RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/)
-   -   Herr Cloud Ranger build. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/9293166-herr-cloud-ranger-build.html)

GaryHarris 11-30-2009 07:39 PM

Herr Cloud Ranger build.

Just delivered by the guy in the brown truck and I have the drawings hung up on the wall so they they settle down from the "rolly polly" thing that drawings do. The build starts tomarrow.

:)

GaryHarris 11-30-2009 08:20 PM

RE: Herr Cloud Ranger build.

ORIGINAL: GaryHarris

Just delivered by the guy in the brown truck and I have the drawings hung up on the wall so they settle down from the ''rolly polly'' thing that drawings do. The build starts tomarrow.

ProBroJoe 11-30-2009 08:26 PM

Cool... been thinking about one of these fer myself for a while now. Maybe, just maybe, I'll build one after I build this Sig Wonder that's been staring back at me for about a month or so now. :eek:

So, what are your plans for a powerplant?

GaryHarris 11-30-2009 08:42 PM

ORIGINAL: ProBroJoe

Cool... been thinking about one of these fer myself for a while now. Maybe, just maybe, I'll build one after I build this Sig Wonder that's been staring back at me for about a month or so now. :eek:

So, what are your plans for a powerplant?

I'm leaning towards an OS 10 LA. My ears are open tho.

ProBroJoe 11-30-2009 09:36 PM

ORIGINAL: GaryHarris

I'm leaning towards an OS 10 LA. My ears are open tho.
Sounds like a perfect choice to me!

(I have both the .10 FP and .10 LA here - one of which I plan to use.)

Looking forward to the build...

-Joe

Invertedflyby 12-01-2009 01:18 AM

Very Cool!   A .10 seems to be the engine for these.   A TT-07 would probably be good too.

flyinrog 12-01-2009 08:18 AM

The Cloud ranger is more like a HOB kit,,goes together like lincon logs...but sturdy..PBJ wish I'd a known got a wonder here just gathering dust that raindave built for me, OS .15LA on it..not really my kind of plane...Fast + Rog = bad crash as a rule and this thing is touchy, but pretty so its a dust gatherer,,....Rog

GaryHarris 12-01-2009 06:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Getting started.
I love the smell of a new kit and its a perfect cold and rainy day to start building. As I expected from Herr, the sticks are straight as an arrow and light. The laser cutting is a good as it gets. Pieces fell out as I got the sheets out of the bag. I plan to build this as a 4 channel with airelons and reduced dihedral.

On to the tail feathers.

GaryHarris 12-01-2009 06:45 PM

Welp, this is not a good way to start out. I didn't receive any tail feathers. [&o]

E mail time.

Tom Nied 12-02-2009 12:20 AM

That's weird. I bet they'll take care of that. I used to fly Indoor Free Flight with Tom Herr, he is a nice guy.

GaryHarris 12-02-2009 07:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mike Lee responded immediatly and sent the missing parts in todays mail. What a great guy!

So I am moving forward to the fuselage build and identifying all the parts needed to build the left side first as the intructions call for. Most likely I wont get as far as gluing anything together tonight as this kit takes a little more study than one like a 4*40 does.

I wonder if I could stuff an OS FS .30 in there? Itll fit! It would be about 6 oz's heavier though.

Tom Nied 12-02-2009 07:50 PM

While doing some research on the Cloud Ranger, I found this. Amusing as well as informative. Cool little plane. You got the beer manufacturer right.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cl6YWqi0LY[/youtube]

GaryHarris 12-02-2009 08:17 PM

flyinrog 12-02-2009 08:34 PM

Thats Mr67stang's video of his cloud ranger...Rog

skaliwag 12-02-2009 09:23 PM

What does M67Stang have on the front for all that vertical?

Tom Nied 12-02-2009 10:42 PM

He states an OS .10 LA. Seems pretty adequate.

jeffie8696 12-03-2009 12:41 AM

Adequate? Looks plenty "Spirited" to me. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif
Heck if I arrived at the field with one of these I would really get funny looks. I am already a loner with my Kadet Jr with "just" a .25. Smallest plane Ihave ever seen flown there that wasnt electric is .40 powered. Except for my dearly departed Little Extra with the ASP .12 on it. And nobody even got to see it fly but me and my buddy.

PatrickCurry 12-03-2009 10:19 AM

Same at my field Jeff.... which is why I'm building a .10 SPAD trainer right now.  LOL  Not sure the .10 is going to cut it though.  Hey Gary, what are you guessing will be the final weight of the Cloud Ranger?  That's a real nice lookin' plane!

GaryHarris 12-03-2009 12:03 PM

ORIGINAL: PatrickCurry

Same at my field Jeff.... which is why I'm building a .10 SPAD trainer right now. LOL Not sure the .10 is going to cut it though. Hey Gary, what are you guessing will be the final weight of the Cloud Ranger? That's a real nice lookin' plane!

I dunno. I'm not going to worry about too much though. I tend to be pretty liberal with adhesives and usualy I end up a tad on the heavy side anyway. With the .10 on there it shouldnt be a problem.

GaryHarris 12-05-2009 01:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This build is going very easy and so far I have about 3 hours in total build time. I'm also re-thinking my first choice in engines, the OS .10. The plane so far seems to be coming out very light and I belive in order to run a .10 engine I would have to do some "beefing" up here and there. And I'd rather not do this and this is where I ask for engine recommendations.

Another recommendation I am looking for is covering material. Originally I was just going to use whatever Monokote I had laying around and not worry about weight since I planned to over power the model anyway! I have since changed my mind. And so has my scheme.

I'm leaning towards a semi scale military look with a olive drab covering like the Piper Cub Grasshopper.

Knowledge talks, wisdom listens! ;)

Invertedflyby 12-05-2009 02:09 PM

Glad the build is going well.

I'm not an expert but since I have this plane I'll chime in. I don't think it needs any beefing up to handle an O.S. .10. All the ones I've seen have an O.S. .10 including mine, and I didn't modify it other than reduce the dihedral.

But I think a Norvel .074 or a Thunder Tiger .07 would be a good match. The TT would probably be the easiest since it will bolt directly to the firewall and probably has the right amount of power for the plane. Another option is an older O.S. .10, I just bought a really old one and it weighs over an ounce and a half less than my .10 FP.

I hear there are lighter weight coverings, Solite/Microlite, Doculam, silk and dope, but I've never covered with anything except monokote or Ultracote so I can't comment on that.

Good Luck, can't wait to see another completed Cloud Ranger.

GaryHarris 12-05-2009 02:24 PM

Isn't Norvel out of bussiness?

Invertedflyby 12-05-2009 02:29 PM

Yes, but you can find them used sometimes.  I would probably go with the TT, the Norvel is lighter and more powerful (and more $$), but I don't know if that's needed for this plane.

cotton11 12-05-2009 02:38 PM

Using an LA .10 on mine, no beefing up. Also have a TT .07 I could have used, but chose the .10 due to using individual aileron servos. This thing's a real hoot!

ProBroJoe 12-05-2009 03:05 PM

It's coming along great Gary! I guess glue choice is pretty critical in dealing with all of those jig saw puzzle pieces that make up the fuse - it'd be hell trying to sand all of those seams were one to use CA!

The Coverite Microlite is nice stuff, but be careful when ironing / shrinking - it's definitely a low-temp film. It remains a little spongy after shrinking so it handles minor bumps and bruises well, unlike some of the more brittle coverings. However, good old Monocote really doesn't add that much weight on a model this size. The biggest weight savings is in the cool micro radio gear we have available today!

-Joe