RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/)
-   -   Looking for Control line RTF (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/11299663-looking-control-line-rtf.html)

Chikokishi 11-16-2012 01:44 PM

Looking for Control line RTF

Hey everyone. When i was younger i actually owned the cox pt-19 trainer that was made in the 60s. Had i known it was a vintage model i might have chosen to not learn to fly with it. But i was 15.. what did i know? Anyway, i recently got a little 4ch plane for myself and my gf wants to learn how to fly, but she is afraid to fly my plane so, remembering how easy it was to fly, i set out to find a little control line plane for her. I CANT FIND A RTF CONTROL LINE KIT. I would love to have one like the old COX plane, slower, and it wasnt super aerobatic so it wouldnt go crazy on her. All i can find at balsa kits.

Does anyone know where i can get just a crappy little plastic or foam electric or engine control line complete kit for 20-40$? I mean.. my 4ch airplane that i bought was rtf at 45$... i cant imagine that there is not some plane out there thats not meant for anything other than going in circles on string.

Thanks for the help!

Chiko

combatpigg 11-16-2012 01:48 PM

RE: Looking for Control line RTF

IIRC....there is a club called the Balsa Beavers that published a simple plan to make your own trainer out of coroplast. Coroplast is the stuff that all the campaign signs are made of.

vauxhall 11-16-2012 01:57 PM

Top Flite make a Nobler and a FliteStreak, both ARTF. Brodak also sell C/L ARTF models, check their websites out.

Chikokishi 11-16-2012 02:06 PM

I looked into those models, thanks for the suggestions. Still no one knows of a plastic held together by rubber band model? My gf cant fly a kite without destroying it, haha. Im a little worried about getting her a plane that is perma-breakable. Ill keep looking, thanks again for the help!

Chiko

Andrew 11-16-2012 02:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a JPG of the Manwin trainer that CombatPigg posted about. It's about as simple as it comes, dirt cheap and tough. You can build one (or two) almost as fast as you can drink a can of beer.

Chikokishi 11-16-2012 02:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Alright, I was looking through a box of random airplane stuff, and to my surprise i found a whole bunch of awesome stuff! This is crazy, because i have never bought anything for airplanes - iv simply bought a Slo-V and a RTF P-47 recently. All of these items were a donation to me about 4 years ago, and i just now looked through it.

I have 3 engines, the biggest one being the engine from the pt-19 trainer. i have two fuel tanks, control line and handle, glow starter, and what i think is a flexible fuel line. What else might i need? is this the right tanks? Im totally new to this idea of not rtf models haha. Where can i go for help/ explanation?

Chiko

DeviousDave 11-16-2012 08:29 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew

Here's a JPG of the Manwin trainer that CombatPigg posted about. It's about as simple as it comes, dirt cheap and tough. You can build one (or two) almost as fast as you can drink a can of beer.

..... you must not know CP.......

DeviousDave 11-16-2012 08:30 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Chikokishi

I looked into those models, thanks for the suggestions. Still no one knows of a plastic held together by rubber band model? My gf cant fly a kite without destroying it, haha. Im a little worried about getting her a plane that is perma-breakable. Ill keep looking, thanks again for the help!

Chiko

I'd look on FeEbay, there never seems to be a shortage of Cox's plastic CL planes there.

Andrew 11-16-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: DeviousDave

Quote:

I don't know - he builds pretty fast!!!:D

vicman 11-17-2012 05:06 AM

Quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: DeviousDave

quote:

I don't know - he builds pretty fast!!!
Yeah, but have you seen him DRINK!!:D

combatpigg 11-17-2012 10:51 AM

Anybody can become a world class beer hound if you train hard, keep a positive mental attitude and don't let little setbacks [like vomitting] get in the way of your objective......;)

Back around 1976 while stationed at ft. Carson we were having a "ETS" party for a real popular guy in our shop named Ochoa. Ochoa thought it would be fun to have a beer drinking contest so a few of us commenced to pound some Buds. One by one, guys dropped out until it was just me and Ochoa. At this point I must admit that it was becoming a chore to keep up with him. Finally, he started looking pretty trashed and he puked like the girl in the Exorcist. I congratulated myself, thinking that the contest was finally over...but a few minutes after puking Ohoa felt much better and he wanted to keep on going....[X(]

049flyer 11-17-2012 11:01 AM

Check out www.aeromaniacs.com. They have plans and other info for the 1/2a Osborn platter. Super easy to build for less than $10.00, very easy to fly and almost unbreakable. An excellent trainer and with slight modification a decent stunt trainer. Handles a surprising amount of wind for a small plane. I have introduced MANY kids to CL with this plane.

combatpigg 11-17-2012 04:57 PM

That plane looks pretty small, but if it is endorsed as a good trainer I can see how it would be hard to break. A 6x2 prop is practically a MUST for good thrust and low speed for any .049 trainer. You can also take a Cox rubber 6x3 prop and twist the blades to flatten out the pitch.
After messing with the RTF plastic trash...[I found that they fly more like a "rock on a string"], I asked the local hobby store owner for advice and he sold me a Goldberg Lil Wizard. What a difference that was..! Since it was so much lighter [being made out of balsa wood] it actually flew on the wing and was capable of flying on twice the length of string that the plastic RTF crud flew on. I really loved that plane.
These coroplast / foamboard trainers are a step above the Goldberg trainer in one critical category and that is toughness. If the person learning knows ahead of time that the plane doesn't represent any time or effort and if that plane has the built in ability to fly itself, then the student can relax both physically and mentally. believe me, a relaxed mind and body is way more receptive to learning compared to one that is tense, and nervous.

vicman 11-17-2012 05:13 PM

I traced out a wizzard and built on a while back. If you guys want the tracings let me know.
My kids like flying it a few times a year.