RCU Forums - View Single Post - Polyester resin mold / Epoxy resin Fuse ???
Old 11-23-2010, 07:49 PM
Scorpion Racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Polyester resin mold / Epoxy resin Fuse ???

Oddy,
SO what you are saying is that when you took the plug out of the mold you just made, the plug stuck to the mold? Or was this a part that you just laid up in the mold?

If the plug stuck in the mold (when you made the mold) I would think that the heat build up from the resin might have caused the paint on the plug to get too hot and come off the plug. I haven't used polyester resin to make a mold, but I think it can get hotter than epoxy and this could have caused the wax barrier and/or paint failure and stuck the plug in the mold. I use Part-all #2 wax and Part-all #10 PVA release with a very slow laminating resin (lower heat build-up). I also had a plug issue in a mold a couple of years ago from using cheap rattle can paint and no PVA on the plug before molding; Never again!! I would think the polyester resin would be fine, as long as you start with a good catalyzed paint on the plug, good high temp molding wax and a molding barrier(PVA) on top.

If you have the molds and the first part was what stuck in the mold, I would look at the wax/PVA you used as the culprit of the sticking issues.

Maybe a little more info may shed some light on it.

By the way, how's that donkey getting along these days?