Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

don't make this mistake!

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

don't make this mistake!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 09:48 PM
kingcobraRCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default don't make this mistake!

when breaking in an engine ( sometimes the idle has to be a bit higher than normal) make sure when its at idle that the plane will sit on the ground without moving...I sat it on the ground and it started moving on along...I didn't think about it and just took off. well come time to land it wouldn't slow down enough TO land! I had to fly around til it ran out of gas so I could land...lol
Old 07-13-2003, 09:51 PM
kingcobraRCU

Default good idea!

post your funny mistake stories here, we all need a laugh now and then!
Old 07-13-2003, 10:35 PM
putt_13
My Feedback: (3)

This is an electric funny story, but it will work....

I was flying my GWS Slow Stick with my Aiptek 1.3mb camera on-board. I was taking some great pictures(i assumed) and then it was time to come in for a landing. I always fly above my neighborhood, and it had never been a problem. Well, I was bringing it around, deadstick, and misjudged the distance of a tree...SMACK ..I landed right in the tree. I had to climb about 25 feet up to get it out. -Patrick
Old 07-13-2003, 11:47 PM
Lynn S

I've gotten used to landing dead stick with my cox powered planes. Most landings have been pretty good. Now I will have to think about breaking the prop on this norvel when in comes in running.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:32 AM
OMPEdgeFlyer

I built a littlest stick bipe with 020 powered and my longtime flyin buddy just could not give me a good toss, so after 4 times throwing it almost straight down I figured, HEY, i have a steerable tail wheel I will take it off the ground!!!!! so he sits it down, lets go, and it takes a hard HARD right as the tail wheel lifts off and the prop is skipping across the ground. Ground loop after ground loop so fast all we can do is watch this little plane flop all over the ground and laugh uncontrolablely all over the parking lot. after about a minute the engine runs out of gas and the little plane stops. needless to say, we both had to go pee before we changed the much needed chewed up prop....
Old 07-19-2003, 07:43 AM
country_3030

I was breaking in my AP .09 hornet on my school boy. I had it steadly running at half throttle i turned around to go get me something to drink out of my house and was nearly at the door when i heard this pop. I turned and looked as my plane raced across the street and hit the curb on the opposite side instantly shatering the wooden propeler. I went and retrived it no damade done. Next time i will not use a close hanger and rubber bands to hold the plane in place.
Old 08-09-2003, 07:09 PM
zoomzoooie

During my childhood scratch building days, I built this beautiful little Fokker DVII for control line. It had a Cox .020 on it. I don't remember the wing span but it was probably about 8"-10". I started the engine and let it go. Well I don't think I even got a quarter turn when it started to do looping somersaults! First one way as I pulled on the control line, then the other. It just continued to loop one way and then the other for what seemed and eternity until it finally lost altitude and smacked the ground. I guess maybe the .020 was to much power and maybe I had to much elevator throw. I don't know but that's my story...

ZZ
Old 08-10-2003, 03:41 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

When I was 7~8 I had a CL with a Fuji .09, I seem to remember the spinner and the fuel tank where one, after about 30 minutes, (that's about 3 days to a kid), it started. Cool, but no ones holding the plane, you should see how fast three kids can run with an airplane chasing them down the driveway!
Old 08-10-2003, 04:18 AM
William Robison

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, I've posted it before but I'll tell you again anyway.

My best was a twin with counter rotating engines. Have you guessed? Right. Put the props on the wrong sides.

Couldn't get the plane off the ground, but boy was it ever fast in reverse!

Bill.
Old 08-10-2003, 04:22 AM
notAclue

Saw a guy handlaunch his transmitter, then just look at the plane in his other hand.
Old 08-10-2003, 04:22 AM
Cessna26

I just got a new electric plane and forgot to swich the ailron reverse switch form the other plane and i tried correcting off take off and it flipped over and i cracked a wing.
Old 08-10-2003, 04:27 AM
Cessna26

Hey notaclue that would be the funniest thing to see.
Old 08-10-2003, 08:23 AM
goldguy

We were flying at a school yard many years ago on a Sunday and there was one other car in the parking lot, it was the principal, catching up on his paperwork I guess.

I flying buddy was getting all his modeling gear out of his vehicle and put the fuse of his brand new Falcon 56 down on the pavement while he carried his flight box out to the field.

Oh, did I mention it was windy. His fuse travelled across the parking lot and wedged itself under the tire of the principal's car. As, he walked back to the parking lot to fetch it, he heard the engine start up and saw the back-up lights come on..............

Well, the car backed over the fuse at the wing saddle and flattened everything including the reciever and servo. Just consider that back then a basic Kraft radio was worth a month's wages!!!!
Old 08-10-2003, 11:19 AM
wild fred

well, back in my hornet days, we hand flipped our t.d.'s on those 2-channel birds. sometimes for an hour before they started. So... once when it finally caught I threw it... and watched it free flight in a big circle (fortunately) into the ground. Did it again about 15 years later on a ferroplane! Or there was the time my hat blew off when I launched my bonanza; picked up the hat, and the plane was diving vertical! and I was on low rates.... ouch!
Old 08-10-2003, 02:34 PM
Digger-RCU

I fail to attach the aileron servo in my p-47.

