RCU Forums - View Single Post - prop style for Saito .82 FS
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2010, 04:30 PM
IMaflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: prop style for Saito .82 FS

WHY?

Why does one prop spool up better than another?
Why do speed guys prefer the wooden standard, but other guys prefer the Pro Zinger?
Why are K-series props particularly well-suited to 4-stroke engines?

I have read that 4-stroke engines are higher torque engines whereas 2-strokes operate more on higher RPMs, so naturally a larger diameter prop will be more efficient on a 4-stroke (less RPM and more torque) and a smaller diameter prop will function better with a 2-stroke (less torque and more RPM). For you scientists, I know I'm over-simplifying, but I'm a music pastor. Give me a break.

Charlie, thank you for the answer to: Why wood over nylon? (Wood is stiffer and doesn't deform at high speed.) As for the rest of your post, I'll clarify that this airplane's main purpose will be aerobatics (possibly 3D, but mostly IMAC)

Jaka, what is it about the overall shape and thickness that makes a prop count?

W8ye, Thank you for your elucidation of the wooden prop's spooling characteristics. Why forget the regular Zinger? Why are we better off with the Pro Zingers? I am not doubting you; I'm just curious about the background that led you to that conclusion. Until today (and with all of your help), I had no way of intelligently choosing one prop over the other outside of apparently random suggestions.

Thank you all for your information and for helping to educate me! [8D]

To further muddy the waters, any opinions out there (duh!) about why I would lay out $10 for a Vess prop instead of $5-$6 for a Master Airscrew? Is Vess the Ferrari and M.A. the Yugo here? Is there a significant enough difference to warrant the price or am I just paying for the smarmy logo and shiny varnish on the more expensive prop?