RCU Forums - View Single Post - Servo Resolution
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2010, 02:50 PM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Servo Resolution

I am looking for some advice regarding the 7950 TH servos. I have installed these servos throughout my F14, but the pair I am concerned about drive the tailplanes. On this model the all flying tailerons utilise a hard closed loop system, with 4 high quality ball links on each, and 3mm hardened steel link rods. However this means that the angular movement of the servo arm is directly translated to the taileron, and it is much too much movement.
In an ideal world the servo movement should be split roughly equally between aileron and elevator travel, totaling around 100% travel, in order to maximise the mechanical advantage and utilise the enourmous power of this servo to its best. In reality I have had to reduce aileron and elevator tral on the transmitter to around 20% of movement for each, so only around 40% of the servos travel is utilised. Hardly ideal, and the result is very jerky taileron movement and poor centreing.
So to my question. If I reduce the servo travel in the servo itself using either the Hitec programmer or Multiplex Multimate, will I get better resolution at the end or will it make no difference to the end result?