RCU Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya or HL??
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2010, 10:37 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Tamiya or HL??

ORIGINAL: STO_118

If you are new to tanks and are buying one because you would like to try it out then I would reccomend a Heng Long vehicle, one with smoke, sound, metal gears, sprockets and tracks. Luckily you are in the US so these can be had for not a lot of money. Matomart can sell you (as well as others) the complete package with the battle system fitted in some models.

I don't have any Tamiya RC tanks simply due to their cost, plenty of static models though. In the UK the cost is quite a bit higher than the US. My only grumble about my HL units is that during a 30 minute session per tank I can expect to spend 5 minutes or more on field repairs. The Tiger's metal drive sprokets split from the bolt backing off (easy fix with thread lock or a better spring washer but not painted yet so no fix) and the Panzer III throws a track pin (plastic tracks wear around the pins quite quickly, I have metal tracks to replace). Once I fix these the only other thing is the sound, especially on the Pnz III is a little basic. Tamiya sound is so much better it is almost sexual.

So in a nutshell the advice for a new tank commander would be as follows, work out what tank model you would like, Panther, Jagdpanther, Tiger etc. Buy a different model of the Heng Long range, Tamiya doesn't do a Pnz III or STuG III for example and both these HL tanks are very good. Use the HL tanks to get a feel for the hobby and to test if you have the time and enjoyment to carry on. If you do and want to move on, then consider about buying a Tamiya kit.

The OP hasn't really mentioned a budget or a cash flow problem so the cost is largely irrelevant.

Resale value per tank is about the same in the UK as a percentage depreciation, the exception to the rule is the Matorro King Tiger which sells for more than new price second hand. Most likely different for the US as it is a different market.

The Tamiya/HL argument is rather pointless, it's like comparing apples to oranges and at a market level the companies and products don't compete with each other.

Great advice and a very good perspective. You were the first one to pick up on the fact HL makes some tanks Tamiya doesn't, so if you want one of these you are going to have to become and HL owner. And because Tamiya doesn't make them their market is secure, and hold their price well. I agree with you over the comparison. Pretty pointless. I try to stay out of this, but when the Tamiya route starts being pushed as the only way to go, I speak out on principle, because so much depends on the individual. Obviously the guys that so actively promote Tamiya as the only way to go generally believe that is because that is what works for them. I am glad I have dabbled in both. Because of this I no longer think Tamiya are over priced. Equally I also fully understand the challenge and hours of enjoyment a Heng long can provide for those who are inclined, and like to Kit bash. If I had taken advice to never bother with a Heng Long, I would probably be back to building and kitbashing trains again.

Most of these debates end up the same way. Good thing is some good points of view are shared and the newbies, get perspective from both sides. He himself can then decide what is best for him

Dan