Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cox .09 Glow Plug

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Honker1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cox .09 Glow Plug

Hello all,

Having a 3 Cox .09 Medallion engines laying why not put them on some .049 planes and see how they work. I put one on a Honker that had a Norvel Big Mig .061. The plane flew pretty good with the Norvel, can't wait to see how the .09 works. Kinda like adding 60% more power for very little weight gain.

Anyways I torched a glow plug by turning the adjustable glow plug power on the battery panel up to high. 2 good plugs left, 3 engines. I have a Meccoa adapter ( I think). It takes a regular RC plug but I tried it and it doesn't work. It wont even work on a .074. The engines pops over slowly for a few seconds and dies.

I ordered a Valentines adapter for 11 bucks of the bay. Has anyone used these and do they work on Cox .09's? What is a good adapter to use. I think I like the .09 for use on certain .049 planes. Wont know for sure until it warms up around here.

Thanks,

Honker1
Old 02-07-2010, 03:20 PM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Cox .09 Glow Plug

I have both the turbo plug adapter and standard plug adapter heads that I bought off the bay. The standard plug head actually runs my Medallion .09 very well. It may not quite hit peak rpms but sometimes that's not important, depending on the application. The engine has been very reliable, easy to start, and the same plug has been in it for over 2 years. I love the loud, raspy sound of the .09s. Like you, I've got several lying around(TDs and Medallions). I plan to build more .09 planes one of these days. One of the TDs will probably go on a Sure Shark .15. The .049s don't run very well with standard plug heads but I guess the larger displacement of the .09 isn't as sensitive to the loss of compression with that style plug.

Here's a vid taken in '07 of my Pong Two with a standard plug head on a Medallion .09. Please forgive the use of the big starter motor. It's all I had handy that day. I haven't used it since. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHj_3...eature=related
Old 02-07-2010, 05:24 PM
Honker1

TeeBee,

Thanks, that is an awesome vid. I saw that vid some time ago, it is next on my list of builds. I currently have a Jodel, low wing from Model airplane news. The plans were in the magazine and I enlarged them. I traveled around the country with the plans, carbon paper. balsa, x-acto knife. While I sat in my hotel at night I cut out parts. I now have a Jodel kit and I will use the .09 on it.

By the way, who made the head that you are using? Does it have a combustion chamber? The one I have if flat with a tapped hole for a glow plug. It will not run the engine. I have tried and tried, been doing this a long time. Don't know it all so if I am missing something someone jump in.

If you put a TD .09 crank in a Medallion will it jump the performance or will it not work. Just curious.

Thanks,

Pat
Old 02-07-2010, 05:33 PM
Honker1

TB,

One more thing, what prop and fuel are you using?

Honker1
Old 02-07-2010, 11:23 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you inspect enough Medallions, I'll bet you find some with a TD crank installed at the factory.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:43 AM
Tee Bee

I think the standard plug head is from Valentine. I know the turbo unit is. Haven't done a comparison run yet but I'm sure the turbo unit is worth a few more rpms with it's added compression. The turbo head is still in it's little bag. Saving it for use on another .09. I use Sig 25% fuel with a little added castor in all my Cox engines. I've experimented with different props but the elusive black Cox 7x3.5 seems to work the best for me, at least on that plane.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:18 PM
colingw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a Valentine turbo head for my TD .09, as insurance although I still have a viable glow head in it at present, and one spare new head.

Can anyone suggest a good starting point for plug selection with the Valentine head? Medium turbo plug like the OS RP6?

cheers,
Colin
Old 02-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Tee Bee

Hotter plugs would probably be best such as the OS P4 and P5. I have run mediums in turbo plugged .049s with success, though.