Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

1st post! twin .49s?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

1st post! twin .49s?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 08:37 PM
Wayne C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1st post! twin .49s?

I haven't posted on here in a long time. I'm a CL guy who flies 1/2a planes. I'll try to attach a picture of a Cox cylinder that came from the factory with a throttle ring. You'll notice that the throttle ring isn't on the engine. I haven't used it for years. I generally run 1/2a engines wide open till flame out. I've been using 15% nitro with 18% oil castor synthetic blend. No fuel or lube problems, but I do use an after run oil. (air tool oil)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94263.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	1404301  
Old 03-24-2010, 09:09 PM
H5606

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Perhaps you want to do a conventional twin as you mentioned but if you go to a push-pull configuration, one engine out is a non-issue and no throttle or shutoff is necessary. A single tank isn't necessary either. Even though the engines themselves turn the same direction, they are naturally torque cancelling when mounted back to back. Finding a pusher prop might be the biggest hurdle...

See Cessna 336/337 and Dornier Do 335 for the basic layout.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:56 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: fireman7875

ORIGINAL: Bipe Flyer

Set up your thrust so that you can fly on a single engine if need be. A low with with little dihedral is less affected by thrust differential than a plane with a high wing or a lot of dihedral. I have an electric that threw a prop and all I could tell was that it was flying with less power. I didn't realize that it was flying on one motor until I landed.

Hate to tell ya, Bipe, but you lost the top wing too!

Brian
LOL, I knew there was something wrong with that plane. I thought it might be the electric motors, but it was the missing wing.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:18 PM
av8rsodt
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a neat setup for an .049 Sure Start engine. Came across this from a friend who works at Estes and came across various engines over the years. The throttle ring has flats on it for various throttle settings - works very smooth. Could easily be setup with with a servo on a simple 3-channel model.

Brian

Name:	Ay73980.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	1408792   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91281.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	1408793  
Old 03-31-2010, 10:25 PM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The other way to get a reverse running engine is to get a reverse crank for the TD .049 or the RC .05. I found that the TD series was inconsistent in getting good throttling so I stuffed a standard and a reverse crank into a pair of VA MK1s. They run well but the standard rotation gives me some 1K RPM more than the reverse engine. Not good in a twin.

But there's hope for another try at this. Notably, upgrading the Brodak/CS .049 with Norvel piston and liner and a Cox crank. That can be seen here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykRzLyzvaM4 Good power with good throttling. So stuffing in a reverse crank is next up when the next batch of roundtoits come in. Back-ordered AGAIN.

Name:	Db83668.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	1408953