RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/)
-   -   Fanfold ME109-Emil 30-Inch (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/11362320-fanfold-me109-emil-30-inch.html)

ZoomZoom-RCU 01-08-2013 06:47 PM

Fanfold ME109-Emil 30-Inch

1 Attachment(s)
Here are some preliminary shots of My Fiddlers Green ME109 with Surestart .049 in the nose. Seems to be coming together pretty well. My only current concern is the enclosed engine and some heat and exhaust issues. With the exhaust ports being functional however, as well as other vent holes, I'm hoping this won't be an issue. I apologize for the messy bench...;)

ZZ.

MJD 01-10-2013 12:08 PM

RE: Fanfold ME109-Emil 30-Inch

You call that messy? Let me see if I have any photos around.. p:)

Neat project, hope it works out well. Light 30-32" span models are generally a sweet spot for 1/2A.

ffkiwi 01-10-2013 08:17 PM

I assume you're going to glass the inside of the engine bay?................otherwise your front end life expectancy is likely to be short-very short, with nitro fuel and hot exhaust...........

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'

ZoomZoom-RCU 01-11-2013 05:39 AM

Thanks MJD. It's always nice to know there is someone with a messier workspace than my own. ;) As I post more shots of progress I should pull the shot back so you can get the full scope of ALL the junk thats on there right now. Which incidentally includes a 2meter Wally World Glider that also has a Sure start in the beak that I'm finshing for experimental use as a camera platform.
As you mentioned ffkiwi, I did coat the interior of the engine compartment with a clear coat of epoxy to prevent the corrosion from engine vomit you touched on. Very good point. I also made the air scoop on the bottom of the fuse functional, not only so air can get in, but so that spent fuel/oil etc, can get out. The biggest challenge with this design IS the enclosed engine, and if I can handle this well, yet keep the scale appearance, I will be pleased. My next step is to run the remote starting wires out from the engine to the exhaust port so that starting only involves clamping my starter clip onto a certain part of the external exhaust, and not having to get inside to the engine head. Gotta keep my scale appearance! More images to come once progress is made.

ZZ.

ZoomZoom-RCU 01-12-2013 06:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some more shots of the progress. Engine wiring, wing forming, and initial fittings.

ZZ.

hfenn 01-13-2013 04:22 PM

Cool project. Are you going to paint it? If so, with what paint? I hope it flys well, looks like it would.

ZoomZoom-RCU 01-13-2013 05:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Certainly will need some paint once all the hard work is done. I will most likely use latex applied by brush. Then the whole thing will get sealed with polycrylic. This is roughly the scheme I'm ultimately gonna use. A variation of it.

ZZ.

GallopingGhostler 01-18-2013 01:14 PM

Nice. Amazing what one can do with 1/4" blue insulating foam board.

ZoomZoom-RCU 03-03-2013 06:42 PM

Anyone else have any issues posting images lately? I have some progress pics I'd like to post, but they keeping giving me errors when I try. I'm doing nothing differently than usual. Wierd.

ZZ.

GallopingGhostler 03-03-2013 07:06 PM

It's a server problem. Even the existing attachments from previous posts aren't being shown in the thread, just a bit of text.

ZoomZoom-RCU 03-04-2013 07:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Alrighty, thanks GG, think its gonna work this time. Here (hopefully...lol) are some shots of the recent progress. Wing saddle and spinner completed!

ZZ.;)

Rendegade 03-04-2013 09:32 PM

I wouldn't put that spinner on the front of an .049, more than likely it'll either be flung off, or cause enough vibration to shake the airframe to peices!

GallopingGhostler 03-04-2013 10:08 PM

Perhaps the spinner is a static display thingee, removed for flight?

Nice work, ZoomZoom-RCU, looking forward to seeing the finished product and flight report. ;)

combatpigg 03-04-2013 11:31 PM

ZZ..it's taking shaping nicely..!
Funny how I never see that skinny foam out here. It must not meet some sort of local building codes..?
You make it look easier than it really is, I'll bet. Getting the folds, curves, etc. just right before commiting to gluing it looks like making some jigs/holding fixtures would help.

ZoomZoom-RCU 03-05-2013 05:07 AM

Thanks for all the positive feedback. It will look a LOT nicer once she's painted up and you can no longer see the few bits of spackle that help fill problem areas. As far as the spinner is concerned, this one will fly with the plane. I have no issue making these work, and have made many like this that stayed put and are made from the same 1/8 foam material as the rest of the plane. In fact, this one has a cooling system built into it. The cannon hole in the front is actually an air intake and on the flat base plate of the spinner inside are two holes with metal vanes over them that act like fans, and should help pump some cooling air back onto the motor.
CP, its a shame you cant find this fanfold stuff to experiment with. It is truly amazing, and flexible....much more so than the 1/2" stuff. It really opens up creative possibilities, and although as you mentioned, you could use jigs to form stuff if you like, everything you see on the ME109 I did by hand shaping and nothing more. You just need to find the stuff (if your hardware store has it) that looks like an accordian.....hence the term fan-fold.:D

ZZ.

