RCU Forums - View Single Post - Carbon Fiber Landing Gear concern
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2010, 07:04 AM
rcflyerds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber Landing Gear concern

I have a concern about a Graph Tech carbon fiber landing gear that I bought for a Goldberg Extra 300. The bottom of the gear where the axle would go through is just barely over 5/8" wide. It slowly widens as it rises toward the fuselage, but it's still only slightly over 3/4" wide a couple of inches above where the axle would go. My concern is that the hole I will need to insert the axle through will take away so much of the material that I won't have enough left for any strength and the axles will tear out on a hard landing (that never happens...). A couple of the axle sets I've handled need nearly a 3/8" hole which would only leave me about 1/8" in front and behind the axle hole of landing gear material. Am I overly concerned? Are there other axles out there that I haven't found that don't require this large a mounting hole?

For those unfamiliar with the Goldberg Extra 300 it's a 68" span and I will be using a 120 4-stroke. The attached picture shows the bottom of the landing gear next to a ruler so you can see the size of the unit. Anyone have any wisdom for me on this one?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk27935.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	1529259