RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/)
-   -   Small glider plans (.010 or .020) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/4413175-small-glider-plans-010-020-a.html)

ptulmer 06-20-2006 10:38 PM

Small glider plans (.010 or .020)

No, I'm not starting any more plans until I finish up a couple. I'm wondering if you guys have come across any nice .010 or .020 powered glider plans. Free and downloadable preferred! I haven't ran across any. Flyswatter is bringing his Nomad plans tomorrow, but I wanted to see what else was out there. If he brings the actual Nomad, I'll take a picture or two.

Bipe Flyer 06-20-2006 11:19 PM

RE: Small glider plans (.010 or .020)

1 Attachment(s)
How about a TeeDee Bird? TeeDee .010 powered FF glider. I've got some .049 stuff too, that could be scaled down if you want 'em.

JasonRP 06-21-2006 12:12 AM

"Cheap Fun!"

.049-.010 powered

It's not quite free, but looks really cool..

http://www.rcmmagazine.com/e/env/000...=plans:PL-1261

D Bronk 06-21-2006 05:50 AM

ORIGINAL: Bipe Flyer

I've got some .049 stuff too, that could be scaled down if you want 'em.

I would like to see those, in the natural ,0.049" size..PLEASE

Raymond LeFlyr 06-21-2006 06:42 AM

Patrick,

Nomads are hard to beat. I've never had one of my own but a couple of decades ago (can it really be that long!) one of my clubmates had one that he used to fly while I was hi-starting 2-meter gliders. I was impressed enough with the model that I borrowed his plans and traced them. Never built one for myself.

Since you brought it up though it would make a swell RO project (IMHO) because while its great for a powered glider, adding elevator control isn't gonna buy you much by way of "performance" (RE aerobatics). If I understand your desire for a fun airplane to just putter around the pea patch with a Nomad-type model would be a good choice - and something different with a Pee Wee for power. Ah, I can just see it now, climbing out on the Pee Wee and hunting thermals when the noise stops. Woo hoo.

flyinrog 06-21-2006 07:38 AM

ORIGINAL: ptulmer

No, I'm not starting any more plans until I finish up a couple.

what? cant build 10 planes at once?..wimp;)

ptulmer 06-21-2006 07:54 AM

Bipe, I'm with Dave. If you got the time, I got the interest!:D That TeeDee Bird has a straaaange wing design.

Jason, clean your glasses dude. That's .049-.10.[sm=lol.gif] Still a nice airplane, though!

Raymond, when our club pres gets all the paperwork caught up, I'm supposed to be an intro pilot. He was the only person who knew the paperwork involved and a terrible motorcycle accident took him out-of-action for almost the whole year. Our charter and everything got behind. Anyway, aside from my enjoyment, it would be nice to have something unique to introduce people with. I've got the mini-telemaster to use as a trainer, but that's not really the essence of 1/2a like a Nomad.

Rog, I said plans. I fully intend on starting another plane![sm=lol.gif] Just gonna use somebody else's plans.

skaliwag 06-21-2006 08:19 AM

Let's not forget DB's Pee Wee powered P J. I've seen it fly and catch hot air. You wouldn't be disappointed.

JasonRP 06-21-2006 01:42 PM

Jason, clean your glasses dude. That's .049-.10.[sm=lol.gif] Still a nice airplane, though!
Ack!!! You're right! Sorry man! hahahahaha

BMatthews 06-21-2006 02:13 PM

It's not free since it's an RCM plan but the Tern is cute and simple to build. I had one years ago for the old GG system and it was a nice little bird...

http://www.rcmmagazine.com/e/env/000...m=plans:PL-212

MJD 06-21-2006 03:25 PM

I think the Thermic 36 (pod and boom fuselage version) would be a darn cute choice with a power pod.

I have a kit, so a scan of the plans is possible. I'll look and see which one I have, the built up or pod and boom version, forget off the top of my head.

MJD

Raymond LeFlyr 06-21-2006 08:03 PM

PT,

I saw in a recent Model Aviation magazine that our beloved AMA leaders have recognized that the intro pilot program was not too beginner friendly. So the three trainers per club limit has been deleted and the paperwork reduced to one-time-only and the time span is 90-days. Now this makes more sense. So you should find it much easier to "infect" newbies than it was last year.

As for what planes make good trainers - my vote goes to whatever the 'teacher' prefers. But if someone insisted on hearing what I have to say, well let me just say that I think that the ubiquitous .40-size trainer may be over rated and that there might be cheaper, less intimidating ways to introduce miniature aviationism to the masses.

FWIW, I was all set to build my Blink (and the Gnat and a Fat boy) this week but my plans have changed. So, don't think that I've forgotten youse-all.

Silvaire 06-21-2006 08:20 PM

On the subject of .010/.020 powered gliders...

Does anyone have any experience with a Gnome? (NOT the MM Glider Tech kit, but a completely different and smaller design, probably from the early 1970's.)

This is a .010 or .020 powered glider designed by Ted Strader, who also designed the Nomad. It is a similar layout with a pod mounted engine. It is simpler in design than the Nomad and has a 38" constant chord wing and a dihedral. As such, it would be an easy scratch build. I have a kit for one (in a plastic sack even) by "Kustom Kit" that is also labeled "Special Edition Plans".