GallopingGhostler 03-05-2013 07:08 AM

ORIGINAL: combatpigg Funny how I never see that skinny foam out here. It must not meet some sort of local building codes..?
What is the thinnest they got in your neck of the woods, 1/2"?

ZoomZoom-RCU 03-07-2013 07:46 AM

Craaaaaazy SNOW. Three pine trees broken off 20 feet up laying in my driveway alone, missed my three cars by inches. Guess I will be buying that new chainsaw sooner than I expected....lol. But fear not, once my power comes back on.....probably sometime next week by current predictions....I will be resuming the build and attacking the aileron linkages and wing fairings. Till then, its back to cooking over the firplace!;)

ZZ.

PS. Am doing a different experiment with the ailerons on this project, using small diameter brass tubing as the main control arms, but socketed in bearings of slightly larger brass tubing glued into the frame, and all linked as is common with small aircraft ailerons to a single mid wing servo. We'll see.

GallopingGhostler 03-07-2013 07:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Snow? We had that a week ago. I guess you can look to the positive. If the chainsaw doesn't work out, it might make a good motor for a 1/5th scale warbird or 8 feet (2500 mm) wingspan mountain park flyer. :D

ZoomZoom-RCU 03-07-2013 11:17 AM

Oh wow GG, looks like you got a pretty good pile of the white stuff too. Ours is melting pretty well now, but that doesn't fix the power being down, or all of the downed trees. Funniest thing, my old cheapie chainsaw...(I think its like a poulan wild thing or something like that) won't run for more than 5 minutes without overheating. You mentioned a conversion, and I have had great success with conversions. I have a 25cc mucculloch weed eater engine I converted that I fly in a 1/4 scale Fokker DVIII, and its really great. This chainsaw however, is probably gonna end up in the trash. I've gone over the thing with a fine toothed comb. First off, the oil gas mix is correct, so I looked for air leaks in every line....clogged fuel clunks, and even installed a new carb. Still no matter what, it starts, you cut for about 3-5 minutes...and she dies from overheating. I really have never seen anything like it, and I'm usually pretty good with these things. Ah well....guess its time to head to Llowes.:eek:

ZZ.

flyinrog 03-07-2013 01:13 PM

Off subject and nice work Zoom,,CP, u might wanna up the oil ratio in the chainsaw, see if that helps any she sound well worn...Rog

GallopingGhostler 03-07-2013 02:45 PM

We got about 8" of the powder in blizzard conditions, but it was melted in a couple days.

ZoomZoom-RCU, I figure anyone who has done a power tool conversion engine already knows what he is doing. Yes, it does sound odd that the chain saw would overheat. I'm wondering if it could be a poor design that doesn't allow sufficient cooling, may be designated to run on low oil to meet EPA requirements but requires more.

I've got a Ryobi weed eater that is old, needs accessory parts. Bought a newer one that allows multiple attachments. I guess I could jump up in model size and go gas now. :D

ZoomZoom-RCU 03-08-2013 06:12 AM

Thats true GG! Every power tool upgrade is a potential flying machine waiting in the wings!lol. I apologize for the off topic diversion. I will return quickly once my power comes back on, and I can get back to work on the ME 109. You mentioned something flyingrog that made me think....which doesn't happen often;). This is a cheap and older saw, could wear in the cylinder piston fit cause a higher temperature running? Just curious.

ZZ.

PS. I did try to use higher oil to gas mix, high on the oil...but still no good.

GallopingGhostler 03-08-2013 01:56 PM

I figure ZoomZoom-RCU that you've probably done everything imaginable toward this piece of equipment, including a good cleaning. My son had problems with our Honda powered lawn mower, was stumped. I looked at it and found it had some leaf debris underneath the blower cowling that was interfering with the governor. There may be something simple going on that has been overlooked.

I'd say since it is old, probably has its share of hours on it and should have been broken in long ago. Could there be saw dust chips lodged somewhere, where the air can circulate around the engine causing it to overheat? Could there possibly be a broken off plastic part forming the cooling channel that directs air around the chain saw motor?

I know we've drifted off topic, my apologies to the OP.

I guess if we wanted to be considered on topic, has anyone considered making a fanfold 96-Inch ME109 with weed eater engine? :D

You probably could post your problem in the engine section, mention that you are a gas engine flyer using lawn appliance engines, and see what response you get. [8D]

ZoomZoom-RCU 03-09-2013 10:18 AM

Thanks GG. Its all been done, it's just time for a new one I guess. Will likely make a steam engine from the old one someday, but then that's another off topic discussion. So, the soon upcoming posts will be back on topic. I already have cut out the ailerons and have run part of the brass tubing control rods. Some pics will be forthcoming. As far as electricity....its still gonna be a few more days most likely....lol. Oh well.:eek:

ZZ.

ZoomZoom-RCU 03-09-2013 05:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, the juice is back on and here are some images of the internal wing mounts, and one of the brass aileron tubes and fitting.

ZZ.