RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/)
-   -   Lightweight low shrink Opaque Covering (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/11465123-lightweight-low-shrink-opaque-covering.html)

Steve Westphal 04-01-2013 04:50 PM

Lightweight low shrink Opaque Covering

After seeing the build thread on the Herr 30" Bonanza, I got my unbuilt kit out to start. I would prefer a low shrink, quality. opaque covering. I think that regular Monocote and it's counterparts would crush the superstructure. I do rememnber that fuelproofing tissue adds a tremendous amount of weight so it is a wash!! I also like the tissue for it's see thru quality. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The build thread does show(for the most part)reinforcment with carbon fibre and carbon tube landing gear beef up. I am sure a lot of you have seen the very impressive thread but would appreciate any extra suggestions. Thanksd.

xanaphyst 04-01-2013 06:14 PM

RE: Lightweight low shrink Opaque Covering

Cellophane from the dollar store is a popular recommendation here by some. I haven't tried it yet but plan on it soon.

exocet-RCU 04-01-2013 06:27 PM

Coverlite or Microlite will work but you have to get used to using them. I just used Microlite to cover a 27" Guillow's Zero. It wasn't the easiest to work with but it was really light and will probably work well for the Bonanza.

Tim

spog1 04-02-2013 01:18 AM

Don't use coverite microlite for nitro, it's not fuel proof.

bps 04-02-2013 02:37 AM

I use Solarfilm. Heat shrink adhesive and fuel resistant.

Wagon1 04-02-2013 03:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I used Coverlite on a 1/2a Kadet. Easiest material I have ever used. It is fuel proof, held paint well, very light and not to expensive. It is not however, opaque.

exocet-RCU 04-02-2013 08:14 AM

I haven't had any trouble with it yet. I haven't flown my zero but have run 3 tanks of 25% nitro fuel through it. No indications of problems.

Tim

hllywdb 04-02-2013 08:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, I KNOW this is going to put me in the minority here, but I use Ultracote on all my small stuff. I just covered my Q-Tee with it and am going to cover my .020 wee stick with it. I have used it on a number of 1/8" balsa stick turtle decks with no problem as long as I lay it on smooth and just use the iron to shrink it. The heat gun will break stuff. My problem is that I fly my small planes in an uncut field and when landing, those small little corn ear looking things at the top of the hay get snapped back by the wing and pop through the light coverings. So I trade a little weight for a lot less patching.

Tee Bee 04-02-2013 07:02 PM

Like hllywdb, I also often use Ultracote on .049-sized planes. If applied with an iron at low temp, it can be stuck down and shrunk tight slowly, by increasing the temp only as needed. On .010 and .020 birds, I have used Coverite Microlite with decent success. Though it's not rated as fuel resistant, it holds up pretty well as long as the residue is cleaned off the surface with something like Vinegar Windex when flying is complete. My well-used LaStick still has the Microlite covering I applied in 2007. It gets a bit saggy and required a touch-up with the iron on low temp once in a while. I had to reinforce the forward fuse bottom with some Ultracote as it's more durable for grass landings.

JohnAV8R 05-29-2013 04:08 PM

1.5 mil Doculam covered with tissue applied with dope or Varathane also works.

John