RCU Forums - View Single Post - Customs, taxes, travelling with equipment
Old 11-01-2010, 06:30 AM
KouDy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Customs, taxes, travelling with equipment

Hi everyone,
i hope it's not double post i tried search and stuff but i think my questions are very specific and could be useful for others too...

Living in Europe means that everything in RC (and actually anything else too ) is quite more expensive than in america and especially in asia (i have this impression for webshops and in asia with personal experience too).
Fortunately i travel to Malaysia here and there. And i chose new piece of equipment that i'd like to get. Futaba 10CHG transmitter set with receiver.

Travelling with equipment questions :
1) How would you folks recommend to carry around electric heli (Walkera CB180Z in my case)? Take it onboard as hand lugage? Check it in for cargo space? I do have alu case for it which i think should be able to stand handling but one never knows.
2) In the case of taking it on board, did anyone try to take transmitter on board? I can imagine security guard would be (rightfully)paranoid about letting me in and throwing away transmitter is bad idea...

Customs and taxes :
3) If i buy transmitter in Singapore personally (meaning i will grive there) i would be paying taxes there. As foreigner i would say i have high chance of being stop on Singapore-Malaysian borders. With item like Futaba 10C i guess they would put duties and taxes on it. Anyone has idea how much would this be? Does make sense to pay taxes in Singapore and then again in Malaysia? Then add again borders from Malaysia to Europe on the airport. Same situation.
4) If i buy transmitter online in Singapore and let them ship it to Malaysia, then it might be stopped on the borders again with, duties and taxes put on it. Then trip to Europe with again chance for new taxations and duties.

Avoiding all this would be good. Paying taxes and duties 3 times is not exactly what i would (or anyone) like to do.

So did anyone go for holiday and bought stuff there? Any feedback is much appreciated.