RCU Forums - View Single Post - TFGE F4U Corsair 60 Kit Build
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2010, 09:55 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: TFGE F4U Corsair 60 Kit Build

Oh nearly forgot. I was on a real roll today before the incident. Since mine is going to be electric instead of gas I need somewhere to place the packs. Well the fuel tank mount and servo tray had to go as they as you know take up most of the middle section. Got the back half of the tank mount removed, ditto the servo tray. Rebuilt the servo tray so it sits up near the top of the fuse now. Even moved the control rod supports and installed new former supports. Worked out really well.

Cut my cowl ring flaps and came up with what I think was a neat way of bending them so they are in the open position.

Instead of back cutting or heating them individually and bending them here's what I did. I made multiple wraps of masking tape around the end of the fuse. Built it up till it was about a 1/8" tall. Slipped the ring on and started working it back till I could get the bolts started and draw it in tight. As the flaps rode up over the tape they spread open and apart.

I did remove a section of the tape dam so the top center flap would not open. But the rest opened up like petals on a flower. I knew this would only work as long as the tension was removed so what I did was take a heat gun and carefully warm up the ring at the flap to ring area. As the plastic softened it released the tension on the flaps against the tape dam.

Let it cool and pulled the ring back off, removed the tape from the fuse and reinstalled the ring to check my handy work. Sometimes I impress myself, and this was one of them.
I have nice even open flaps where they should be. Little bit of sanding and it's ready for paint.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl31010.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	1509668   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96380.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	1509669   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38537.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	97.3 KB