Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

3 Cyl 049 radial

Old 02-26-2010, 06:34 PM
jbirnsch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 3 Cyl 049 radial

BMatthews,

The supercharger has sealed bearings and also has a tap to pressurise the fuel system. I am going to use a carb off of a OS 12CZR that I have for this engine. It should be large enough to supply this engine and has 2 needle valves.

I want to turn a new front and back to eliminate the chance for leakage with the 2 piece front end. There is no need to have that much material there for support. I haveot figure out a way t mount this engine. I may use standoffs that screw into the back plate to a test stand.

For the vane pump I believe you could not get by with a hack saw to cut the slits. You would need a slitting saw on a mill and a rotary table. Also what to use for the vane material? Graphite? Teflon? Sintered brass? Plus the extra weight of the pump. The supercharger looks to be built pretty light. The only weak spot I see is the belt breaking.

Jason
Old 02-26-2010, 07:32 PM
controlliner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That carb would be perfect.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:33 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Belt driven eh? That produces options for over or under speeding the supercharger so that you get the best value of boost in the crankcase. Far more flexible during the testing phase than a direct drive.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:51 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

United States Patent US6062176
http://www.rcmplans.com/issues/reque...121997-1-1.pdf
The pump in this design keeps the crankcase pressure up, so the crank pressure is not created by the pistons.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:00 PM
flyinjrc74
My Feedback: (157)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: jbirnsch

I bought this on feebay last week. It doesn't run for long and I knew that when I bought it. It is just cool. I know that is lost it's pumping action due to the multi cylinders in the same crank case at different timings. If I add a supercharger to the input do you think it would keep running? RB Innovations makes them for small glow engines. Basically forcing air/fuel mix into the CC should keep it running right?

Jason
Very awesome Jason! I have never seen a cox .049 like that before. I hope the supercharger you got from me works on it! So does that make it a 1.47 engine??? Very neatto and if it does not work it will look nice in a display...