RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/)
-   -   Loose Norvel carb, solutions? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/10667569-loose-norvel-carb-solutions.html)

Mr Cox 08-12-2011 10:46 AM

Loose Norvel carb, solutions?

I have an old beat up Norvel which runs great as long as the carb stays in place. I have sealed it with silicone in the past but it doesn't last very long. I have also swapped the needle to a shorter one but it didn't seem to help much. Does anyone have any good solutions? Or should one just JB weld it in place like it was on the older ones?

nitroairplane 08-12-2011 11:57 AM

RE: Loose Norvel carb, solutions?

JB weld i would get mixing if i were you unless you want to change the carb in the future.

fit90 08-12-2011 01:14 PM

If it is the type that is held on with two screws I like to make a replacement for the O ring by slicing a small cross section of large silicon fuel line(the slices must be pretty close to 90 degrees to the tubing) and using this in place of the O ring.  It has been very effective for me with the added benefit of being easily removed/replaced/serviced if need be.

Good luck,

Bob

DeviousDave 08-12-2011 09:41 PM

The meanest glue I know of is called MT-13. They use it to glue engine blocks back together at Ford when doing dyno destruction testing....

A friend had problems with the mini-pipe inside his Q500 Nelson mufflers coming off, MT13 was the only thing that worked....

Mr Cox 08-12-2011 10:27 PM

ORIGINAL: fit90
If it is the type that is held on with two screws I like to make a replacement for the O ring by slicing a small cross section of large silicon fuel line(the slices must be pretty close to 90 degrees to the tubing) and using this in place of the O ring.
The problem is that the Norvel carb is "attached" with a single bolt that goes through the crank case and carb. This merely keeps the carb from falling out and doesn't hold the carb rigidgly. After years of use it has now worked its way on the case so that the whole carb vibrates visibly during running. Guess I will have to glue it in then, it is just that I like to swap the direction of the throttle-linkage depending on the plane but I guess I'll have to decide on a permanent orientation for this one.

DeviousDave 08-13-2011 07:09 AM

Alternately, a new crank case is like.....$15 on Feebay.

Mr Cox 08-13-2011 07:19 AM

I think it is a combination of worn case and carb as they grind on each other (both are aluminium). I have just used some JB weld now, and will see how that works out. I didn't clean the case so hopefully it might not stick too hard to that, in case I want to rotate the carb back to the stock orientation. It is a rather poor design though, with that screw that doesn't really hold anything and just sits right in the airflow...

hllywdb 08-15-2011 11:27 AM

Mr Cox,
If the JB doesn't work, you could tap the carb, drill the case holes just slightly big enough for the screws, and bolt it in. This should solve the oblong issue, give you a rigid mount, as well as removing the restriction. The trick with the silicone tube works too.

Mr Cox 09-09-2011 12:09 PM

Well the JB worked, I've now had 4-5 flights on it and the needle is in by about a 1/4 of a turn. I don't think it has ever been that far in before so the problem has been there for quite some time...