Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Fly today guys?

Old 03-21-2010, 08:14 PM
Jaspur_x
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fly today guys?

So I got out the littlest stick this afternoon.

I had a few good minutes of flight tgoday , of course that was out of 4 flight attempts.

So my back yard is a little too small for this plane , and I need to increase control throws a bit.

Score is: apple tree 1 , rose bushes , 1 , butternut tree 1 , terrafirma 1

Monokote 1 1" tear...............thats all the damage.............. I need a helmet cam because you guys woulda found this hilarious.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:57 PM
ProBroJoe

Default RE: Fly today guys?

Great day for flying, wasn't it?

A buddy and I went to the club field early and burned a bunch of nitro - he flew his DNU and I flew my Kombat Kid. We spent a bunch of flights chasing each other around the sky, all in all having a blast.

Ya know, it's kinda funny when the 35% guys come over to see what you're flying and oooh and awe all over it!

Old 03-21-2010, 09:08 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I got a few flights in before some slip-shod work got in the way of more fun. Even though it was breezy, it was a warm breeze. Time to get some plants in the ground, instead of just planting planes.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:54 PM
mtntopgeo
My Feedback: (12)

Spent almost every day at the field last week. Flying some of the more sedate stuff, in an attempt to get the winter's rust outta the thumbs. Today, took out the XLS powered Lil' Extra, & the Conquest powered Mini Ultra Sport. The Lil' Extra was to be the first in the air. Fired up the XLS, made no attempt to check the needle, & the engine went lean & died just at lift off. 2nd attempt, set the needle this time & had to richen up a bunch. (That's strange, I thought) First half of the flight was spent trying to trim, & just to hang on to this thing. The xls was running at full HOWL !!! Uneventful landing, & on to the 2nd flight.
Engine is still spinning the 7x5 at some hysterical RPM, & I'm having a ball. Oldsters with bad eyes & "long gone" reflexes shouldn't be allowed to have this much fun. (might give them a hear attack.) Pulling hard outa a bank the engine went to the lean side for a couple of seconds, I thought we were running outta fuel. Panic, head for the runway, bad approach, too fast, too low. Caught some stubble 'bout 15 ft from the runway. One landing gear gone, one aileron servo gone, & one of my precious MAS, no-longer-produced, pre GF3 7x5 props gone. Not much damage, but this is the first ding I've put on this particular Lil' Extra. Felt like a real dummy. Was un hinged enough that I didn't try the MUS.......... Oh, later, at home, noticed that the bottle of fuel I used wasn't labeled. Too many fuel mixes for too many engines! Considering how much I had to richen the engine from it's normal needle setting, I probably got something brewed for one of the little Norvels, with a tad more nitro than the usual 15%. Whatever it is, the XLS loved it. Glad I got two more of them at the sale, last month. ................. George K.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21063.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	1402557  
Old 03-23-2010, 05:18 PM
Jaspur_x
My Feedback: (1)

It`s good to hear I was`nt the only one flying , or trying to fly anyway.

I figure part of the problem was small control surfaces , short throws at the servos , and using the 29"wing instead of a shorter wingspan. I wanted her to be a little bit slow flying so I used the longer span , but it did not help with steering.

Time to switch out the servo arms and maybe go with the 9 " wide chord, 20" span , 1 3/4 dihedralwing on the next attempt , or the stock chord 20"span with poly wingtips.

And of course , finally put the radio in the farcebug so it is ready for me to put my 03 on it..

Maybe one of these days I will get out "the little plane that could" ( clancy aviation`s 010 model) and see how that flies , allegedly it is a quick little bugger.