RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/)
-   -   In 2013 I resolve to......... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/11343127-2013-i-resolve.html)

vicman 12-26-2012 06:56 PM

RE: In 2013 I resolve to.........

Do you think I'll live long with a shot a day;)

Tom Nied 12-26-2012 07:06 PM

I don't know what it is, but I find myself just sitting there and staring thinking what I need to do next. Too much thinking and not enough doing. That's what I need to correct.

exocet-RCU 12-26-2012 07:48 PM

Then, for those of us who are not retired, there is a job, a family, house repairs, payments - all the trappings of modern life as an adult. I don't know if it is just slowing down or just trying to perfect time management with dismal results. [&o]

Tim

Tom Nied 12-26-2012 08:01 PM

Well, yeah, that is really what I run into as well. Most important thing we could resolve for next year is plenty of flying time. That's whats important. And motorcycle riding.

straitnickel 12-26-2012 08:17 PM

I wonder, I've toyed with the idea of a still or taking up beer for a pass time, but never did. The road IS paved with good intentions.

straitnickel 12-26-2012 08:21 PM

Funds are my biggest hold back, I do have to much time to think, Just to move on a couple would help a lot.

vicman 12-27-2012 03:37 AM

plenty of flying time. That's whats important. And motorcycle riding.
I can really work with those two.

This is on my bucket list...

I've toyed with the idea of a still or taking up beer for a pass time,

Mr Cox 12-27-2012 03:46 AM

My resolution is almost done now, just needs a bit of decoration too;

http://www.svensktmodellflyg.se/user...IMG_0599_2.jpg

Tee Bee 12-27-2012 06:36 AM

Woowee, that sure looks pretty, Mr. Cox!

fizzwater2 12-27-2012 06:37 AM

Mr Cox - is that a Prather Toni .15 size? What do you have under the hood? I used to fly QM15, still some of my favorite airplanes.

CP, the "fizzwater2" is a story.. years ago, I was at my sister's place, trying to sign her up for AOL (which she no longer uses) - we tried and tried to come up with a "screen name" that didn't have anything to do with her real name - kept getting the "already used" message. There was a can of carbonated water setting by the computer, (lemon flavored if I remember correctly...) so I typed in "Fizzwater" just out of frustration - and it wasn't being used, so that was her AOL name for a while. Fizzwater2 just seemed like a nice, non-specific name to use on forums, etc.

If you get a chance, CP, you ought to see a Q40 race sometime. It's a real adrenaline rush to fly one, for sure. Here's the Sweet V I'll be working on - it's been flown, I'll need to put radio gear & engine in it, but that hadn't ought to take too long... the hardest part will be writing the check to my friend to pick it up! It's all molded composite, so there really isn't a whole lot of "building" involved..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...pse7541971.jpg

Mr Cox 12-27-2012 06:56 AM

I bought it second hand only (it was started on, but never finalized), so I don't know if it is the Prather one or not. I've put an MVVS .15 in it and will see how that works. It feels a little heavy and could possibly do better on an MDS .18 (rotated cylinder for rear exhaust).

straitnickel 12-27-2012 06:57 AM

Wow, I feel a new years resolution comming on.

fizzwater2 12-27-2012 07:09 AM

I had a Prather Toni QM15, flew it with a conquest .15 rear exhaust with the straight mini-pipe. Noisy, but it was a good noise...

I think in Australia they used to (or are..) flying similar sized planes with piped .21's. That might liven things up a bit!

combatpigg 12-27-2012 07:27 AM

Haw! For some reason I thought I'd seen just plain "fizzwater" signing in all this time..until I noticed the "2" recently.....

That is a real sharp plane...! I've seen Q40 flown locally just on the circuit where scheduled races are flown..but I've never seen them in practice ANYWHERE. Over the years I've flown lots of combat with Tom Strom and seen Pete Bergstrom and even Big Bruce here and there and I've never asked them where Q40 is practiced or else sport flown. The closest race to me is right down the hill from my house at the Arlington Airport. The course is guarded with a thick stand of Douglas Firs to the side that's the closest to houses, but the first time I ever saw racing there shocked me because I was on the hiking trail that follows the airport's perimeter fence and practically stumbled onto the course.....[:-]! Seeing the action from THAT perspective is REALLY impressive..!

