Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Which motor: Norvel Big Mig .074 or Cox .074 Queen Bee?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Which motor: Norvel Big Mig .074 or Cox .074 Queen Bee?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 05:44 PM
jtnktz
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which motor: Norvel Big Mig .074 or Cox .074 Queen Bee?

My dad is going to buy a motor for his Norvell 1/2A Tutor. It calls for a .074 motor.
Also what is a good price for these motors?

Cox Queen Bee .074
vs
Norvel Big Mig Sport .074

I need a reply as soon as possible. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-27-2009, 05:53 PM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Which motor: Norvel Big Mig .074 or Cox .074 Queen Bee?

I don't have that plane myself but I do have both of the engines and the power to weight ratio is very different. The QB is a bit like the TT07, they both have the power of a good .049 cox but at more than twice the weight.

The Norvel .074 on the other hand has the power of an .09 engine, but at half the weight.
A NIB Norvel .074 will probably go for about $100 on the fleabay...
Old 12-27-2009, 06:01 PM
ffkiwi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Queen Bees are reasonably plentiful on Ebay and you may be able to pick one up for about $40-50. Norvel 074s are sought after and can go for over $100 on the same site. If you're prepared to wait months you may get one for a lesser price. There is a 3rd option you seem unaware of-the Thunder tiger TT-07 engine-readuily available from various retail and mail order outlets for about $50. Advantages-cheap, uses a standard glowplug, nice throttling and a good silencer. Disadvantages-not particularly powerful, and reasonably heavy.

In contrast, Queen Bees are fairly gutless, heavy for the power they deliver-but nicely made. Throttling can only be described as average-but being a reed valve they will run in either direction.

Norvel-sets the performance level for the 074 class. Light, powerful, go like stink-but they're out of production, and use an insert type glowhead which is expensive and not normally stocked by local model shops [and is out of production!] However MECOA are producing aftermarket Norvel head inserts for 061 and 074 and I believe Merlin are as well-though I'm not 100% on that-Merlin ARE doing inserts for the 049/061 size, I'm not sure whether they have tooled up for the larger size.

recommendation: if you have the money, go with the Norvel, and learn to live with the head insert issues

if you're in a hurry-go with the Thunder Tiger

if you're curious-get a Queen Bee [my personal opinion is there is nothing to recommend them over a TT07.....and I own both]

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Old 12-27-2009, 07:28 PM
jtnktz
My Feedback: (4)

You guys answered all of my questions plus some. It is greatly appreciated.
I <3 RCU!
Old 12-27-2009, 07:50 PM
ffkiwi

No point in seeing someone waste money unnecessarily! Old story-you can do it cheap-or you can do it well-but you can rarely do it cheap and well.

ChrisM
'ffkiwi' [about to depart for NZ Nationals- to do-what else but FF of course?]
Old 12-27-2009, 09:03 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

The tutor is a 4 foot wingspan 3 channel /trainer/floater plane..an .049 will fly it,,but much like the current few cloud ranger builds going on, it could probably handle an OS.10..nice, more available,,runs like a timex.....I have an .061 sig rascal,,that I am changing to a float plane so I took out the .061 (boring) and put in the .10, havent had a chance/made the time to fly it just yet,once I test out the .10 then I will add floats, its for a friend with a good sized pond...Rog
Old 12-27-2009, 11:33 PM
jwitham

I would suggest an Enya 09 r/c or an OS 10 r/c. They both swing larger props than the norvel or queen bee. They are a little heavier but have much nicer idles and transitions to full power. At the speeds the Tutor flies at they would be a good choice.

I have an AP Wasp .061 in a half size Kadet and like it a lot although most people i've talked to have had bad luck with them. Mine is two years old and still running strong.

If you have time to look you might find an older 06 enya r/c on ebay or similar. They are equal in power to the QB and built like a swiss watch. I have one but it is a diesel and probably something you wouldn't want to fool with. I've seen new glow 06 enyas for sale as recently as last year at Richmondrc.com.

I've pasted a couple of ebay links to typical engines as well as a posting from this forum detailing enya prices.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ENYA-09-RC-ENGIN...item45f01b2337

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7085790/tm.htm

J
Old 12-28-2009, 12:12 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The QueenBee is the only engine I ever bought, [new or used] that I could never get to run. Sent it back to Cox twice fuming mad and they never "made it right", they didn't do anything more than return it back. At the time the price of this failure was a huge hit for me to take financially and I never bought another new engine from them again. I also passed the word on to everyone within spitting distance, but by this time Norvel had already taken over.
So, to put it nicely, the topic of this thread [AFAIC] is ....
FTQ!!!.... buy the Norvel!!
Old 12-28-2009, 12:30 AM
DeviousDave

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

The QueenBee is the only engine I ever bought, [new or used] that I could never get to run. Sent it back to Cox twice fuming mad and they never ''made it right'', they didn't do anything more than return it back. At the time the price of this failure was a huge hit for me to take financially and I never bought another new engine from them again. I also passed the word on to everyone within spitting distance, but by this time Norvel had already taken over.
So, to put it nicely, the topic of this thread [AFAIC] is ....
FTQ!!!.... buy the Norvel!!
No Idea why, but the QB is the most sensitive engine to prime I have ever used. Half a drop, that's it, period.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:10 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jtnktz

My dad is going to buy a motor for his Norvell 1/2A Tutor. It calls for a .074 motor.
Also what is a good price for these motors?

Cox Queen Bee .074
vs
Norvel Big Mig Sport .074

I need a reply as soon as possible. Thanks in advance!
Both are out of production. If you can find a Norvel they are a great motor. The Queen Bee is a dog in several ways but it runs.

As mentioned, the TT .07 is a well made motor and is in surrent production. Not a killer powerwise, but it does a lot of things well, and the pwoer comparison to other small motors is about all negative anyone has to say, other than that it behaves nicely and would power that airplane well. It would be a logical choice as far as 1/2A-ish size engines, or you could you up the motor choice to an OS .10 or equiv.

MJD