Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Cox Aluminum Needle

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cox Aluminum Needle

Old 06-15-2010, 03:16 PM
EX Model Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cox Aluminum Needle

Attached is a picture of a Cox aluminum needle. I am trying to find out what engines/planes/cars it was used on. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Overall length is 1.212"

Thread is 2-80

Thanks, Matt.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97341.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	1453545  
Old 06-16-2010, 12:44 PM
John Cole
My Feedback: (4)

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Cox Aluminum Needle

Hi Matt,

That particular needle would have been used on the .020 powered free flight Sky Copter, 1974 or so. It would have also had a black plastic knob on it as well.

Hope this helps!

John
Old 06-16-2010, 01:02 PM
EX Model Engines

John,

Thanks for the help! I kind of forgot about the 020 powered crafts since the Skycopter had the external needle control.

Matt.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:41 AM
wjstek

Hello Matt, I have researched the L&M Cox Company for many years now and have also spoke to many collectors across the Country. Within My research I have learned thatCox had made changes to reduce Production costsincluding Changing the fine thread brass needle valves to a Coarse thread Aluminum needle valve. Its hard to tell from the photo if this wasused on the 020 SkycopterBut I am sure it Is possible. Any of the Cox carsI have in My collection that came with the Aluminum needle valves are Immediately changed to a Brass valve except for the onesI do not run. I feel that it was a bad Idea for coxas I have tested the 049 Car engines with Standard Cox fuel and may get 10 or 20 runs out of the engine before the Aluminum needle valve fails or physically breaks in half.I think the airplane engines run Considerably Cooler than the Car Engines which would probably prolong the life of a soft aluminum needle valve. Bill
Old 08-07-2010, 10:57 AM
wjstek

I have seen the Aluminum needle valves on the Stinger Funny car, Matador Stocker, and the Magblaster, Duneblaster,Vanblaster, and Sandblaster. After Cox was confronted with a Possible lawsuit from wen-mac for the pull start on the 049 engines, Glen Bolton designed the "Snap Start" as found on theAction Van, Adam 012,and Sandblaster.Then came along the "SpinStart" engines. I have seen the aluminum needle valves come along in that Transition time, Maybe beginingin 1975 or 1976?? Bill
Old 08-07-2010, 02:59 PM
EX Model Engines

Bill,

That is a wonderful bit of information, and it is highly appreciated.

I would be willing to send you a needle to see if you can match up the exact origin. PM me if interested.

Regards, Matt.