RCU Forums - View Single Post - DX7 Crashed Two Planes
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2010, 11:57 AM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: DX7 Crashed Two Planes

Inserted text in red is by Zor as a response.

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

Hey - Zor!! I have not talked with you in a while.
It is always nice to read from interested fellows.
As I read your post, you do not mention putting your batteries under a load when measuring the voltage. A No-Load voltage reading is not very useful as the voltage can drop significantly with just a .5a load for NiCad or NiMh.
I have written in one of my postingss that I had the analog voltmeter checking the battery voltage while operating simultaneously all three servos and no needled indication of the voltage dropping. The voltmeter needle was not showingany motion at all. I think the damping on that VTVM is not so that nothing would be detected. The needle was absolutely motionless while the servos were actuated even while holding the surface against the servo motion.
I think there is enough evidence circulating around to indicate that running Spektrum receivers with less than 6v batteries is not wise. If the servos are not compatible with 6v you can use a voltage regulator to drop the voltage, but you are still less likely to have a Brownout than if you were using 4.8v Rx batteries. It is also important to have batteries with more than enough capacity.
Agreed on all in above paragraph. We cannot, of course, expect Spektrum to come out and admit any faults if any. The minimum operating voltages quoted in their manual on pages 16 and 24 is not very goodand makes me wonder (and no doubt many others as well).
I use 2cell 2500mah LiPos in all my aircraft. I use either a 5v or 6v regulator depending upon the servos I use. These batteries are inexpensive to buy, easy to charge quickly, and the charge lasts for a long time.
At this time I plan more research (experimentations) with the system. I do not know what to expect nor how my system will end up to become reliable. Something has to be done. When I have an apparently normal binding with the two red leds solid ON on both receivers and none of the three servos are moving to the control sticks, and the analog voltmeter is steady a 4.8 volts and the digital voltmeter show 4.82 volts, it is really puzzling.
I have an 84" Katana running a 10S 5000mah pack for the motor and a 3cell 2200mah pack for the Rx, using a separate CC Bec. I have been using 2cell 2500mah LiPos in both of my JR XP9303 Tx's (with Spektrum RF Modules) for several years, without issue.

I have two FMA 10S chargers. I connect them to a Pyramid 40a Power Supply in my home or to two 6v Golf Cart batteries (in series) in the back of my van. Some of my fellow club members have Honda 1000w generators and use the generators and power supplies at the field. Recharging is fast and easy.

After many years of NiCad/NiMh, I no longer use them. I also have Eneloop and A123cells, as well.
I think there is nothing wrong using NiCd or NiMH.
I just hope to find time soon enough to carry on further experiments; this time using my DC responding oscilloscope.

Thanks for your posting.

Season's Greetings.

Zor