If anyone has built and flown one, I'd appreciate any comments about it.

jetranger-RCU 06-21-2006 08:32 PM

I just picked up a Jetco Thermic 50 kit in mint condition for a 010--I think I must build it soon--I might trace the parts instead and keep the kit intact

Silvaire 06-21-2006 08:52 PM

Jetranger,

I would guess that you have a Jetco Thermic 50 R/C?

(For what it's worth, Jetco also made a "standard" Thermic 50 for towline freeflight, and a Thermic 50X that was pod and boom with the same wing.)

A Thermic 50 R/C should be an easy design to copy as you intend, as it is mostly sticks, with little other than the wing ribs to actually copy.

If you do build one, you might consider adding a wing main spar. They used only the leading and trailing edges as spars and the wing is quite weak. They were designed to built very light and rudder only (rubber powered escapement), and having elevator control would be an invitation to disaster without beefing up the wing some.

jetranger-RCU 06-21-2006 09:29 PM

Silvaire,

Just checked it is the 50 R/C also have the Nordic 72 with pod and boom

build light 06-21-2006 10:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I ran across this some time back and finally found it. Owen Kampen in 1968 had his original design .020 Rivets (easy to see plus readable on placard) along with what the text describes as an original .010 powered sailplane. Unfortunatly the text does not reveal the name of the sailplane nor is the plackard readable to me.
Nice sailplane. Might be just what you are looking for but I have no idea what it is nor the name of it. Possibly someone else can identify it and from there we might be able to find the plans for it. Owen did have many of his designs published as most here are already aware.

Myself, I like the lines of the Tee Dee Bird. Stands out and begs to be looked at.

Then too (though they don;t have as much character) an wakefield Rubber job could be easily scaled and maybe dressed up some to give it some character. Several of these can be found for free on :
Http://theplanpage.com

Robert

Raymond LeFlyr 06-22-2006 08:05 AM

Gee, that Rivets looks familiar. Hmm.

GrahamC 06-22-2006 11:31 AM

Here's one I think would make nice powered glider for a small engine. In fact you thread has me thinking about getting started on something like this myself.

It's called the Lulu and you can download plans here:

http://www.theplanpage.com/st.htm

Should be about the right size for a .020 (or better yet a PAW 55 - .03 diesel) And of course you can always size it up or down to suit at the local copy shop.

cheers, Graham in Embrun near Ottawa Canada

No, I'm not starting any more plans until I finish up a couple. I'm wondering if you guys have come across any nice .010 or .020 powered glider plans. Free and downloadable preferred! I haven't ran across any. Flyswatter is bringing his Nomad plans tomorrow, but I wanted to see what else was out there. If he brings the actual Nomad, I'll take a picture or two.

EASYTIGER 06-22-2006 12:14 PM

The Nomad is great.
I have flown the Thermic 50RC quite extensively, with an 01, the climb is gentle, with an 02 with a throttle, like a homesick angel. Gets very high, very fast.
I second the wing reinforcement, I have folded the wing twice on mine, just trying to get it down from a great height. Mine is retired for the moment.
Adding elevator is nice, it really helps you get down from big thermals...you can lose a plane like this downwind otherwise. Not mandatory, but nice.
With the 01 on a calm evening, it was just so floaty and beautiful, a really nice modelling experience...

Strat2003 06-22-2006 06:07 PM

I'll vote for the Thermic 50 R/C. (we were voting, weren't we, lol?) In the mid 60's we flew one with a TD .020 with the run limited by a Tatone Tick-Off timer. As I remember, 30 seconds or so got it to a nice altitude. The radio was a single channel Babcock working an escapement on the rudder. Lots and lots of little up-and-down flights on summer evenings in the field in back of our house. It just doesn't get any better!

EASYTIGER 06-22-2006 06:29 PM

I originally built mine for Citizenship escapement...

Jim Thomerson 06-22-2006 06:41 PM

The Jasco Thermic 50 was a beautiful glider, two spars in the wing as I recall. I built one around 1950. Plans out in the shop. Also have a kit for the Jetco Thermic 50 which is the simplified version with no spars. There was a Thermic 70 which was like the early Thermic 50. I built a Thermic 72 and a Floater in the early '50's. The later Jetco kits are much simplified. I have plans for the Jasco Thermic 50x which is the pod and boom and a later kit or plans (haven't looked in a while) with simplified construction. I have Thermic 72 plans and a short kit. One of these days. Ive been accumulating free flight flying wing plans and articles and will probably build one some time for small engine and maybe radio.

EASYTIGER 06-22-2006 07:45 PM

I have a Thermic 72 on two channels, it's great. With an 01 on a pod, it will barely, barely climb. I will put on an 02 next time I drag it out....
Pics of both my Thermic 50RC and Thermic 72 are somewhere here on RCU....

Ralph B 06-22-2006 07:55 PM

If you will excuse me for posting a link to an electric design I think you might be interested in the "Termite" shown here:
http://www.parmodels.com/ralphs_models.htm

I have to admit to being a bit biased in favor of the Termite since I designed it but it really does fly very well for a small model. It flies and thermals very much like a good two meter rudder/elevator ship. I have wanted to build one for a glow .010 for some time but have not done it yet. There is a link to a free pdf download of the plan if anyone would like to try it. It's really just a big free flight hand launch glider with a built up fuselage. The conversion to glow would be quite simple and I think the cox .010 would be ideal on it.

Ralph B