RCU Forums - View Single Post - 156" Foam Wing Carbon Fiber Question
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 07:55 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: 156

Yes,

I read your first post. No, I could not make out the measurements. That's why I asked.

Thanks for those measurements.

Where did the 2.5 degrees of washout come from? Will you fly off of grass or are you sticking to pavement only? Overall gross weight?

So, do you have structural drawings of the actual aircraft?

You must have something to go by because you are using scaled down measurements for your model. Correct?

As a former commercial pilot, any pilot for that matter, we are taught to pay attention to V speeds. In fact, that's a given for any piloted aircraft. Know the V speeds and you can probably fly the airplane. Guess at them and you can get into serious trouble.

Aircraft structures are designed with operational V speeds in mind. Extremely large models could be designed this way also. Maybe they are?

That's why a peak at the aircraft's structural drawings are important. At lease to me.

Be interesting to see where the most important structures are located, in relationship to each other?

I personally wouldn't rely on only my modeling experience to design a model that will be worth that kind of money, let alone the investment in time.

I don't do big models like that. 90" is my largest. Doesn't mean I don't know anything or that I cannot offer advice. I am quick to give advice. [sm=bananahead.gif]

But I would really do my homework, in depth! Someone has built and flown P-38's of this size someplace. IMHO, that's the guy you want to talk to. Or guys.

I do have to tell you, guys like you, that take on projects like this, inspire all of us. Well, me anyway.

Kudos!

There's a guy in CT. Metamorphosis, (sp.) plating or something like this? His work is incredible. He has a large P-38, not sure how big, but it's large.

He's all over RCU. Has some secrete way to aluminum plate. His P-38 Thread is like nothing you'll ever see with finishing a model to look like it's aluminum. Check it out! By the looks of his work, he knows more than I'll ever know about models.

Can't hurt talking to this guy.