Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Bladder VS Uniflow VS Conventional Tank?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Bladder VS Uniflow VS Conventional Tank?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 02:35 PM
R/C Phile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bladder VS Uniflow VS Conventional Tank?

I am now running my .049 TeeDallion (Medallion with an SPI dual boost cylinder / shortened-lightened piston / Galbreath head setup) on our Combat wing and I need to upgrade the fuel system.

I currently run the nice looking Cox integrated Mount / Fuel tank setup. The problem is that although this tank/mount looked like it would work inverted (It has the twin opposed vents tubes) it does not since the fuel pick-up is on the bottom and I'm getting bored with it's limited capabilities for inverted flight.

Currently, the engine is smooth and consistent no matter how I twist the plane around (Of course the inverted flight time is pretty limited) .

I was about ready to custom make a uniflow tank but now I'm having second thoughts on a bladder or even a regular "stunt" tank.

The plane will is built just for fun in the backyard and will most likely never see a "real' competitive event.

Would a bladder tank make enough difference to justify the extra effort given the non-competitive nature of the beast?

One step down, is it worth fooling with creating a uniflow setup or should I just slap a regular "Perfect" or Brodak tank and be done with it?

Again, I have no issues whatsoever with how it runs or start. It's so consistent I hardly ever touch the needle anymore.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:41 PM
icerinkdad

Default RE: Bladder VS Uniflow VS Conventional Tank?

Interestingly with the small tank size used for 1/2A a uniflo tank just doesnt show much improvement over a standard tank. The advantage to the bladder is that changing tank size is pretty easy as long as your bladder holder is large enough to accomodate a longer bladder. Are you looking at a balloon type non pressurized bladder or a pressurized surgical tubing setup? The pressurized doesnt give you much over the balloon if you are not running a bored out venturi.
Bob
Old 05-13-2010, 03:32 PM
R/C Phile

I was not sure on what bladder type to go with.

I saw some nice setups TexasTimers.com that I was considering buying but I after reading about the pinching / starting procedure I am leaning towards the 'Too Much hassle" side of the equation.

Since there is probably nothing to gain from the pressure type do you still have to pinch the inlet tube with a baloon or can you just fill it like a ragular tank and start as normal?

I might experiment with a baloon type this evening, I was thinking about cutting the finger off a latex glove and try that..
Old 05-13-2010, 03:41 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I think you would be happy with a 2 oz Hayes tank. They take just a minute to set up and will give you a nice long flight. The high pressure bladder is mainly for big venturi / high rpm, or where you want to stick the tank in a unorthodox location.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:53 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with CP even the smaller 1 ounce tanks are good aswell. I used to use some small one way check valves running of the side vent that needs to be drilled on these td engines or a small 2-56 screw drilled to hook up a line to it in the back of the engine.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:22 PM
icerinkdad

Heck for simplicity sake I would just go with the standard metal tank. The two ounce tank would run for a very very very long time and have significant balance change issues in a typical CL model.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:09 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far back as I can remember I have only run pacifier tanks or uniflowed metal tanks with back-of-crankcase pressure on TD's. I wonder if you could put another fuel pickup in your present tank.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:49 PM
icerinkdad

Its not a TD....