RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/)
-   -   COX MODEL HEAVEN (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/11334503-cox-model-heaven.html)

astronomer1 12-17-2012 07:15 AM

COX MODEL HEAVEN

Hello all! It has been an age since I have posted on this forum. The link below will get you to a unique photograph of an antique shop in Salt Lake City, Utah. There is no commercial content in the picture and it's companion, just a bunch of things to look at from the past through a camera that I think has 40 lenses that enable the viewer to scan around like Google Earth©.

Within the picture are probably numerous COX and other model airplanes and things that will, I'm sure, stir up some fond memories of Christmas' past.

http://www.utah3d.net/pages/gallery-05.html

Have fun, happy scanning and a Merry Christmas!

astronomer

MJD 12-17-2012 09:32 AM

RE: COX MODEL HEAVEN

I want it all! :)

hfenn 12-17-2012 10:25 AM

There is a Joe Wagner Dakota right above the Godzilla with his back to the camera!
And a Lazy Bee under the fish.
Cool link, thanks!

Raymond LeFlyr 12-17-2012 04:31 PM

Great whirling dervishes Batman, it took forever for my eyes to uncross. But it was worth the "trip". Thank you.

vicman 12-17-2012 06:11 PM

I don't know what is more impressive. Seeing all that or Hollis post!

I had one of those Fisher Price elevators...and played with it. The Hot Wheels tire case is also a fond memory.

combatpigg 12-18-2012 04:45 PM

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=18236

Some of us old timers will remember this..but probably very few who ever ordered one...:D
Take a minute to read the whole article..it's pretty funny.

buzzard bait 12-20-2012 06:11 PM

Oh my god that is hilarious, a squirrel monkey from the back of a comic book...for 20 dollars! Which was a LOT of money to a kid back then. You could get just about anything from comic book ads. But I didn't know you could get squirrel monkeys.

combatpigg 12-20-2012 06:30 PM

The author did a great job of describing that adventure..:D
Imagine how pissed and anxious those monkeys would get while in shipment, too!
There was once a baby crocodile fad ...I think slightly ahead of my time.
The story was they would get too big then get flushed down into the sewer system.
I've never followed that "legend" up to get any details...but I think there were a couple cases of crocs finding their way back into other people's toilets...?

vicman 12-21-2012 01:47 PM

buddy of mine had a baby gator...poor thing died of alcohol poisoning I'm sure.

combatpigg 12-21-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: vicman

buddy of mine had a baby gator...poor thing died of alcohol poisoning I'm sure.
Are baby gators used for "proofing"..?

Raymond LeFlyr 12-21-2012 06:08 PM

What I remember is the preacher who sold, "100 baby chicks" for some small number of dollars . . . I was never tempted to order. But I did order a Deezil engine for $3.95. I never did get it to run.

By the way, "Hi guys, Happy Holidays".

vicman 12-21-2012 06:23 PM

CP,
I used to run with a strange crowd.;)

combatpigg 12-21-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

CP,
I used to run with a strange crowd.;)
Vic..speaking of which....have you heard from Raymond lately...?

vicman 12-21-2012 08:28 PM

Yeah, we had lunch a few weeks ago.
He informed me he has left the league of shadows since the radioactive spider bite and is now working on his ship to get home in the north pole. Lois Lane is doing well and his secret life as a photographer for RC Report cover girls is on the skids.
The good news is the Balsa tree seeds he bought 30 years ago from a comic book have started to show promise after all these years. He's looking to enter PennyPlane for this year's indoor NATS from this fall's bountiful harvest.

combatpigg 12-21-2012 09:10 PM

That's not what I heard. Word is he just got out of prison and that's why we haven't heard from him the past coupla years.

vicman 12-22-2012 04:33 AM

Nah, the prison rumor was just a cover so he could finish filming on his autobiography.
The title sounds pretty good... Model Flyer Superstar.
All the flying scenes were done in the holy land, Muncie.

Raymond LeFlyr 12-22-2012 05:07 AM

Yes, of course I have better things to do - but never let it be said that, "a miss is as good as a mile" in reference to the less than accurate depiction of the places and things done by this servant of truth and wisdom (of which I humbly admit to having in abundance: the 'wisdom' part, not so much the other) which have been inaccurately reported herewith.

Having writ the above (which should be absolutely clear to anyone who was awake at least ten percent of the time in third grade, sorry Vic) this will serve as notification that all of the words written previously by certain perpetrators of misinformation will herewith be corrected for good and all. Said another way; "nyah, nyah".

Even though I am constrained by legal and moral obligations related to my role as senior adviser re: issues of supreme importance to National Defense and Overall General Smartness (to several agencies of the Federal Government which I cannot name) I must assure youse that I often play with toy airplanes and get along with, grownups - for the most part. And have been doing so for - well, a long time. So there!

And now back to the main topic of this thread . . .

vicman 12-22-2012 09:32 AM

The guy is a chameleon!
Just amazing!

combatpigg 12-22-2012 02:36 PM

Yeah, he's a real cameedlion alright. All I know is since his retirement he has spent ALL his free time maxxing out the storage capacity of all your local sperm banks while he could have been spending at least SOME quality time building balsa models that get pulled around by our beloved and most manly .049 engines......[>:]!!

flyinrog 12-22-2012 03:47 PM

well Hi kids!! that first link was too cool!..cp i was looking for the submarine or xray glasses from your link not a monkey..that must a been before my time!..Rog

combatpigg 12-22-2012 09:43 PM

Rog, one thing that struck me funny was how the monkey liked to ride the sheltie/collie like a horse.
Way before I read about this "monkey tale" I used to tell my wife that I wanted to build a dog racing track in our backyard, dress our collie up like a race horse and get a little monkey dressed up like a jockey to ride her. If that idea worked, then I'd put together a few dog / monkey teams, put some grandstands on the roof of our house and have weekly races with lots of money at stake, beer sales, popcorn, etc.
My wife thought I was just joking.....:eek:.

Andrew 12-23-2012 06:54 AM

I well remember the monkey ads - always wanted one, but any suggestions were nixed by my parents. There was a lady in town that had a monkey, but it was rumored to be mean and it would bite anyone it didn't know. I saw it a couple of times, but kept my distance.

Living close to the bottom lands of the Mississippi River, turtles were popular - low maintanence, but not very affectionate.

Nice to see that Raymond is still kicking and has most of his mental faculties. How old is he now? 105, 106, .....

combatpigg 12-23-2012 09:22 AM

My Aunt was a volunteer for the SF Zoo [Fleishacker Zoo?]. She once in awhile brought home a baby animal to take care of. She had a monkey for quite awhile..much larger than a squirrel monkey, I think it might have been a gibbon.
Anyway, it got to a pretty good size and broke out of it's cage and just trashed her furniture, drapes, ceiling light fixtures...it was just like a hurricane.:D
She was a great Aunt because she always got us kids gifts that were considered by my parents too advanced or dangerous for our age like chemistry sets, Cox engine powered stuff, a BB pistol, fireworks, etc.

vicman 12-23-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Nice to see that Raymond is still kicking and has most of his mental faculties. How old is he now? 105, 106, .....
Not even close! It just seems like it, based on all the things he has accomplished in his short life.

combatpigg 12-23-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Not even close! It just seems like it, based on all the things he has accomplished in his short life.
Raymond was the first guy to ever say, "I don't always drink beer but when I do I prefer Dos Equis"...and they pay him $100 every time that commercial gets aired....[or else you know what would happen if they didn't...[8D]]