. He doesn't do many engines anymore. He has moved onto really amazing 1/2a tether cars. His website has been up for a several years now but he has never really completed it since it was made. He truely is a master of what he does.

LAter,
Tim
Old 12-23-2009, 08:47 AM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"the coolest engine I have ever seen him make was one that was a reed valve engine that had a pressure tap on the side of it's crankcase. The amount of pressure was regulated via a second needle valve..it was so cool looking."

Tim, Larry Renger is working on such a project. I suggested to him the use of a needle to regulate the pressure as his early efforts had a hole too big and there was too much pressure. He felt that was too complicated and went with a smaller hole as he was not going for cool factor but simple performance.

The planes page is sadly barren but the cars are really cool. So are the custom engines. I wish I could check out the pressure tapped reedie. I didn't see a picture of it. I liked the Mouse racer.

The twin 049 hand crafted cart was really cool too.

Robert
Old 12-23-2009, 12:40 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Robert,

I used to have a couple of good pictures of that engine that Leo sent to me after he built it. But sadly they were on my old computer that died. But if you go to Leo's website and at the top of the page to the right of his logo notice the dark blue engine with the red TeeDee spinner and red GlowBee head. That is the engine I am talking about. I know it's not a good picture though. Leo makes the cool little beam mounts for some of his custom reed valve engines and this engine has them as well. Just hard to see in that picture. But notice the one needle valve sticking out towards the rear of the engine. That is the one for the pressure. He used the NVA out of a Sure Start backplate. Just a super cool engine.

LAter,
Tim