RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/)
-   -   Ziroli 1/2a sukhoi (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/11587153-ziroli-1-2a-sukhoi.html)

xplayer930 09-21-2013 09:21 AM

Ziroli 1/2a sukhoi

Just got a 1/2a ziroli from my lhs. What modifications cane I do to this little plane? Personally id like to have dual aileron servos and Id like to go with lipo power. But unsure as to what size motor is needed.

fritzke 09-21-2013 11:04 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Mine weighs just under 1 pound ready to fly with an 800mah 3 cell LiPo battery.
I used an old Team Avionics Gust MS outrunner and it flies very well.
1820 KV 29x26 and an APC 8 x 3.8 SF prop
One of my favorites. I used 2 servos for ailerons.
Spray-painted Doculam covering BTW.
Dave

Andrew 09-21-2013 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by fritzke (Post 11620979)
...............Spray-painted Doculam covering BTW.
Dave

Dave ---

Did you spray the glossy side or the adhesive side?
If the glossy side, how did you prep it?

andrew

fritzke 09-22-2013 11:19 AM

Outside (glossy side), just wiped it down with naptha (or use charcoal lighter fluid)
first. Paint does not stick great, so use low-tack masking materials. Krylon Fusion
is a good choice as it is made to adhere to plastics, but most sprays seem to work.
I used 5 different brands on this plane. Red, 2 shades of green, white, blue, canopy
was black Solarfilm.
Dave

DeviousDave 10-01-2013 07:21 AM

Buffing doculam with 3M scotchbrite pad before covering might help pain adhesion..

MJD 10-01-2013 11:16 AM

Even though Krylon Fusion may be for plastics, this is related to plastics with some surface energy - ABS, polystyrene, PVC, etc. These are characterized by their ability to be cut by various organic solvents, so the surface can be made active on exposure to solvent and create an aggressive bond with the paint. It is, unfortunately, of little help with low surface energy plastics like PE, PP, EPO, Mylar, the list goes on. Surface abrasion for mechanical grip is a good idea.

skaliwag 10-01-2013 12:28 PM

I used Krylon Interior / Exterior for years, worked well on the glue side. Seemed to meld with the glue. But they have changed the formula and it no longer works. Does not stick to the glue..

MJD 10-02-2013 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by skaliwag (Post 11628641)
I used Krylon Interior / Exterior for years, worked well on the glue side. Seemed to meld with the glue. But they have changed the formula and it no longer works. Does not stick to the glue..

I've been painting a Multiplex Dogfighter parkie the last couple of days - EPO foam (expanded polyolefin, i.e. the bouncy tough stuff)). It is amazing how poorly paint sticks to it, it becomes like a 5mil shell around the airframe waiting to be peeled off. The laws of science never seem to change - for every good thing there is a negative.. lift/drag, paint/heavy, really cool tough EPO foam/doesn't glue/paint worth beans.. etc

Actually I was experimenting the other day, glassing some scrap EPO from a slightly damaged (ok, trashed) Parkzone model.. I got a reasonably aggressive bond of light glass to the foam using vinylester resin.

Oops the topic is drifting... sorry OP.