Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Home made Cox Texaco

I am building a not for competition Texaco .049 engine from spare parts. I have everything need except a piston/cylinder. I don't want to buy a new one and I was wondering if I could substitute a #4 piston/cylinder from a Tee Dee .049? I'm guessing it would work and have a little more power. Any pros and cons anyone can think of?
    Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Home made Cox Texaco

To duplicate the Texaco .049, I believe you need a #0 cylinder with no SPI. It will also help if you use a tank with a Golden Bee intake. The smaller intake tube is required. A BW sized intake will not give the required results.
    \"Keep it clean and not too lean\" Duke Fox

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a Texaco tank, glow head and will be using a Widow or Bee body/crank. This is going on a Cox Thermal Hawk just for fun. I just need the engine to get the plane to altitude.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You can find a No 0 piston/cylinder set here :- &bay No 150385083763
    Stewart

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

jsesere,
    To get reliable runs on the larger props the texaco had a small dia intake venturie, if you have some older cast tank backplates from baby bees or golden bees , check the intake sizes and use the smallest.
    Stewart

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a Texaco back plate.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jsesere

I am building a not for competition Texaco .049 engine from spare parts. I have everything need except a piston/cylinder. I don't want to buy a new one and I was wondering if I could substitute a #4 piston/cylinder from a Tee Dee .049? I'm guessing it would work and have a little more power. Any pros and cons anyone can think of?
    Thanks
    What jsesere is trying to do is simply take a complete Texaco engine that needs a cylinder and pistyon and without trying to duplicate the qualities of the Texaco engine, to simply put together an engine that will haul his Cox Thermal Hawk into the sky to have fun flying.

My answer is to save the Tee Dee assembly for a Tee Dee and just use a common Sure Start assembly.

Robert
    Roll Tide! FINAL:
    Alabama beats Texas 37-21 for 2010 BCS national championship! Go Bama!
    Alabama number one!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok group check out Cox international in Canada 1 877 769 1779, they have a web site too, just about everythig you can think of for cox I just bought a new sure start 049 for $14.85
    spare head gaskets and some spinners a new baby bee 39.95 to 49.95 a new cylinder piston and rod assembly 049 $4.95, they have crankcases, shafts think $4.95 also
    plus about every part out there for a rebuild martin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: AMB

Ok group check out Cox international in Canada 1 877 769 1779, they have a web site too, just about everythig you can think of for cox I just bought a new sure start 049 for $14.85
    spare head gaskets and some spinners a new baby bee 39.95 to 49.95 a new cylinder piston and rod assembly 049 $4.95, they have crankcases, shafts think $4.95 also
    plus about every part out there for a rebuild martin
    I peruse their site occasionally just to see what's new. A few months ago I noticed they have prop nuts for the Space Bug, SB Jr, and Thermal Hopper...so I ordered some. Of course you can't get off that site without a few "extras".

http://coxengines.ca/

George

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ditto on the suggestion to use a Sure Start cylinder and piston. You can also use a regular glow head instead of the Texaco head if you shim it to a lower compression ratio by using 3 or 4 head gaskets stacked up. You'll also find that it runs better when used with a big prop on no more than 10% nitro fuel. And 5% is even better. The big prop lugs it down so much that it'll run far too hot with the higher nitro. For a prop go with an 8x4. Expect the engine run to last a good 3.5 to 4 minutes with this setup. If that is too much then substitute the bigger tank bell for a Baby Bee tank bell to cut the run to 2.5 to 3 minutes. You'll find that the needle valve is slow to respond so make small adjustments and wait a few seconds to see the effect. And finally at these revs you MUST seal the needle valve against air coming in along the threads of the needle valve. I did this by replacing the tension spring with a thin filed out washer over the needle theads and a carefully cut length of silicone fuel tubing to replace the spring. The washer keeps the tubing from climbing over the top ridge. Cut it to length and with accurately square ends so that the tubing provides good friction over the range from closed to about 6 turns out.

With fine tuning and prop selection the "pros" are still getting close to 4 minutes for Texaco competitions. But for just sport flying you can easily reduce the power to produce a gentle climb and get the times I've posted without any significant complexity.
    Witty saying to be plagarized shortly.....