Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

that famous auction site re-registration

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

that famous auction site re-registration

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 03:00 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default that famous auction site re-registration

I just went to log onto that famous auction site just to browse and their site took me straight to a registration page that wanted my full name, address, phone#, SSN and credit card info. Has anybody run into this?

What do they want my credit card and SSN for, are they offering me a job?

Hogflyer
Old 06-13-2010, 03:04 PM
icerinkdad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: that famous auction site re-registration

If you didnt get there by typing in their web address I would be very worried that you were just phished for your credit card number....
Bob
Old 06-13-2010, 03:27 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HF

I agree with IRD - you may have a re-director on your browser. We battle this all the time at work - the re-directors send you to sites asking for information that the legitimate sites would never request. If this is the case, they can be difficult to get off your browser.

Don't send them any information. When you mouse over the link, the full URL should be displayed on the taskbar - many times it will differ from the text on the webpage. Copy it down and send it to the security section at the auction site.

andrew
Old 06-13-2010, 03:51 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I just went there and did not get the information request you got. In fact since I must have been there recently, I was automatically signed in with my user name.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:15 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Yep, I strongly suspect that you've been hacked. Run your virus checker and also download and run a good anti SPAM and anti Trojan package such as Spyware Search and Destroy and Adaware. In fact download and run both as sometimes one will catch things that the other misses.

That auction site has always maintained that they would never ask for SIN, SSN, banking info or anything else that personal.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:00 AM
crossman

Here is another good program to clear that stuff up.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

I have used it on a number of computers.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:52 AM
Andrew

ORIGINAL: crossman

Here is another good program to clear that stuff up.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
In many cases, Malwarebytes is the only software that can even touch some of these boogers. However, with several machines, we have had to reimage the box, even after Malwarebytes was run a couple of times. Some of the scareware trojans are real killers.

andrew
Old 06-14-2010, 12:14 PM
hogflyer

Thanks for the replies! I thought something was up when I went to open a picture that was, if I remember, the scale forum of either RCU or the other big forum, and my computer crashed. After that the computer started to act a bit weird, so I’ve kept away from going onto anything like my bank, or that would have any CC info. I did check with my iPhone and found I was able to go right into the auction site without that info request popping up.

I have run a full scan with McAfee and it comes up clean, but I also noticed it's not montioring websites like it's supposed to, and my AdBlock in Firefox is not working (when I try to makes changes to it, it just closes).

I think the easiest solution will be for me to reload my computer since I want to remove a couple of programs and install a few new ones. That way I know nothing will be left on the hard drive after I run WipeDrive a few times.

Hogflyer
Old 06-14-2010, 12:26 PM
SGC

" That way I know nothing will be left on the hard drive after I run WipeDrive a few times. "

This is not allways true, some malaware/trogans etc write a copy into the boot sector of the drive , which is allmost imposiable to remove, most PC shops simply replace the drive in these cases, as removal of the virus is difficult.
BUT!!!! there are programs that can wipe/clean the boot sector, these are disc editors, and each bit can be individually reset to 0 makeing like the drive is factory fresh. Of course this then requires a full format and software reload after.
Stewart
Old 06-14-2010, 02:11 PM
hogflyer

ORIGINAL: SGC

'' That way I know nothing will be left on the hard drive after I run WipeDrive a few times. ''

This is not allways true, some malaware/trogans etc write a copy into the boot sector of the drive , which is allmost imposiable to remove, most PC shops simply replace the drive in these cases, as removal of the virus is difficult.
BUT!!!! there are programs that can wipe/clean the boot sector, these are disc editors, and each bit can be individually reset to 0 makeing like the drive is factory fresh. Of course this then requires a full format and software reload after.
Stewart
You just described what WipeDrive does. It's DOD certified to completely wipe the hard drive clean. That is the only true way I know of to make sure everything is off the hard drive. But I am considering replacing the hard drive with a faster and larger one for better performance.

WipeDrive has also cleared up issues I've had with bad sectors on a hard drive even after reloading. Those sectors where restored and the computer is still running 11 years later with no issues.

Hogflyer
Old 06-14-2010, 03:24 PM
BMatthews

Your computer is 11 years old ? ! ? ! ? !

I think I'd be pondering killing the trojan or virus with a new computer instead of bringing the ol' girl back for another resurrection....
Old 06-14-2010, 03:32 PM
Andrew

ORIGINAL: hogflyer

Those sectors where restored and the computer is still running 11 years later with no issues.

Hogflyer
HF

You didn't tell us it was an abacus - probably just a couple of sticky beads. A little WD40 should fix you right up!!!
Old 06-14-2010, 03:56 PM
hogflyer

ORIGINAL: Andrew

ORIGINAL: hogflyer

Those sectors where restored and the computer is still running 11 years later with no issues.

Hogflyer
HF

You didn't tell us it was an abacus - probably just a couple of sticky beads. A little WD40 should fix you right up!!!
I'd like to hook the old monster up to the net - it's a Micron with a Pentium PIII-450. Unfortunately it doesn't have a network card or modem (but it does have a 5-1/4" floppy drive and runs on Win 98SE ) and I really don't want to put any more money into it. It's like the old IBM PC-XT's - almost bullet proof and will most likely outlive the energizer bunny!

My laptop is the problem child, and even though it's 6-1/2 yrs old, laptops today aren't going to get me much more in performance than I already have, so it's worth upgrading.

Hogflyer
Old 06-14-2010, 09:05 PM
BMatthews

If I didn't already know that it's an ISA buss in all likelyhood I'd offer you a network card and modem that I've go sitting here doing diddly all.