Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

GP Rifle

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 08:13 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default GP Rifle

Check this out. I saw one at the LHS today and it looked pretty good. Great little molded wing. Only $100 bucks. Definately worth it. Maybe strap a hot Cyclone on it!

http://www.electrifly.com/largeelectrics/gpma1805.html
Old 05-24-2010, 04:04 PM
DeviousDave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: GP Rifle

I saw it at the Toledo show, it's decent for the money but isn't in the league of the 400 electric moldies. It will be a revelation to guys who fly 1/2A though!
Old 05-25-2010, 01:25 PM
vertical grimmace

I instantly though tof 1/2 A when I saw it. Especially for the price. It is in no class with my old Sunracer. Which are around $265. It will still be very fast with the right motor/engine.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:48 PM
forsakenrider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder how much hacking it would take to throw a Norvel on the nose and get it to balance right? Who's gonna be the first to try?
Old 05-25-2010, 03:11 PM
mtntopgeo
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: forsakenrider

I wonder how much hacking it would take to throw a Norvel on the nose and get it to balance right? Who's gonna be the first to try?

Tried to order one today. TOWER says "available in late June". Means that it might be available this flying season.!!! ..... Been looking at Soaringusa for something to butcher, (er, I mean modify) for IC use. Lots & lots of toys, but all probably demand more flying talent than I hsve. Any of you go-fast guys ever try the Triffik.? Not lookong for all out FAST, just something a little quicker than a sheet wing mounted on a rough copy of a simple 400 fuselage. ......................... George K.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:52 PM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There sure are some nice looking models out there in about the right sizes. I've just obtained this little racer from topmodel, haven't quite desided on what to put in the front yet but a VA or MP Jet would do the trick I guess.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50926.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	1442348   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47674.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	1442349  
Old 05-25-2010, 04:19 PM
flyinrog

[quote]ORIGINAL: DeviousDave

I saw it at the Toledo show, it's decent for the money but isn't in the league of the 400 electric moldies. It will be a revelation to guys who fly 1/2A though!
[/quote

Not at over a pound it wont be!!...its neat, but thats heavy for 1/2a racing...Rog
Old 05-25-2010, 04:21 PM
DeviousDave

ORIGINAL: forsakenrider

Piece of cake. All Sp400 class airplanes have a 30mm spinner diameter. You can either radial mount it straight onto the nose or recess it and make a cowling.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:49 PM
vertical grimmace

My LHS has one in stock. Maybe I should just buy it? I would put a bladder tube in. I wish I had a Cyclone or Fora. I just have some hot AME combat engines.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:56 PM
DeviousDave

[quote]ORIGINAL: flyinrog

ORIGINAL: DeviousDave

[/quote

Not at over a pound it wont be!!...its neat, but thats heavy for 1/2a racing...Rog
It won't be over a pound with a 1/2A in it, should be wayyy lighter.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:57 PM
flyinrog

Dave I was reading that as weight, pre engine/motor/battery/esc/servos...I didnt really study up on it, my current 1/2a racer without battery (110mAh) is just under 9 oz with the tanked reedie....and my sheet wing is 11oz...so while admitedly a cool plane its not 1/2a racer material,,,but it really does zoom with the lecky stuff and I know thats the niche its made to fill, and looks to do that well...Rog
Old 05-26-2010, 08:36 PM
DeviousDave

Yeah, the Rifle seems like it's aimed at the lower end of the fast electric spectrum for guys who are not inclined to spend the money on a quality bird. For most people's purposes, the airplane will be fine-it's just not at the level of anything else on the market that it is intended to compete against. The showplane I saw at their booth was a little rough around the edges with fit and finish lacking. The fuse layup looked pretty wet from what I could see, and I am betting that the wing is 'heavy' as well. I'm willing to bet this airplane will dress out in the 12oz range as a 1/2A, which is plenty light. And it would be fast enough to race. If it seems like I am being overanalytical on the Rifle, it's because I used to kit and sell 400 racers and I faced the same stiff European and Russian competition it does.

Lotta people gonna be happy with this airplane.

ETA: I can do a bagged foam 165sq. in. wing at 1.7 oz without torque rods or covering-complete other than that with glass reinforcement for servo mounting (laydown in the center of the saddle), epoxy/microballoon wingbolt hardpoints and fiberglass hinges. Here's a copy of an article that I wrote back in the day and then used on my website (A friend in the UK keeps it going for me even though I don't make kits anymore) http://www.fastcomposites.com/vacuum-bagging.htm I think I could get the same plane down in the 9oz range with the equipment and batteries we have today if I could use LiPolys, a brushless motor and target the same performance we were getting at the time. The thing is, you see, that the best flying Sliver I ever had (It's still kicking around, I pull it out for special occasions) was the one I took to the NATS in 2001. It was a porker at 14.5-15oz, but was fast and still turned. Got 2nd that year. It might be possible to datalog something like that and see the difference between heavy and light airplanes around a course, but I can't tell a whole lot of difference when the airframe is properly designed and uses an airfoil appropriate for the job.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:29 PM
pdansalvish
My Feedback: (23)

There is a thread on RCGroups where the wing is folding on some people. Not sure if they are over power it though. It is in the High preformance section.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:57 PM
mtntopgeo
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: pdansalvish

There is a thread on RCGroups where the wing is folding on some people. Not sure if they are over power it though. It is in the High preformance section.

Just got through reading that thread (all 42 pages).!!! Glad that Tower didn't have any in stock when I tried to order. Have changed my mind.!!! These old eyes & slow relexes present more than enough of a challenge to getting a plane in the air & back down again, safely. Don't need any extra "help" from a flawed plane. ..... And I was thinking 'bout converting over to IC & installing my D.G. .061 MP-Jet. ARRRRRGH.!!! Yeah, not as bad as losing a Cyclon, or some super special lecky, but it's the best I have. ............... Dave, thanks for posting the link for the vac bag procedure. I learned a lot. Maybe some day I'll get brave & give it a try. Right now, a Sig airfoiled plank is about the limit of my comfort zone.................... George K.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:52 AM
vertical grimmace

I do not think the flight loads with a 1/2 A engine would be as extreme as an electric setup. Not only would a wet set up be lighter (lowering wing loads in turns) but also (and I hate to say it) The E-motors have way more power. I wonder if a hot AME would still have a wing folding issue?
Old 05-30-2010, 01:32 PM
DeviousDave

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

I do not think the flight loads with a 1/2 A engine would be as extreme as an electric setup. Not only would a wet set up be lighter (lowering wing loads in turns) but also (and I hate to say it) The E-motors have way more power. I wonder if a hot AME would still have a wing folding issue?

My guess is that an AME would be fine, even a Picco. Any of the F1J motors set up properly with the right prop would have you worried about the wing though.