RCU Forums - View Single Post - Best Time To Fly Magnum
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2003, 08:12 PM
mpriestley
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best Time To Fly Magnum

I am happy to discuss, I really got a great response from my Peanut gallary on sunday.

It is a very basic set up that I pretty much plagerized from our other giant thread on the mangnum, (fist flight crash thread) cant remember the name so I am sorry for not giving the appropriate credit.

use an old tricycle landing gear set up. I used a balsa plank wide enough to fit a small bit of rails, 1/2" square or triangle stock, and the width of the plane. Mine is probably 1 1/2' - 2' long, I made sure that the angle of attack was negative, Ie. the rear of the dolly is slightly higher than the nose.

Then to hold the plane on,
I drilled a hole in the wing across the width right around the wing bolt area. You want to have the wire go through the bottom of the belly pan of the wing.

Make a notch in the dolly rails so that the wire hooks in. ( be sure that the plane can release effortlessly by pulling up on the elevator)

Attach a single rudder servo and radio set up (on the same channel as your plane) on to the undercarriage of your dolly. you now have a steerable dolly and it will track as you would any other pattern plane.

You may need to make some notches for the wing bolts and skids on the dolly, Just make sure it can leave the dolly easily.

I also put a small bit of left rudder trim in it. I correct for the trim while tracking down the runway and mach 2 once I leave the dolly I am no longer steering the dolly and it turns left right of the runway. No problems with the other pilots (although, for some reason, no one else flies when I fly this thing