RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/)
-   -   What models did Cox use this prop om? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/8969340-what-models-did-cox-use-prop-om.html)

build light 07-27-2009 09:07 PM

What models did Cox use this prop om?

Several years ago I purchased some odds N ends stuff including a couple of sets of NOS Cox 049 wrenches, 2 white 3 blade Tornado 5X3 props, several spring starters a Gilbert 11 glow head and 2 Cox 4.5X4 reverse pitch props.
I had forgotten about these and ran into them today.

The Cox props have the same recess that other props have when using the Cox Prop nut that holds the spinners tight. Also have the square tips.

Any one have a clue which model(s) Cox these may have used these on?
I did a quick search and found nada.

Robert

proptop 07-27-2009 11:37 PM

RE: What models did Cox use this prop om?

Are they 2 blade or 3?

BTW, if you don't have a Gilbert .11 to use that glow head on, perhaps you might consider selling/trading it?

build light 07-28-2009 12:31 AM

ORIGINAL: proptop

Are they 2 blade or 3?

BTW, if you don't have a Gilbert .11 to use that glow head on, perhaps you might consider selling/trading it?
Sorry, left that part out. They are 2 blade props. Looks like a speed prop!
Just looked closer and the only markings are 4.5D 4P on the front of one blade. on the back of one hub is the number "1". on the other hub is the number "0". No other markings are visible. Thought I would see Thimble Drome but no it is not there. The hub is very thick. Measures exactly thirteen thirtyseconds of an inch. Lots thicker than the usual.
Thbe front of the "airfoil" looks normal but if you look at the back side you can easily see the tip is thicker over the distance of 5/16" from the tip.
It is more noticeable when you look at the tip edgewise. There you can percieve that the front is also thicker, just barely.

Note that the recess is on the front of the prop? doesen't that truely make it a left handed prop? I just don't think this prop was meant to be a pusher prop because as a pusher the recessed part would need to face the prop drive washer.[sm=confused.gif]

I wish I had a good camera to show this. I am moving and that is how I ran into this again. Next month (not so far away) I might be able to get something to show you good folks.

Proptop, I don't have a Gilbert .11 to use that glow head on. Yes I would conmsider a trade for something. Hold that thought till I get moved and we will see what we can see.

Robert

combatpigg 07-28-2009 02:49 AM

Robert, if the 4.5x4 props are black rubber, I'd like to buy 1 of them from you!!! ......[sm=tongue_smile.gif]

build light 07-28-2009 10:06 PM

CP, I would be glad to know that you could use one! Sure thing! Right now it is in the other apartment. Went there today. Moving is such a pain. Let me get settled in there and I will be glad to get one of these to you.

Robert.

Tom Nied 07-28-2009 10:33 PM

Used on a Cox pusher tether car?

build light 07-29-2009 12:47 AM

I tell you true I don't know which is why I ask. Seems the Prop rod Rod a six inch prop. You can look here:
http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/cox_models.htm and easily see these props are larger than 5 inches. Rermember this is only four and a hlf inches total length! Looks downright stubby, not long and slender.
Remember also in a previous post I said the prop had a recess on the front of the airfoil so if it were mounted like most props it would be running most inefficiently unless you let the drive washer sit in the recess!

I Hope someone knows for sure. Could be these were not used on production models at all!
One thing is sure is That it passes the rubber ducky test

If it were for speed I would thing it would have a greater pitch than 4".

Robert

combatpigg 07-29-2009 01:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Robert, that would be great of you! Rubber even! I want to build another pusher speedster with a sheet wing. I saved the first one I built a few years back for future reference, it was fast but could have used more fin area and stiffer fins. It crabbed around sometimes. It also could have used some styling, but I was just trying to prove an idea then.

build light 08-03-2009 10:41 AM

OK CP, all moved in!

If you mount this prop as a pusher, you will need to fill the recessed area somehow.

PM sent

Robert

johnvb-RCU 08-07-2009 03:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone know what these props were used on? They are 5D * 3.5P gray, 3 blade pushers. I will be using one on my PAW 55 powered nontest entry if I ever get past cutting the ribs :-)

proptop 08-07-2009 09:42 AM

ORIGINAL: johnvb-RCU

Anyone know what these props were used on? They are 5D * 3.5P gray, 3 blade pushers. I will be using one on my PAW 55 powered nontest entry if I ever get past cutting the ribs :-)

That looks like the one used on the Corsair...and I think the Shrike (later version of the Prop Rod ) and maybe the Helldiver?

Schu 08-07-2009 04:16 PM

Robert,
I think I may have a couple of those as well and a couple of three blade props that look much the same. Who knows where they came from as I would trade a lot of stuff around - I will try to post some pic's to see if they are the same as yours. I think some even had rubber spinners?

Dale

build light 08-07-2009 05:45 PM

The thing that strikes me as really odd is the design of this thing. Could be not Cox? Sure looks like a Cox prop to me.

I believe this thing was designed to run clockwise and in a tractor configuration.
I just don't know any Cox model that would need to do this. Could be one of the helicopters? Or UFO flying disc?

Dale, it would be great if you could post some pictures. I am image challenged for now. I think my computer is nearly dead as well.
When I finally got it to boot into windows this time I only have partial windows functions. This is not safe mode either. with safe mode you don't have sound and thew screen res is marginal. What I have right now has no toolbar or start button.
i cannot access "My Computer" or systems. I do have sound! I can play movies and watch youtube.
Tried a new harddrive and the computer didn't like that either. It has to be in the motherboard somewhere.

Robert

johnvb-RCU 08-07-2009 08:42 PM

ORIGINAL: proptop

ORIGINAL: johnvb-RCU

That looks like the one used on the Corsair...and I think the Shrike (later version of the Prop Rod ) and maybe the Helldiver?

This one is a pusher. Maybe they were for the Cox cars.

66Malibu 08-07-2009 09:21 PM

It looks like the pusher prop on the Cox Backdraft RTF plastic C/L plane.

SGC 08-07-2009 11:10 PM

The Heldiver I had was fitted with a 6x3" 3B tractor prop with rounded tips.