RCU Forums - View Single Post - Lightning Build
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2010, 06:34 PM
Viper Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lightning Build

Now that the parts are all made, it is time to make something that looks like an airplane, or at least part of one. For the fuselage, I use a very simple jig. I use a base of 3/4" fiberboard that is mounted to my workbench. The stand-offs are each made from two pieces of cheap Lowe's 1/4" plywood, both glued and screwed to a small 45-45-90 triangle cut from pine on my chop saw. The stand-offs are mounted to the base directly over the top view from the plans using hex head machine screws. The fact that they are hex head IS important as later on, you will not have room to get a screwdriver in to remove them from the base. The formers are clamped to the stand-offs, along with a little rubber cement to keep them from slipping. I mount the firewall to its stand-off using 4-40s and several nuts so I can adjust the thrust. I measure the thrust offset and back it up with the digital level. Not very complex, but it results in a fuselage as straight as you line it up, so I spend quite a bit of time double and triple checking each former's placement.

One note, one a previous post, I showed the "cage" put together. It was not glued together, that will be done in the jig.