RCU Forums - View Single Post - The 2.4 Attitude - Does your field have it?
Old 09-23-2010, 04:19 PM
HellcatAce
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The 2.4 Attitude - Does your field have it?

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

Well I have it. The 2.4 attitude that is.
I feel sorry for you if you don't have the money to convert to 2.4.
For those that have the means, I think you are ignorant of the facts or just plain stubborn.
72 served us for many years but the fact is its obsolete technology.

Hmmm, well, if you read the first sentence of the inital post, I thought I was pretty clear that I do use, own, and fly 2.4 GHz equipment. In fact I use both DSM2 and Hitec FHSS in addition to 72Mhz and 50Mhz gear. You really wouldn't want to use 50Mhz as it requires the user to pass a test for a HAM Radio license in addition to with using a loathesome frequency pin.

Unfortunatley, short sighted statements claiming ignorance and slapping an "Obsolete" label on FM modulation are not good for the hobby and in fact could undermine efforts by the AMA to make it clear to the FCC that there are many thousands of users on non 2.4 Ghz bands such as 72 Mhz. Perhaps you aren't aware, but with the proposed National Broadband Plan, the FCC is looking at the whole spectrum (not to be confused with Spektrum/JR) in an effort to grab the necessary space needed to implement it.

The AMA just got through putting together a response to a FCC NPRM (Notice of Proposed Rule Making) comment request regarding the continued use of 72, 75, and 27 MHz by the hobby community and the manufacturers who still market a large amount of RTF systems on those bands. How many 2.4GHz planes, helis, and cars do you see on the shelves at YOUR local Walmart?

In regards to FM as an "obsolete" technology, I'm guessing you wouldn't be lowering yourself to listen to FM or (GASP!) AM radio at home or in the car. If you think you're elite because you listen to "HD radio" you are still listening to FM, it's just a dedicated digital subcarrier of the parent analog broadcast. If you have satellite radio, the receivers for cars often use an "obsolete" low power FM carrier that you can tune your radio to in order to hear it.

So if we were to have it your way, many many thousands of modelers would be forced to buy new equipment that they indeed may not be able to afford, which in turn will eliminate the incentive for 2.4 manufacturers to price their products to compete with FM gear with the same functional capabilities. Manufacturers of toy grade merchandise would have to chose whether to offer their products in 2.4 at a higher price, or just avoid the whole problem by not selling them in the US at all. I'm no economist, but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be considered to have a positive effect on the market as a whole.

However, I must thank you for your comments as I had totally forgotten this aspect of the 2.4 attitude and it can now become a part of this discussion.

I think you should be careful of those you would so quickly call ignorant when it's clear that you didn't take the time to consider the facts yourself. However, we are looking for our next governor here in California. With that kind of attitude, I consider you more than qualified for the gig!