Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Is this a stock Cox part?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Is this a stock Cox part?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 01:15 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a stock Cox part?

I bought this on ebay, is it really a Cox part. I has a hole across from the stem that looks like a set screw would go there, but it's not taped, should it be?

I'm thinking of using this as the basis for an exhaust throttle, anyone done that?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97331.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	253.1 KB
ID:	1373780  
Old 02-07-2010, 01:54 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Is this a stock Cox part?

Yeah its stock ,you dont see them very often its not a throttle ring, its an exhaust collector, hopefully to aim the goo away from the plane,,I dont think I ever flew a plane with one on it....but yours is only like the 4th one I've seen...Rog
Old 02-07-2010, 01:58 PM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

the small hole is a primer port FWIW
Old 02-07-2010, 02:03 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: flyinrog

Yeah its stock ,you dont see them very often its not a throttle ring, its an exhaust collector, hopefully to aim the goo away from the plane,,I dont think I ever flew a plane with one on it....but yours is only like the 4th one I've seen...Rog
You can see some more if yiu want. Item number 380118874203 with 104 sold to date according to the data from the page.

Robert
Old 02-07-2010, 02:32 PM
Mr Cox

ORIGINAL: soarrich

I'm thinking of using this as the basis for an exhaust throttle, anyone done that?
I've made something similar on a PeeWee .020, you can simply put a rotating barrel on the end that is sticking out, similar to what is used on carburators.
I does give you a variable speed, but it will not be the same as a carb on a regular intake engine. It is quite amazing though how the engine just keeps running although it seems like the exhaust is completely blocked.

Keep the primer hole for easy starting (unless your putting it on a sure-start with the choke backplate).
Old 02-09-2010, 02:06 PM
GrahamC

This was most often seen on the Cox cars.

AndyW posted something some time ago on one of his experiments on throttling.

They are not that effective a muffler but they will take a bit of the bite out of the exhaust note of your Cox engine without reducing the RPM too much and they do help in keeping some of the goop off your plane.

I have about 4 of them myself that I got from Dan Sitter on eBay (Coxmania).

cheers, Graham in Ottawa Canada
Old 02-09-2010, 04:46 PM
MJD

And I just ordered three. Goop directors, and fun to have in the 1/2A tidbits drawer.

Hmm, could you get a little tank pressure from these I wonder.. [sm=confused.gif]

MJD
Old 02-09-2010, 05:35 PM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: MJD

And I just ordered three. Goop directors, and fun to have in the 1/2A tidbits drawer.

Hmm, could you get a little tank pressure from these I wonder.. [sm=confused.gif]

MJD
I dont know how you would go about separating the goo from the "pressure" on a tanked or product engine tank, the trumphet method works pretty well...I have one on an engine Tim Wiltse made for me, that was the first one I'd ever seen, only a very few since then...Rog
Old 02-10-2010, 08:01 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

My yellow van's ( I think it was called "Action Van" or something hokey like that? ) engine had one of these collectors on it...and IIRC my Adam-12 police car did too. I got rid of 'em because they cut down on the power. Never thought of using one on an airplane's engine?
Old 02-10-2010, 08:52 AM
controlliner

The little hole is for priming.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:04 AM
MJD

ORIGINAL: flyinrog
I dont know how you would go about separating the goo from the ''pressure'' on a tanked or product engine tank, the trumphet method works pretty well...I have one on an engine Tim Wiltse made for me, that was the first one I'd ever seen, only a very few since then...Rog
By using one of my Fuji bladder tanks. But in any case, I don't see the difference between one tank and another, we all use muffler pressure. Well, maybe I do see your point, with an expansion can you do get some separation of vapor from sludge don't you? Anyhow, I'll mess with it and see what happens.

MJD