Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

small servos for a honker?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

small servos for a honker?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 09:10 PM
hudmun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default small servos for a honker?

Hey guys i m pretty sure im in the right place.

My friend is building a honker and we are going to put a gp 10 in it. we have a small throttle servo we can use but we are looking for 3 more small servos for the rudder ele. and we are going to put ailerons on it. can someone recommend a good small servo to use . we dont need the best or most exspensive. and we dont want the cheepest , i guess middle of the road . we are using a old fm hi-tech radio . i'll post some piks for you guys when its done.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:24 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: small servos for a honker?

A GP10 is a lot of motor for a Honker. If you intend to add ailerons, I would suggest you drop the rudder and reduce the dihedral a bit. Want to give us a $$$ amount that you would consider for a "middle of the road" servo.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:25 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My current 1/2A-or-a-bit-bigger servo of choice is the Hitec HS65HB, which I tried out on recommendation from, as I recall, CombatPigg. A tad bigger than HS-55's, but a much stronger and more durable servo. For .15 size craft the HS85 is a strong little fellow.

http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/ser...i/hs-65hb.html

http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/ser...i/hs-85bb.html

The latest 85's I bought came with side mount brackets which I thought was pretty slick. I mounted two as elevon servos in a .15 delta, using the brackets and screwing them to a 1/16" ply floor plate. Nice low profile mount. Not that this has anything to do with Honker mounting needs, just pointing out what I like about them.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:23 AM
Mr Cox

I like the HS65HB too, for something a little larger there is also the HS81.
Another good one is the smaller HS45HB, but I have mainly used it for less critical applications like the throttle.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:46 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I concur on the HS-65. Here's a pic of a 20 year old Honker with the old Futaba S133's
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90290.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	1493360  
Old 08-31-2010, 06:03 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The HS-65HB are very good servos for that application. DO NOT BUY the HS81 or 82 servos unles they are metal geared ones even the HS-85 need to be metal geared. the nylon geared ones will strip on you with 6 volts i took a brand new HS-85 put the servo horn on it and plugged into reciever and ran servo to center it before control surface hook up and it stripped on its own.

Now a story on how strong the HS65HB servos are. i had one mounted on my GP revolver. it was mounted on the engine box with a 3" long 2-56 rod. the engine mount tore from the plan and the only thing holding the engine on while it was running between full and half throttle was that little 65 servo. when I landed the plane once it ran out of fuel some 18 mins latter the prop hit the dirt and tore the plastic clevis from the 2-56 rod end. the servo was fine and is still in use today.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:46 AM
hudmun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the help guys. there are so many choices out there. sounds like you get what you pay for when it comes to servos.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 09-05-2010, 05:13 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Next time I'm in the market for small servos I'm going to try Dymond: http://rc-dymond.com/

The D100 and D200BB look really attractive for applications like this. They seem to have a reputation for tougher gears than a lot of other micros, but I can't vouch for that personally.

Jim
Old 09-05-2010, 05:55 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

The D60 is a strong little beggar for its size, I have a couple. I haven't broken or truly abused one yet, so don't know what the gear train can ultimately take.