Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Where can I actually buy one?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Where can I actually buy one?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 05:09 PM
Max_Power

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where can I actually buy one?

Okay, I've been kicking myself for not going in on CP's CYCLON group buy for like two years now....I was just too worried about the $ when it was going down. But I've been messing with bladders, small dia props and reviewing appropriate "Trainer" speed airframe designs...And I'm TOTALLY prepared to pull the trigger now and have saved the pennies. I'm wanting to buy a 1cc (or .8)speed engine...doesnt need muffler or throttle,etc necessarily...But I do want a NEW engine unless it were a real good deal(I dont want to buy a used one for 80% of a new engine price...only exception would be if it were from a trusted poster here or I was offered a "inspect and reject" clause. I'm really not wanting to spend more than about $175 so that prolly puts a Cyclon out of the race... I've tried looking throgh the control line forums/classifieds referred to here previously..but I just don't want to pay $135 for a used $150 engine...But the real problem is after over a year of emails, phone messages,etc I cant seem to find anyone who actually has them in stock(or I just get no return calls or emails from supposed distributors)...So I guess I'm wanting opinions on which "Cheaper" speed engine is the best bet just for RC fooling around at high speeds...And where I can currently actually purchase one or perhaps if anyone might have a new one they want to part with. man if I cant find one soon I might have to settle for my other highly desired engine... a small PAW Thanks in advance....Todd
Old 05-27-2010, 07:21 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Where can I actually buy one?

Todd, the Fora is a very fine engine and costs much less than a Cyclon last time I checked.
Look up George Cleveland at GRS Models. Give him a call and I'll bet he can fix you up.

Buying used engines in this performance bracket is a crap shoot.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:51 PM
ffkiwi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Profi's are also available in 049 and 061 sizes for about $150-do a google search on 'Profi'-possibly a little harder to mount than a Fora. Cyclon and (current) Fora are below-the Schlosser also shown was only produced in very limited numbers-10 in all, so not realistically an option-as well as being outside your price bracket

'ffkiwi'

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39290.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	1443539  
Old 05-27-2010, 08:37 PM
Max_Power

Thanks guys...I've tried to call GRS.. although I havent actually left a message in 6 mos or so...I guess I assumed he wasnt returning calls....so if I've got no rules restrictions should I go fot the .050? or the .061?? I think I'll be wanting to swing a 5 inch prop on semi-sleek airframes then transplant to the "Greased-Pigg" later....whats the best compromise between "Smokin hot" and "Insane RPM"?
Old 05-27-2010, 08:41 PM
SGC

You might try these online shops
http://technohobby.com.ua/online-shop/en

http://shop.viko-shop.com/product_in...a5b87b0972f8db

These links were posted in the diesel forum
Stewart
Old 05-27-2010, 08:48 PM
combatpigg

I'd go for the .061....but I had the .049 and it was fantastic. Check with George if he has a range of prop suggestions. If you want to limit the airspeed, I'd use those combat props he sells.
Otherwise, the 4.2x4 APC is proven to be what this engine likes for the long term.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:30 PM
Max_Power

Stewart? Have you ordered from these guys before? Are they reputable? I havent gone through the checkout...But the price looks nice.....Todd
Old 05-27-2010, 10:25 PM
DeviousDave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I's look into the Profi .06 as long as you are shopping around. Haven't run mine, but they are alleged to be a bit better than a cyclon, smaller and lighter too.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:53 PM
SGC

Todd,
No I havent , the links were posted here :- http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_97...page_2/tm.htm#
Maybe ask locktite as he posted the links, looks to be a genuine shop as names and Phone No's are given.
Stewart
Old 05-29-2010, 06:10 PM
Max_Power

Well, I got in touch with George and have a FORA .061 on the way. I'm SO excited!!! Thanks for the leads guys. This will be a good reason for me to go build a new test stand over the holiday weekend. I bet the sound of that thing at 30k+ is amazing!...Wonder how cool my neighbors are? LOL Maybe I'll just wait till the wife leaves and do it in the basement so I can enjoy the scent of the moment for a while(KIDDING- Don't worry guys I am PROBABLY smart enough not to try this) Todd
Old 05-29-2010, 07:06 PM
combatpigg

Very good!

George must be getting close to 70 now and he is still very hard to beat flying combat. Also the best pit man I've ever seen..........

About 7 years ago I had Mike Wilcox beat late in the final rounds of a contest with about 1:30 left in this match, plus Wilcox had a blown engine.... I'm already celebrating...[8D]

George swapped engines and Micheal killed me with just a few seconds left in the match.
Totally unbelievable.......[&o]

George put on such a great demo with the Foras that I bought one on the spot.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:07 PM
Max_Power

WOO HOO!!! It took a while longer than I'd wished..But I got it!!! I may try to get in a few run in blasts this weekend. Really nice compression seal. Actually timed minutes till it would hold at TDC. And before someone points it out... What kind of carpet do YOU have on the walls of YOUR basement??? Todd[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37389.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	1458359  
Old 06-25-2010, 08:28 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i know its not a 1/2A but there is a profi .40 in the for sale ads on here.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:23 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You do realize that 30K requires hearing protection.
Dennis
Old 06-26-2010, 05:46 PM
mikegordon10

Huh, what's that you say. I can't hear you!
Old 06-27-2010, 06:53 PM
Toad

I didnt realize there is a hearing problem hearing 30k rpm, seems I can hear it from blocks away.
I have an electric motor that turns way over that, unloaded, in my hand, I can barely hear that one...maybe you may be onto something about rpm's being hard to hear. LOL