Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cox .020 Question

Old 01-27-2010, 04:45 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Cox .020 Question

"As the propeller turns"
Or should that be cylinder?
In this "case", depends on where the "threads" start, and end...
Old 01-27-2010, 06:37 PM
Jaspur_x
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually , I saw the oportunity to lighten up things a little bit around here and took it , I was certain Skaliwag would take the hint and help bring that laugh home ( thanks partner)

Does anybody else have the mid-winter " is this -( fill in the blank as you see fit ) weather ready to leave yet" ?

This all is related to 020 Q , tinkering around with making a throttle sleeve for my teedee has my fingers bloody , nerves frazzled , and mood ready to take a break and throw some humor around!

p.s,
Mom is not Irish.......... blonde , but not Irish............................. personally , I`d rather be Irish lol
Old 01-27-2010, 07:06 PM
build light

St. Paddy's day is not so far off and by then the weather should be some better and besides, everyone is Irish on St. Paddy's Day!!!

Robert
Old 01-27-2010, 08:34 PM
Jaspur_x

I maybe should have picked up a throttle sleeve for my teedee a long time ago , then I wouldn`t be in this pinch. I finally got my throttle ring done.
After I got donesplitting firewood for the night , I was walking to my desk where I had my littlest stick sitting to final prep it.
Low and behold , the dog chased the cat , the cat jumped on thedesk toelude the dog....... you see where thisis headed , like in the cartoons I tell ya!
Well , my plane got a flight in tonight, and I can now fix the hatch and elevator instead of tackling another project on my list!

Huess whose cat is getting chased by a micro-heli later tonight during his catnap....................cold vengance will be mine!
Old 01-31-2010, 10:28 AM
Jaspur_x

Next on the item list.,

Does anybody else have the original cox throttle sleeve for 020`s?

I just got mine , and the ports are so much smaller than the cylinder ports on the engine , like half the size.

I went ahead and widened them to match the cylinder ports , why would cox of all companies make one that was restricting wide open throttle I wonder?
Old 01-31-2010, 11:50 AM
build light

ORIGINAL: Jaspur_x

Next on the item list.,

Does anybody else have the original cox throttle sleeve for 020`s?

I just got mine , and the ports are so much smaller than the cylinder ports on the engine , like half the size.

I went ahead and widened them to match the cylinder ports , why would cox of all companies make one that was restricting wide open throttle I wonder?
Jared, When I was young I thought the same thing but you would be surprised at how little the exhaust slits need to be and still perform well.
You may have made the overall throttle window much smaller and more sensitive by doing this. In other words you may have turned this sleeve into a sort of "on / off" switch between the idle and wide open speeds.

Robert

The sensitivity between wide open
Old 01-31-2010, 02:16 PM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jaspur, Roberts right, by the time you get a throttle ring 1/8"open its pretty much full bore and from my experience, they basically are on/off switchs oh,,Jaspur generally you want to buy a ring and sleeve together, they can be big variances between engine batches..I have a peewee .020 with sleeve on it,,I know some people go all out and make these little planes 4 and even 5 channel,,generally I keep mine to 2 or 3...Rog
It might be Xenalook, but somebody on the bay takes product engines and makes sleeves for them, for not too much $
Old 02-01-2010, 09:46 AM
Jaspur_x

Great , so I more than likely messed up something that I just bought , not the first time. I guess it`s time to order another just in case.   the one I bought was original cox equipment , complete with new piston/cylinder as the cylinder was shaved to fit the sleeve , so it is not a  total waste , and not a bad purchase to get another before they are all gone , limited qty. remaining or so the site says.

Jared
Old 02-01-2010, 03:20 PM
Silvaire
My Feedback: (50)

You know what they say - make sure its broken before you try to fix it!
Old 02-01-2010, 03:36 PM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cox-049-Surestar...3D10%26ps%3D63

here's the guy in SC
Old 02-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Jaspur_x

ok point taken , tomorrowI will give a test run to see how it runs withmy ummm cough cough throttle ring on it.

On another note , that item reminded me I got a cnc carb body for my teedee020 ,no more cracked plastic for me , but if you are absolutely careful , JBweld will seal upthose cracks for years reliably , I have 1 as proof.