RCU Forums - View Single Post - Memberships to Clubs
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2010, 07:44 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Memberships to Clubs

ORIGINAL: Techman-59

First off I want to make it clear that Iam NOTtrying to start a argument here, I just want to know why so many people want beginners to join a Club and Join a National Membership into RC Planes? I see the benifts in a local club,People may need the tutorship of an experinced flyer to get in the air and also learn the equitte of flying around other planes.Plus the ins and outs of the hobby.But I am more of a "loner" when Ido my Hobbies, Ilike to do this for relaxation and it is a good therapy for me to go out and be alone and relax.
Like Isaid I am not trying to start a argument but seriouslythe Hobby of Flying for me and a few other beginners Ihave spoke with feel as tho if you don't "JOINUP" you may be looked at as a outsider! I am SUPERgrateful for all of the help that Ihave been given on this site by many members so please do not take this as a "Snub" and Ihope that I can continue to get and give help where and when Ican.
What am Imising here?
Apparently you do see the reason peoplerecommend beginners join clubs. In the begining all of us can benefit from some organized help and some understanding of safety practices, etc.

Aside from that, many of us find the social aspect of flying as enjoyable as the flying itself. I enjoy flying a lot more when other members of my club are at the flyingfield.Some of my closest friends today are members of my club. I would never have met them if we had not both been part of the same club. To me that has been a HUGE benefit of being part of a club.

Group projects can be fun too. Our club is organizing a group build over the winter. New builers will have the benefit of hands-on help from experienced builders. We also organize club events such as contests, picnics, and the like. These are fun too.

But if you like to fly alone, fly alone. There is nothing wrong with that. Whatever works for you as long as you fly safely and don't impose your activity on other people or place others at risk. Flying in public parks, for example can impose your activty on people who may prefer not to be around RC airplanes. And having RC airplanes flying in the area can place people at risk, no matter how good a pilot you are or how careful you are. They never agreed to that risk. At a club field everyone is there for flying and everyone there understands the risk.

As to being an outsider, recognize that,if you are not a member of the club youare an outsider. That is the definition of outsider, someone who is not part of the group. There is nothing wrong with being an outsider as long as you don't mind be thought of and treated as an outsider. If this makes you uncomfortable then join the club or fly alone.

You can't be an outsider and expect to be treated like you are part of the club. You can't have it both ways.