I took off with the rudder cross wind. when the plane was about 25 feet in the air, I let go of the left stick, and she spun in! Felt crappy for a year over that one!

Randy (Digger) Birt
Old 08-11-2003, 02:33 PM
DICKEYBIRD

I hate to post this one since the perpetrator passed away some years back and he'll probably come back & haunt me now. Back in the 80's, about 5 or 6 of us local guys formed a Quickee 500 racing team and we covered all our planes exactly alike in white MonoKote with red stripes on the left wing panel with the only difference being a big red number 1, 2, 3, etc. on the right wing.

You guessed it....above mentioned buddy and 2 or 3 of us were up practicing one day. He looked away for a moment and when he looked back, he started flying the wrong airplane. He started yelling "My radio's dead....I ain't got it....uhhh yes I do....oops no I don't," etc, etc. He followed this one plane all the way in to land, sorta hoping it was his but he had that sick look on his face as the realization hit him that his was number 2 and number 4 had just landed.

We all tried to sympathize with him and not give him the ol' razz job but eventually couldn't pass up the on opportunity since he was an excellent razzer himself. You know, walk up behind him and yell "Look out! Here comes your plane; DUCK!"

Finally, about 2 hrs. later this guy drives up and says "One of you fellers missing one of them toy airplanes?" It turns out he was bank fishing at a nearby lake and the lost plane had come screaming down and exploded onto the ripp-rapp about 50 ft. from him.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:51 PM
OMPEdgeFlyer

Default RE: don't make this mistake!

Ok, time for thread resurrection.....

My father wanted to learn to fly, but had bad eyes. His best friend broke out the 12 foot span Telemaster, dug out the buddy box cord and out they went.

A few hours later and nearly a half gallon through the os 90, my father's friend tells my dad he is going to take the plane, bring it in and refuel. He told my dad to line it up, and when my dad was ready, tell him to take over. So dad lines up, it is at the end of the runway about 75 feet up, and he tells his firend to take it. His firend says, Ok, I got it and dad lets go of the sticks. The plane starts slowly nosing over and thuds into the groud breaking the wing in half and knocking the motor loose. The whole time my dad's friend is yelling for everyone to watch out that the button most be stuck or some other radio error.

not 2 seconds after the crash, my dad's friends busts out laughing and literally falls on the ground. We all look at him and he stops smiling and looks at us and said, "I forgot to let go of the trainer button".

WOW, that was smart. lol
Old 05-18-2008, 10:02 PM
DeviousDave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've landed flat on my back a few times when hand launching in the winter or on wet grass... You'd be amazed at how well you can fly a 2ch. plane with the wind knocked out of you!
Old 05-18-2008, 10:21 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A buddy and I each had Black Widow powered Upstart knock-offs that we scratch built...
We were in a hurry to get airborne, and I didn't notice that he had started my engine backwards...
He gives my plane a toss...and [X(]

I also saw the same friend do the Tx. "launch" and then stand there staring at the plane screaming away in his hand.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:30 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyCPhIjmk-s

you boys been drinkin??...Rog
Old 05-18-2008, 11:29 PM
digital_trucker

Don't substitute panelling for a plywood firewall (they don't hold wood screws very well). I lost the Black Widow off the nose of Piece-O-Cake that way....came off a good 200 yards out from the flight line in an alfalfa field. Luckily my Dad was with me and he watched the engine come down rather than my loopty fun with a suddenly tremendously tail heavy plane.

I was astounded when he walked right out to it and picked it up off the ground without searching.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:08 AM
tipstall 131

A mate of mine built a brand new trainer to start his flying career on. We took it out to a giant park for the test flight. He started it and taxied of for the take off. He did the take off run and the plane jumped into the air. He was so astounded that the plane got into the air and was climbing that he over corrected and crashed the thing right into(inside) a dustbin that was located in the park. We just took out the engine and radio gear as the rest was already deposited for the trash guys to collect...
Old 05-19-2008, 10:34 AM
lildiesel

I flew a 2 channel Ace Wizard with an unthrottled PAW .09 through some electric lines on maiden. I had no clue that the plane would be that fast with an 8x4 prop. I gave it a good toss and it was across the soccer fields behind campus and into the wires in a blink of an eye! Didn't even get to trim it out.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:49 AM
WEDJ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Back in the mid-70's I had a Midwest Lil' T glider w/ an 049 power pod.

Launched it w/out putting the Rx on.

It flew for 1 1/2 hours, ending up about 20 miles away. Some fo the guys from the field were able to track it. Said it climber thermals real good.

I won the spot landing award at the annual banquet.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:02 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A few weeks ago I was racing T-6. Won the first heat, bad launch second heat...DNF, repairs and won the third heat, enough to make the main. Excited that I won the heat I did an awsome victory roll into the ground.
BOFFF noise. No plane to race in the main with.[X(][sm=bananahead.gif]

Incredibly another racer came up and demanded that I fly his plane in the main!

What a great day, friend, and hobby! Yeah I won the main with his plane too.[8D]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.