Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Norvel plugs and rubber fuelers or bladders???

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Norvel plugs and rubber fuelers or bladders???

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 12:25 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Norvel plugs and rubber fuelers or bladders???

On Norvels tech-notes site:

http://www.norvel.com/til/TechNote.T002.html

they have the following paragraphs:
One additional tip regarding fuel contamination. Dissolved rubber will build-up on a glow plug in a NORVEL engine, causing premature burn-out or erratic engine performance. Do not use a rubber fuel bulb or a syringe with rubber stopper for fueling and defueling your airplane. Use a hand pump, electric pump, all-plastic bottle, or all-plastic syringe such as the NORVEL NO-RUB fuel filler, available on our website.

Once a glow plug has been contaminated, it cannot be cleaned or repaired. If you have defueled into a bottle of fuel with a rubber syringe or rubber fuel bulb, it is likely that the remaining fuel in the bottle is already heavily contaminated with dissolved rubber. As the fuel level in the bottle gets lower and lower, the concentration of dissolved rubber will get higher and higher.

1. Is this just hype to get us to buy their all-plastic syringe?

2. I want to use a bladder tank, not like the C/L combat tank, but a soft bladder inside a Sullivan, or similar, plastic tank and use muffler pressure between the bladder and the hard tank -- like the even-flo baby bottle liner or the Tetra Tank the pylon boys use. The even-flo liners are almost too large for a 2 oz. tank.

I was considering using a large balloon or even a condom, but have some concerns about the rubber. Since clunks don't move to the front in small tanks, I'm trying to avoid sucking air when the fuel is low and the plane is nose down or jinking around. Other than Norvel, I have never heard of the dissolved rubber pronbem.

Your comments and experience please.

Regards,

Andrew

BTW: Had a chance to spend a week at the NATs -- saw a lot of Quickie and Q-40, R/C Combat, C/L combat, some C/L Speed and Pattern
Old 07-13-2003, 01:44 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Norvel plugs and rubber fuelers or bladders???

Andrew:

I was using "Douche" bulbs for fueling glow engines more than 40 years ago, and until this bit with Norvel I had never heard of any problem with their use. But they were not natural rubber.

Alcohol fuels will attack natural rubber, and cause its failure.

Several years ago, when "Gasohol" was being pushed, many automobiles had fuel system problems due to natural rubber components, and these problems were quite expensive to repair.

I had to replace about 2/3 of the injection system on my German car, and the tree huggers said it was my fault for buying the car. Archer Daniels Midland, the main corporate pusher of gasohol, also refused any liability. And the left wing politicians just laughed.

So long as your bulb fueler is synthetic rubber you should have no problem using it.

Bill.