Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Any comments on a House of Balsa P-51?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Any comments on a House of Balsa P-51?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 10:27 PM
Bijan999
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any comments on a House of Balsa P-51?

The one I'd like info on takes a .10 I believe, 36" wingspan. How fast is it, etc. Thanks for the info.

Bijan
Old 07-11-2003, 10:39 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it might hold a .10 but its for a .051,I have one that I have never finished,, it is blocks of balsa that you sand to shape, Ive started it twice, but I dont have the skills to fly it anyway (yet). Not a beginner kit, as nice as I can be, I dont have anything nice to say about it......Rog
Old 07-11-2003, 11:10 PM
jugger18
My Feedback: (1)

I built one...has a .10 in it...a tight fit....have not flown it yet...i amde it 3 channel and dropped the rudder
Old 07-13-2003, 02:48 AM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

I have one too. It's not a hard kit to build but a little time consuming as 1/2a's go. It is designed to hold up to a .10 but I can imagine that is quite a tight fit. Mine is 4 channel with a Norvel big mig .061. It is a great flying little plane. Just build it light and you can fly it with whatever you want. If you build completely by the book, on the other hand, it is nearly indestructible! Ask me how I know.
Old 07-13-2003, 02:59 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have buried several of these little planes. I would say if you do get one and fly it you will be hooked for good.

I have built them with 2 channel all the way to 5 channel. The best one I did was 4 channel, no rudder but had scale out line flaps. The flaps helped it come in nice and slow.

When I do a new one I will cut out a lot of balsa from the ribs, formaers and fuse sides.

You can stuff a .10 size engine in it, but it is tight. I had one with a Hornet 0.09 and it flew great. I had to move the fire wall back to make room for the rear mounted muffler. The exhaust was easy because of where the muffler was.

I used HS-55 servos and did not have a problem. You could use HS-81 too. As siad above keep it light and have a good time.

Dru.
Old 07-13-2003, 05:24 AM
goldguy

One great model, but don't put a 10 in it. Way to heavy and you will up the wing loading. I have a Norvel .061 in mine and it's fast, but I can slow it way down for touch and go's. With a 10 you will have to keep the speed up when landing. My next one will have a Norvel .074.
Old 07-13-2003, 08:57 PM
E-Challenged

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Do You Have the Flying Skill

If you have considerable hot low wing aileron plane experience, you should have no real problem flying the HOB P51. I built one many years ago 5 channel with TD.051. An expert flew it , I with little aileron experience, stalled and destroyed it first time I tried.
You need a good .074 with 5 channels. Bigger flies easier especially especially low wing fighter models.
Old 07-13-2003, 09:51 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Bijan999:

I've done the ME-109 and the FW 190. Except for fuselage width they are all pretty much the same.

Both built as four channel, very tight to get everything in.

With the Cox TeeDee 05 RC I wasn't as pleased as I could have been.

Replaced the FW 190 engine with the AME 0.061 and was happy. Later sold it, the new owner liked it too.

The ME 109 is no longer with us, sad to say.

Still have both the TeeDee RC 05s though, they are doing great in air boats.

Bill.
Old 07-14-2003, 01:09 AM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default House of Balsa - P51 - 1/2 A

I've built and flown all the House of Balsa 1/2 fighters and was part of a group of men that did combat with them in the early 80's (Supulvida Basin). I built my P-51 with large fuel drop tanks and put thin landing gear wheels into the fuel drop tanks with just a little of the wheel sticking out. Flew wonderful and ended up with sticking Cox T.D. .09's into my fighters. The Cox .09 is a light engine and does crank out the RPM's. I ran my engine with fuel pressure and 30 % nitro......All's fair in love and war...

Yes, you need to be quick with the thumbs, for they fly fast and have a good fast glide. All fly well and the P-39 and P-47 were my favorite fighters. But the P-51 flys well too. You have a few balsa blocks to carve, but all are easy to build and I never had a bad one ever. I flew two, three, four and five channels. If you want to do the work, Robart have small little retractable gear that will fit into the model, and they work. I ended up preferring to hand launch, two channel - keeping it light - and a Cox T.D. .09.

If you don't have the experience, let a club pro do the honors and set it up for you. They are not tricky to fly, just go exactly where you point them and though all have decent stall characteristics, do not get to slow dead stick. They can be fast and are small, so you can fly them closer to yourself then a normal .40's size model. They are an absolute blast to fly. Have a ball...I did.

Soft landings always,

Bobby of Maui