aspeed 12-27-2012 08:16 AM

The Quarter Midgets would be kind of kool.  I got a Sig Scamp that some guys were using for club racing, and play with that on my own, more as a trainer.  It is hardly fast, but a real plane with a real motor would be good.  Even a .21, there are lots of those around. That club went to coroplast delta's with .15 to .25 motors after.(the .15's were quicker on the course) but I think that fizzled out too after a few years.  I picked up one of them too.  That is on my resolve to do list.

fizzwater2 12-27-2012 09:04 AM

I still have a couple QM15 mid-wing Stingers (DHG's kits) in the basement, and an old Gager P63. Up in the attic I have two kits - a Jacobsen PoleKitty (Polecat) and a Folkerts.

I doubt if the guys at the local field would like the open pipe much on a QM15 - been looking at those Magnum XLS 15's as a possible option to sport fly one of the planes. One of the stingers was electrified at one point with an e-flite Six series 2700KV motor. I didn't fly it that way - Duane did, said it was about like a Rossi powered QM15.

I suppose one of these days I might get around to putting some sort of .15 in the other stinger, see how it flies with a throttle!

Mr Cox 12-27-2012 09:18 AM

That's part of the reason why I have put a throttled MVVS .15 with a pipe in mine (rather than a conquest with a tube), that way I will hopefully fit in a little better at the local field.

Bojac 12-27-2012 10:17 AM

In 2013 I resolve to..........

1. Start and finish a Kadetito, Falcon Jr. and Herr Star Cruiser.

2. Un-borrow a Norvel Big Mig from my brother.

3. Finally make it to S.M.A.L.L.

4. Lead a horse to water AND make him drink.

straitnickel 12-27-2012 10:22 AM

LOL,
Definitely post if you get number four accomplished.

aspeed 12-27-2012 10:31 AM

Too bad we don't fit into the field.  I just never craved a monster scale plane.  I have been thinking of an RC plane with the Fora, but I have to sharpen my flying skills first.  I can do the Sig Wonder at full throttle now with the Fox .15, so it won't be too long.  I can convert some sort of throttle for the Fora and it has a muffler to 'fit into' the field.  The throttle would only be for an Oh Oh I am in trouble situation. There are lots of .21 sized pipes used in the dune buggies that can be cut off and converted, to get into the muffler rules and give some more power.  Lots of guys buy three or four pipes to try and don't use most of them because they aren't the pipe of the week.

buzzard bait 12-28-2012 05:53 AM

I resolve to build more biplanes and to floss my teeth regularly.

Jim

dmbaerry 12-28-2012 08:49 AM

<span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(251, 252, 255);">In 2013 I resolve to..........</span><div><span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(251, 252, 255);">
</span></div><div><span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(251, 252, 255);">1) Join the B.A.R.K.S club in burlington</span></div><div><span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(251, 252, 255);">2) Build Bridi Load Star</span></div><div><span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(251, 252, 255);">3) Start Flying again after 20 ys
4)scratch build an LST trainer
<br type="_moz" /></span></div>

MrGoodwreck 12-31-2012 03:31 PM

Find those plans that are floating around for a Q-tee, and build it with my 10 yo daughter who has been bugging me for a year to let her build one. ( she saw a post of eliworm that was cutting the kits for his little girl(Heather) posed with a pic of one that she built. My little girl saw that picture and wanted to do it also)

I feel like a crappy dad because it has taken so long. Most guys would give their eye teeth to get their little girls involved, and I have one begging me to cut a kit for her to build.[:@]

DICKEYBIRD 01-01-2013 10:39 AM

Gotta throw in my 2ยข worth. If I write it down, it'll help me actually do something.

1) Get my oldest grandson out to the field this spring and his thumbs onto some TX sticks.

2) Oops, before that, get to an eye doctor and get glasses or whatever's needed to actually see an airplane clearly again.

3) After #2 but before #1, recommission or re-radio one of the fleet; preferably 1/2A powered. If #2 isn't successful enough, it'll be the ol' Telemaster 40. Big, slow and has trained many family members before.

4) Since I'm writing things I need to do: Finish that darned Denford CNC lathe retrofit project and learn Mach3 tool tables and offsets. I hate software.

Thanks for starting the thread CP. I know at least you will do what you've resolved to do.:D

vicman 01-01-2013 11:12 AM

DM,
CCRC is a nice crew as well.