Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Fuel Mixing Guide

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 11:37 AM
matchlessaero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel Mixing Guide

I have seen a lot of mention of adding more oil or nitro content to fuel on the forum lately. In addition to that, I am planning to mix a high nitro fuel mix for my next speed runs with the Caliente, and, I have been playing with the oil content on running .010's.

With all of this fuel mixing, I wanted a quicker way to figure up the percentages I was achieving by adding whatever component to my existing fuel.

I came up with the following spreadsheets to help me do it. They are 'plug n chug' spreadsheets which allow you to enter your current volumes, and then your proposed amount of fuel component to add.

I figured others might have a use for this thing too.

Ya'll try it out (and if someone wants to check my math, please do so....)
Attached Files
File Type: zip
92823_1630.zip (4.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 07-10-2003, 01:00 PM
lwr_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Jeremy,

If you need nitro, let me know. I order it by the 5 gal drum. Mixing your own is very benificial and economical. Randy (Digger) and I were using some of my Lou's Brew at the Smalls. As you could see, his Panther ran pretty well on it. We were using a 25% nitro, 20% lube mixture. All castor.

Oh, by the way. If you want one of the Noblers I have order, let me know. They should be here early next week. Are you still coming to our C/L fun-fly?

Louis

"[email protected]"
Old 07-10-2003, 01:05 PM
lwr_

Hey Jeremy,

If you need nitro, let me know. I order it by the 5 gal drum. Mixing your own is very benificial and economical. Randy (Digger) and I were using some of my Lou's Brew at the Smalls. As you could see, his Panther ran pretty well on it. We were using a 25% nitro, 20% lube mixture. All castor.

Oh, by the way. If you want one of the Noblers I have order, let me know. They should be here early next week. Are you still coming to our C/L fun-fly?

Louis

"[email protected]"
Old 07-10-2003, 09:03 PM
prole
My Feedback: (3)

That is awesome Jeremy.

and the excel format brings me back to my Electrical Engineering days.

So where would someone like me obtain Castor and Nitro. I know that Sig sells castor but my LHS doesn't stock it. FOr some reason I thought that castor was a pretty common thing. I have looked in hardware stores, grocery stores, autoparts stores and can't find it anywhere.

Do you guys just use Sig Castor?

What about Nitro? That seems a little more dangerous and a little harder to find. Where do you get 5g drums of it?

What kind of prices would I expect to see on these?

Thanks!

timothy
Old 07-10-2003, 11:35 PM
lwr_

Nitro: VP Racing, check the internet for the nearest one to your geographic area. A 5 gal drum will cost $190.00 shipped to your door. For homeland security reasons you have to fax them your picture ID.

Methanol: Check with your local speed shop. Will cost anywhere from 2.00 - 4.00 a gallon.

Lube: Yes, Sig castor is probably the best. Most use a combo of Klotz and castor. Your local hobby shop should be able to order Castor and Klotz by the gallon from Sig. Castor will be 19.00 - 24.00 a gallon and the Klotz will be 24.00 - 28.00 a gallon.